There are 184 users in the forums

So Singletary will go down with Smith!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
I prayed he learned something from Nolan/Hostler/Raye, btu I guess he is sealing his fate to Alex also. Not to bash but if nothing else his play does not push the offense to be better so in my opinion not a leader...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/552642/alex-smith

None of those coaches failed because of AS, they fail because they all sucked.

Smith sucks. It's been six years and he still hasn't proved ANYTHING. Yeah, I understand he was dealt a bad hand, but the organization has to know when to throw in the cards. I don't think BW can resurrect his career at this point.

Has been six solid years of healthy starting though?

Alex Smith has seen one full season without injury or interference in his six seasons with the 49ers. Smith has attempted 1323 passes in his career. It took Steve Young eight years to attempt as many passes before the 49ers gave him an opportunity to start full-time.

I understand your frustration, but using the six year argument makes you look foolish.

Steve Young was sitting behind Joe Montana. Not Tim Rattay, not JTO, not Hill. BTW, Smith lost out to 2/3 guys in QB competition during training camp. If anything, making these types of comments make YOU look foolish.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think an argument can be made that he doesn't have a choice. The reality is he has left us with no viable back up plan. Putting in Carr or T.Smith is nothing more than a complete shot it the dark. So with a guy like Smith, it's better to boost him up and give him confidance than it is to talk tough. Plus, on the remote chance he can turn it around, when it is time to resign Smith would be the kind of guy that would remember loyalty. In short, there is nothing to gain by empty threats.

Sing dug his own grave by getting rid of Shaun Hill so that Smith wouldn't have to keep looking over his shoulder. Noodle arm was nothing special, but he was miles better than Smith. In the clutch, Hill steps up and performs, while Smith steps up and runs right, throws high, and throws INTs.

Sing deserves this situation. He set himself up for it by putting all his rotten eggs in one basket.

Was it really Dingleberry? I always thought McClueless orchestrated the entire, sordid affair with Shaun Hill -- because Alex was a McClueless draft pick.

But you're saying Dingleberry played into this as well?

The more I think about it? The more it makes sense. He had absolutely no problem benching Shaun Hill after the Houston loss -- even though we still had a .500 record. He never let Shaun see the field again. But with Alex? Everything is fine and dandy after an 0-4 start.

I guess you are right. Good call.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
Smith sucks. It's been six years and he still hasn't proved ANYTHING

Yeah, but out of those 6 years, he's probably played only 3 complete seasons. Still, it's obvious he isn't an NFL caliber starting Qb and is best as a backup.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 7, 2010 at 13:23:17 ]
I think an argument can be made that he doesn't have a choice. The reality is he has left us with no viable back up plan. Putting in Carr or T.Smith is nothing more than a complete shot it the dark. So with a guy like Smith, it's better to boost him up and give him confidance than it is to talk tough. Plus, on the remote chance he can turn it around, when it is time to resign, Smith would be the kind of guy that would remember loyalty. In short, there is nothing to gain by empty threats.

He has no viable backup plan because he made it that way. He got rid of Hill and demoted Davis so Alex had nobody pressing him for PT.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Shaj:
I think an argument can be made that he doesn't have a choice. The reality is he has left us with no viable back up plan. Putting in Carr or T.Smith is nothing more than a complete shot it the dark. So with a guy like Smith, it's better to boost him up and give him confidance than it is to talk tough. Plus, on the remote chance he can turn it around, when it is time to resign Smith would be the kind of guy that would remember loyalty. In short, there is nothing to gain by empty threats.

Sing dug his own grave by getting rid of Shaun Hill so that Smith wouldn't have to keep looking over his shoulder. Noodle arm was nothing special, but he was miles better than Smith. In the clutch, Hill steps up and performs, while Smith steps up and runs right, throws high, and throws INTs.

Sing deserves this situation. He set himself up for it by putting all his rotten eggs in one basket.

Was it really Dingleberry? I always thought McClueless orchestrated the entire, sordid affair with Shaun Hill -- because Alex was a McClueless draft pick.

But you're saying Dingleberry played into this as well?

The more I think about it? The more it makes sense. He had absolutely no problem benching Shaun Hill after the Houston loss -- even though we still had a .500 record. He never let Shaun see the field again. But with Alex? Everything is fine and dandy after an 0-4 start.

I guess you are right. Good call.

Well this is all based on comments Singletary made during his last press conference. He made it clear to everyone who was listening that he wanted Smith to have ZERO competition from other players this year. Enter the Shaun Hill trade and the David Carr signing. The biggest head-scratcher of the entire offseason right there, esp. considering where we are at the moment. I also believe this is the reason he decided to waive Nate Davis for no apparent reason. He didn't want Smith distracted by better players, lol. It really makes no sense to me at all. You want as many viable NFL players as possible on the roster. If Smith can't take the heat of the competition, then he doesn't belong in the NFL.

Singletary is a walking ass. It's funny how he talks all this nonsense about getting better (and has no trouble pulling other players like Lewis, or cutting key veterans like M-Rob) yet he f**ked up the QB position worse than when he started by removing any semblance of competition.

If/when Smith fails, Sing is going down with him.

We're destroying (and will ultimately waste) an entire f**king season because of the incompetence of these two.
It's an all or nothing situation this year, Sing and Smith will succeed or fail together. Which IMO is the best thing for this team.
What better QB does he have?
I prayed he learned something from Nolan/Hostler/Raye, btu I guess he is sealing his fate to Alex also. Not to bash but if nothing else his play does not push the offense to be better so in my opinion not a leader...

Smith sucks. It's been six years and he still hasn't proved ANYTHING. Yeah, I understand he was dealt a bad hand, but the organization has to know when to throw in the cards. I don't think BW can resurrect his career at this point.

Alex Smith has seen one full season without injury or interference in his six seasons with the 49ers. Smith has attempted 1323 passes in his career. It took Steve Young eight years to attempt as many passes before the 49ers gave him an opportunity to start full-time.

I understand your frustration, but using the six year argument makes you look foolish.

That you even mentioned Steve Young in your comparison to Alex Smith shows me how dumb you are. BTW, if you can't get on the field (injuries, losing your starting job, etc.) then you are a BUST. Charles Rogers had World-Class physical abilities but getting injured as well as not being-able to raise his game to the pro level made him a BUST. Does the same not apply to your beloved alex smith???

That you even mentioned Steve Young in your comparison to Alex Smith shows me how dumb you are. BTW, if you can't get on the field (injuries, losing your starting job, etc.) then you are a BUST. Charles Rogers had World-Class physical abilities but getting injured as well as not being-able to raise his game to the pro level made him a BUST. Does the same not apply to your beloved alex smith???

Rogers was drafted by the Lions and they suck. Alex was drafted by the Niners who are awesome. Your argument is invalid.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What better QB does he have?

David Carr is probably better. Troy Smith could be better as well.

You see, David Carr was never surrounded by a team with so much talent. He had such a piss poor oline in Houston and the D was horrid. All they gave him was Andre Johnson. Nothing more. Never had a legit running game either. The Texans ruined David Carr .

These aren't Davexcuses, theyr'e facts!
Originally posted by mayo49:
Quote:

Yeah, but out of those 6 years, he's probably played only 3 complete seasons. Still, it's obvious he isn't an NFL caliber starting Qb and is best as a backup.

I have heard many times about the fact that Alex Smith hasn't played the full six years. While I agree that he's been injured and unable to take physical reps, I don't agree with is that there was nothing he could do while being injured. Watching film and learning how to read defenses is a big part of an NFL QB. My question is if AS really is the work fiend that MS makes him out to be then why hasn't Smith learned to read defenses better with all the time he's had to do so?

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Oct 7, 2010 at 14:36:52 ]
Captain Deflection (Alex) is averaging two picks a game. He's on pace for 32 by the end of season.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
You see, David Carr was never surrounded by a team with so much talent. He had such a piss poor oline in Houston and the D was horrid. All they gave him was Andre Johnson. Nothing more. Never had a legit running game either. The Texans ruined David Carr .

These aren't Davexcuses, theyr'e facts!

Regardless of how bad he looked in Texas, He still put up better stats than Smith. I'm willing to give the guy a shot; hell, at this point, I'd rather watch the Carr out there running the O then Alex. We've seen Alex suck for several years here. Why not change it up and see if David can do better?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Quote:

I have heard many times about the fact that Alex Smith hasn't played the full six years. While I agree that he's been injured and unable to take physical reps, I don't agree with is that there was nothing he could do while being injured. Watching film and learning how to read defenses is a big part of an NFL QB. My question is if AS really is the work fiend that MS makes him out to be then why hasn't Smith learned to read defenses better with all the time he's had to do so?

He can watch film until the cows come home, but he'll never be a playmaking NFL type starting Qb. I think we all know that now. Aaron Rodgers should have been our starting Qb not Smith. They f**ked up royally.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 7, 2010 at 15:43:15 ]
Share 49ersWebzone