There are 219 users in the forums

Some thoughts on Crabtree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He is not a Randy Moss, Jerry rice or TO, the best comparison that I could give him would be lesser version of Bruce. Not a WR that is going to make a QB look good but a WR that can be good in the right system with the right QB. I say lesser because his route running is raw and his work ethic came into question this year. I'll give him a year pass due to sophmore slump possible and the fact that he is young, and also bringing into question just how good our coaching staff is. Crabtree should be in a west coast system running slants, crosses and wheel routs all day, hes not going to scare a whole lot of people deep and most of the time you see him open deep due to busted coverage. Plus we don't have a QB that has the accuracy to drop it just over his shoulder it hit him in stride so he is going to be limited.
If we could just get Crabtree in space, we'd see why he was as highly regarded as he was.

The guy had LONG arms and great hands and is deadly after the catch. The problem is that he's not getting the ball in a situation where he can break tackles and make something of it. He is very seldom getting the ball in space.

He almost broke his only catch vs the Saints by making 2 great moves (a cut and a spin).

The prioblem may be the offfense. It may be Smith. It may be him missing time.

Dunno, but I have every confidense that AT WORST, he will be a very good NFL WR.
I do know whenever Crabtree gets the ball theirs always 2 defenders right there
[ Edited by DANADA on Oct 4, 2010 at 9:04 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Lack of burning speed, dropsies, high expectations, early disappointment.

Who does that remind me of?

Pack it up, guys. He did well last
year. Pretty much the whole team is crud right now. Crabtree will be fine.

The whole team isn't "crud." Just our QB is.

We played well enough to beat a 2-1 Falcons team on the road but our QB f**ked it up.

We didn't play well enough to beat them, and it wasn't only the qb who struggled. And this season I put it against the whole team. Yes, a change of one player might take us to a better place, but which player can be proud of his 2010 performance to date?

I agree, it took everyone working together to screw the Atlanta game up, but you have to admit if you put a top 10 QB on this roster that we would probably be 2-2 not 0-4, simple as that.
He is good after the catch.
Originally posted by 49Gorillas:

We played well enough to beat a 2-1 Falcons team on the road but our QB f**ked it up.

We didn't play well enough to beat them, and it wasn't only the qb who struggled. And this season I put it against the whole team. Yes, a change of one player might take us to a better place, but which player can be proud of his 2010 performance to date?

I agree, it took everyone working together to screw the Atlanta game up, but you have to admit if you put a top 10 QB on this roster that we would probably be 2-2 not 0-4, simple as that.

Don't see anything in my posts disagreeing with you. Actually maybe 3-1.
Originally posted by rtj03:
I really feel that Crabtree is nothing special. Not the type of reciever to scare defenses. I know he has Alex as a qb so that is a defense for him but he is slow and not a good runner after the catch. He cant get seperation. Also, the whole diva thing really bothers me because he isnt at t tech and hasnt done anything.

I still feel we need another wr.

Crabtree is overrated!

U trippin.

Once we get a real QB Crabtree will blow up.
It's still a little early to know what the Niners have in Crabtree. However, I think we all agree that he is NOT fast. Is he quick? Maybe. Does he get separation? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Does he get enough separation? I don't know.

Can he run after the catch? So far, not really.

He looks like he's on his way to being a #2 receiver in this league. Damn it!.....for a #10 overall pick.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Originally posted by rtj03:
I really feel that Crabtree is nothing special. Not the type of reciever to scare defenses. I know he has Alex as a qb so that is a defense for him but he is slow and not a good runner after the catch. He cant get seperation. Also, the whole diva thing really bothers me because he isnt at t tech and hasnt done anything.

I still feel we need another wr.

Crabtree is overrated!

U trippin.

Once we get a real QB Crabtree will blow up.

Crabtree will blow up... in the locker room if we don't get a new QB in there fast. He's a DIVA remember?
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Where are you guys getting this from? He WAS good after the catch...at Texas Tech. other than the one play in the NO game where he made a couple guys miss then didn't have the speed to break away he's been a "catch it, get tackled immediately" type of player. Even going back to last season when he was playing well he didn't really make any remarkable plays after the catch.

Overrated.

Originally posted by mac707g:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Where are you guys getting this from? He WAS good after the catch...at Texas Tech. other than the one play in the NO game where he made a couple guys miss then didn't have the speed to break away he's been a "catch it, get tackled immediately" type of player. Even going back to last season when he was playing well he didn't really make any remarkable plays after the catch.

Overrated.

He's averaged 4.0 yards after the catch last year and 4.5 this year. You can't complain about his RAC so far. That's not a number to be blown away by, but it is serviceable.

IDK why you're complaining about the Saints play when he did pick up a good 12 yards of RAC on it.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:33 AM ]
I feel bad for all of our receivers. They must get a yard open to possibly get thrown to. Our College QB can't throw to NFL open WR's.

We clearly played well enough to beat them...they won on a last second FG.

If our QB doesn't throw those bonehead INTs, we win. Period.
pipe down fellas!!! we did go 4-0 in the preseason...!
QB/WR fancy smancy...

ahhhh.... damnit, we do need another QB!!!!!!!!!!
Crabtree needs Ginn in the slot.
Share 49ersWebzone