LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

The defense is the weakness.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Holding the Defense accountable on the WZ is considered an Alexcuse and is not allowed.

But really we give up huge #'s of points, yards and key last minute drives for the win. Why can our defense never get off the field on the final drive to win the game? The close out defensive stand. We are 2 - 2 this year if they can close out you know. Very terrible CB and Safety coverage. Inconsistent pass rush. They deserve a very fair amount of the blame IMO.

Lost in all of the frenzied Alex hate (and there is lots of it) is the fact that plenty of other parts of our team aren't perfect. Like inability to make a defensive stand when we need it and inability to do simple things like catch a punt.

Insert DefensEXCUSES here:

This is stupid on so many accounts. First of all, even if we stop the Saints it's not a guaranteed victory so where the hell do you get 2-2? There's OT, the coin toss, and Alex Smith's suckage-INT factor to consider.

Secondly, the offense has done absolutely NOTHING in 3 of the 4 games. If you want to blame the D for giving up points to Drew Brees then stand in the f**king line dude. He's arguably the best QB in the NFL. Don't forget that the offense also turned the ball over 3 times inside the 30 in that game.

Do you even want me to start with the Seattle or KC games? In Seattle, the D put the offense in position to seal the game away early...and we get...6 pts? That's not going to cut it in the NFL especially on the road in a home opener. The offense let the Seattle crowd get in it early.

Finally, the fact that anyone can put blame on the Falcons loss on the defense is so preposterously dumb that I can't even fathom how some people can think that. They gave up 16 pts on the road to a playoff team! What the hell else do you want them to do?! Get a pick 6? Maybe that's why Nate was so intent on returning that ball.

Alex Smith ALONE lost us the game in Atlanta. He made two bonehead INTs...there's no other way to cut it. Those INTs are 100% on him and what made it worse is that they came at the most inopportune times. Maybe if he doesn't throw that INT we get 3 or 7 and it's not even a game anymore. Why don't you use that as your "game-losing" set of plays instead of the drive in the D? Just b/c that's how the game ended doesn't mean that was the reason we lost.

Excellent DefensEXCUSES. Thanks for not holding them accountable at all. It's what most WZers do.

. I wonder what you guys will cheer for when Smith isn't retained after this season.
Alex Smith is the weakness. Period. That guy is garbage. Cut him already.
Holding the Defense accountable on the WZ is considered an Alexcuse and is not allowed.

But really we give up huge #'s of points, yards and key last minute drives for the win. Why can our defense never get off the field on the final drive to win the game? The close out defensive stand. We are 2 - 2 this year if they can close out you know. Very terrible CB and Safety coverage. Inconsistent pass rush. They deserve a very fair amount of the blame IMO.

Lost in all of the frenzied Alex hate (and there is lots of it) is the fact that plenty of other parts of our team aren't perfect. Like inability to make a defensive stand when we need it and inability to do simple things like catch a punt.

This is stupid on so many accounts. First of all, even if we stop the Saints it's not a guaranteed victory so where the hell do you get 2-2? There's OT, the coin toss, and Alex Smith's suckage-INT factor to consider.

Secondly, the offense has done absolutely NOTHING in 3 of the 4 games. If you want to blame the D for giving up points to Drew Brees then stand in the f**king line dude. He's arguably the best QB in the NFL. Don't forget that the offense also turned the ball over 3 times inside the 30 in that game.

Do you even want me to start with the Seattle or KC games? In Seattle, the D put the offense in position to seal the game away early...and we get...6 pts? That's not going to cut it in the NFL especially on the road in a home opener. The offense let the Seattle crowd get in it early.

Finally, the fact that anyone can put blame on the Falcons loss on the defense is so preposterously dumb that I can't even fathom how some people can think that. They gave up 16 pts on the road to a playoff team! What the hell else do you want them to do?! Get a pick 6? Maybe that's why Nate was so intent on returning that ball.

Alex Smith ALONE lost us the game in Atlanta. He made two bonehead INTs...there's no other way to cut it. Those INTs are 100% on him and what made it worse is that they came at the most inopportune times. Maybe if he doesn't throw that INT we get 3 or 7 and it's not even a game anymore. Why don't you use that as your "game-losing" set of plays instead of the drive in the D? Just b/c that's how the game ended doesn't mean that was the reason we lost.

Excellent DefensEXCUSES. Thanks for not holding them accountable at all. It's what most WZers do.

. I wonder what you guys will cheer for when Smith isn't retained after this season.

I know right? Maybe they will go be fans of whatever team he signs with as a BACKUP or third string QB.

This is perhaps the most idiotic statement made in this ill-conceived thread. To nesciently suggest that one person is responsible for the loss against Atlanta where clearly multiple players and coaches faltered is actually quite humorous.
Originally posted by Redeemer:

This is perhaps the most idiotic statement made in this ill-conceived thread. To nesciently suggest that one person is responsible for the loss against Atlanta where clearly multiple players and coaches faltered is actually quite humorous.

There are tons of plays where a game is won and lost. But to suggest that anyone other than Alex Smith is primarily to blame for this loss is downright idiotic. In fact, it's "quite hilarious" that someone would be that shallow to begin with. So what does that make you?
[ Edited by Leathaface on Oct 6, 2010 at 1:15 AM ]

New Orleans - W.
Atlanta - W.

If our Defense can get off the field on the last drive. That's their job. Close out the game. The Ravens do it all the time.

• Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Originally posted by Adman:
When it comes down to it...forget about all of the mistakes that were made early in the NO and ATL games. We had every right to win those games. When all you need is a defensive stop to get to OT or win the game, your defense BETTER make that stop.

Why is it everytime we need a simple defense stop...we cant do it? The opposing offense just marches right down and scores. WTF!!!!! The ATL game we had them at 3rd and 15. And we give up a 20 yard pass to a TE. What type of defense does that?!??!

2011 draft we need a CB or some type of DB in the first round! No drafting QB's. Go get a proven starter! (We missed McNabb)

and what? stick with Smith at the healm no way jose! I say we trade Clements for a first round pick and then we can get a QB and a CB

Clements for a first round pick?

Seriously though, I agree with the original post that the defense seems to choke when the other team is desperate to score. We could definitely be 2-2 now if that was not the case. However, I disagree that the defense is the weakness of this team, rather, it is A weakness. I won't even begin to discuss what I believe are several problems with the offense, since that's not what this thread is about.

We have had glaring needs in the secondary and pass rushing positions for many years now, and while I agree that offensive line was more of a need last year, it is long overdue to address the following:

cornerback--Spencer's o.k.
Clements is just too slow now

safety--Goldson has been getting beat alot

pass rusher--we need an elite pass rusher!

We need to use the draft as well as free agency.

Go Niners---------------Please beat the Eagles this Sunday!!!
Originally posted by Tombo:
When it comes down to it...forget about all of the mistakes that were made early in the NO and ATL games. We had every right to win those games. When all you need is a defensive stop to get to OT or win the game, your defense BETTER make that stop.

Why is it everytime we need a simple defense stop...we cant do it? The opposing offense just marches right down and scores. WTF!!!!! The ATL game we had them at 3rd and 15. And we give up a 20 yard pass to a TE. What type of defense does that?!??!

2011 draft we need a CB or some type of DB in the first round! No drafting QB's. Go get a proven starter! (We missed McNabb)

and what? stick with Smith at the healm no way jose! I say we trade Clements for a first round pick and then we can get a QB and a CB

Seriously though, I agree with the original post that the defense seems to choke when the other team is desperate to score. We could definitely be 2-2 now if that was not the case. However, I disagree that the defense is the weakness of this team, rather, it is A weakness. I won't even begin to discuss what I believe are several problems with the offense, since that's not what this thread is about.

We have had glaring needs in the secondary and pass rushing positions for many years now, and while I agree that offensive line was more of a need last year, it is long overdue to address the following:

Clements is not slow. He just jumps way, way, way too many routes. And that gets him 3 - 5 steps behind. Too much to make up in the NFL. In the Atlanta game he was setting up his blockers abliet holding the ball like a loaf of bread. But he slowed down to set up blockers on the int. Go back and look at the tape.
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tombo:

Clements is not slow. He just jumps way, way, way too many routes. And that gets him 3 - 5 steps behind. Too much to make up in the NFL. In the Atlanta game he was setting up his blockers abliet holding the ball like a loaf of bread. But he slowed down to set up blockers on the int. Go back and look at the tape.

You are absolutely correct on that interception return with the blockers, as well as jumping routes. Don't get me wrong, I like Clements and the way he handles even some of the elite receivers like Fitzgerald, but he has slowed down enough that he can't keep up with the really speedy receivers. We need a fast cover corner.

New Orleans - W.
Atlanta - W.

If our Defense can get off the field on the last drive. That's their job. Close out the game. The Ravens do it all the time.

You do realize that the game was TIED when we scored the 2pt conversion against the Saints right? Tied, as in, the score was even. We had the SAME amount of points as they did. How exactly would a stop there have won it for us? No guarantee.

Your blind Smith homerism is clouding your perceptions of reality (past and present).

New Orleans - W.
Atlanta - W.

You do realize that the game was TIED when we scored the 2pt conversion against the Saints right? Tied, as in, the score was even. We had the SAME amount of points as they did. How exactly would a stop there have won it for us? No guarantee.

Your blind Smith homerism is clouding your perceptions of reality (past and present).

Their job is to stop them and get the ball to our offense.

Why couldn't they do it? Insert DefensEXCUSES:

New Orleans - W.
Atlanta - W.

Now you're just being stupid. I'm done here.

New Orleans - W.
Atlanta - W.

Owned...

New Orleans - W.
Atlanta - W.

Owned...

our defense should be able to stop them at the end of games atleast some of the time. everytime theyre given the chance to end the game they get pushed all the way downfield and we lose. our offense still sucks, 7 points in a game is unacceptable but defense deserves some blame too.
Share 49ersWebzone