There are 161 users in the forums

Latest from Lowell

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cools
  • Veteran
Not usually a Cohn fan,,,but this one is priceless

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20101004/sports/101009777
[ Edited by cools on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:18 PM ]
What do you want Sing to do? I don't really give a rat's ass what he says or does during good or bad times. At the end of the season his success will depend on how far we go into the playoffs, if we make the playoffs. And if we don't and he's fired so be it. On to the next regime :)
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=146891
I can't argue with Cohn.

But it's too easy to bash a winless coach.

He's probably a Webzone member too and knows the consensus of the fan base. lol

Mods pls confirm this! lol
I think he's over-reaching a bit, Singletary fits in nicely with the "blow hard" school of coaching--ie the Ryans, Ditka, Gruden, Phillips, Glanville, Lombardi, etc. Some blowhards suck, some are average, others are legends, one has a trophy named after him. A lot of them seem to be flashes in the pan. The same goes for the "nerd" school--aside from the trophy, of course.

Coach's from the blow hard school largely get by on their charisma (even Lombardi had a tough go of it in Washington) and Singletary is no exception to that rule. I don't think he's at all unique when you stop to think about it.
Lowell Cohen is s**t.

If there isn't anything overwhelmingly negative to say he generally lacks insight and knowledge.

Keep it coming from the Matts.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
I think he's over-reaching a bit, Singletary fits in nicely with the "blow hard" school of coaching--ie the Ryans, Ditka, Gruden, Phillips, Glanville, Lombardi, etc. Some blowhards suck, some are average, others are legends, one has a trophy named after him. A lot of them seem to be flashes in the pan. The same goes for the "nerd" school--aside from the trophy, of course.

Coach's from the blow hard school largely get by on their charisma (even Lombardi had a tough go of it in Washington) and Singletary is no exception to that rule. I don't think he's at all unique when you stop to think about it.

Screw him too. I hate reporters.

It's a hell of a lot easier to sit back and judge, then to actually perform.
I'm a reporter (although not in sports). And yes, screw this guy. I agree with what's been said, there's all kinds of personalities, and Sing's is eccentric. But all of the things that make him sound empty and pretentious also work to his credit as long as he's winning. Tha't s what its about. Why we get so personal and so vicious toward public figures--athletes, celebrities, politicians--over matters of performance is beyond me.
Nicely said, Surly.

If you don't mind my asking, what's your beat?
LOL. I really like that guy. May favorite 49ers reporter...

Originally posted by Surly-Z:
I'm a reporter (although not in sports). And yes, screw this guy. I agree with what's been said, there's all kinds of personalities, and Sing's is eccentric. But all of the things that make him sound empty and pretentious also work to his credit as long as he's winning. Tha't s what its about. Why we get so personal and so vicious toward public figures--athletes, celebrities, politicians--over matters of performance is beyond me.

I don't hate you, at least not yet.

I haven't read any of your material.

p.s. Since I consider myself enlightened, "hate"is the wrong word. More like despise.
meh

typical lowell cohn. His act is tired and has no real journalistic value. Brian Murphy (KNBR) just loves this guy though
I like this part of the article and agree with it.

Quote:
He sounds wonderful. He specializes in sound. What do the sounds mean?

He wants to take it to the next gear. What is the next gear? Is the team stuck in second? Or is it going in reverse? Explain the words, please. Be specific. Talk football.

He is thankful he has problems — like no wins and players who leave and a rat on the premises trying to subvert him. In his world of words these are good things and he gives thanks. Would he give more thanks at 0-16?

He feels very good about his football team. That is an impressive thing to say. Other coaches would feel angry, make the players’ lives hell until they could win just one game. It’s nice to know he feels good and he feels encouraged.

even if he feels that the team played hard and "almost" beat a good team like the Falcons... he needs to hide that sh1t and let the team know we are WINLESS.....WINLESS!

and it is unacceptable to stay winless....doesn't matter if we almost won....don't just try to almost win.... in their mind set we should blow these teams out, cuz we are embarrassed of our previous games...cuz we are disappointing our fans.

I know is not a time to lose your cool or anything, but he needs to put his foot down.

or pants, hehe
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:56 PM ]
Agree and disagree with the column. I agree Sing has been exposed as someone with great drive, passion and leadership, but not quite the acumen or skill to be a successful head coach.

But I disagree that Sing should be downtrodden and pessimistic like he seems to suggest, is that going to make things any better? I mean I really don't think we make the playoffs at this point and neither does Cohn, but does that mean Sing should just throw in the towel on the season too and give up? I'm not too high on coach Sing right now and he's shown some major weaknesses as a head coach but I admire that he's not letting this get him down and is determined to push forward.
I didn't feel it was that off base and I'm glad the media is standing up to Coach in an attempt to make him accept responsibility for his inactions and be accountable. I don't know Singletary but the past few weeks have made me not like what I have seen. He seems to be pompous, a bit of a bully, and a hypocrite. The fact that he feels he should not have to answer to media when they ask questions he does not like is ridiculous. His job is one of the ultimate performance based jobs. If you don't perform then you need to be humble and offer answers. It would be different if the media was asking him disrespectful questions but I haven't seen that. I think his coaching has been very suspect this season and he owes some answers instead of trying to bully his way out of it or offer up cheesy sports cliches. My two cents...
Share 49ersWebzone