LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

All's Well That Ends Well

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by elguapo:
All's Well That Ends Well... and that's going to hold true for our 49ers.

Yes, clearly we are 0-4 and things on the surface look a bit grim. BUT, the fact that we can (and will IMO) finish with a winning record is more that reasonable. No, i do not feel that i am a homer, but you can call me that if you wish. IMO here's why there are reasons for optimism amongst all this pessimism:

1.) 2 of our 4 losses have been last second field goal losses to the cream of the crop (NO and ATL) in the NFC.

2.) 3 of our 4 losses are ROAD losses in 3 of the more difficult environments in the NFL.

3.) Despite our lack of scoring vs ATL, any one that has watched every minute of every 49er game the past 20 games knows that was one of the better called games that we've had in some time. In our first week w/ a new OC we showed the ability to utilize the entire field, use multiple set and motions, and create mismatches and misdirections against a very good and underrated defense. The big stat for me is our marked improvement on 3rd down efficiency, going 6-12.

4.) Alex Smith is showing PROGRESS. Yes, the play where he tried to make something out of nothing on the pick tipped off Gores hand was STUPID. BUT, the more he plays, the more he'll learn those aren't the types of risks that offer much reward. The second pick really was a great defensive scheme by the Falcons. Give credit where credit is due. They're payed to stop offenses and that type of coverage would have fooled even the great Peyton Manning. So what did i see in Alex? Accuracy, intelligence, and the willingness to take chances. He completed almost 66% of his passes. He was something like 10 for his first 10. The deep ball to Walker drew PI and on a big 3rd and 1. The deep ball to Morgan, man if Alex had just a spilt second more i say he hits him deep. Woulda been nice to see Josh dive for that ball. The intelligence was on display when in shotgun on 3rd and 5 he audibles, motions gore from the right to the left and gives a draw to gore, first down! Just a great read of the defensive setup.

5.) Our schedule gets insanely easy!
- Eagles @ home where we play well. NO VICK. We own on prime-time. Especially our D. W
- Oak, C'mon man. W
- Panthers? Rookie qb? Easy. W
- Den in London, who knows? W/L
- Rams, Bucs, Cards thats 3 straight. W
- GB has ownage- L
- Sea, we get revenge @ home- W
- SD who knows? W/L
- Rams and Cards to finish out?? W

That's at least 8 with as many as 10 or 11 wins.

KEEP THE FAITH ALIVE. Look for the positives, cuz the negatives are for the deserters

SO TRUE! my post yesterday said this as well. i am still saying 9-7 and a division win....these fans that panic need to realize At SEA at ATL and NO were all seen as losses by most of us fans. 1-3 or 2-2 was most of our projected records. Not to worry by the end of the year we will see the niners OL hopefully gel somewhat and our wr's actually need to get some seperation to help alex like most other teams OL's and wr's.

And all of you know we spanked the saints and Falcons and we can't kill ourselves every game.

There are no moral victories, but there is no question who the better team was Monday night vs the saints and who the better team was today. They got the win yes, but losses like this build character and confidence. Sometimes character and confidence can win you games when the execution is missing.

While I like your predictions about OAK, CAR, SEA, and ARZ...Kind of disagree with STL I think Bradford is the real deal. He has no star receivers and a converts a lot on third down which tells me that he plays pretty well. AND they spanked SEA @ home.
Originally posted by seeking6th:
4-4 into the bye... 6-8 after the bye = 10-6

100% doable

Yes, clearly we are 0-4 and things on the surface look a bit grim. BUT, the fact that we can (and will IMO) finish with a winning record is more that reasonable. No, i do not feel that i am a homer, but you can call me that if you wish. IMO here's why there are reasons for optimism amongst all this pessimism:

1.) 2 of our 4 losses have been last second field goal losses to the cream of the crop (NO and ATL) in the NFC.

2.) 3 of our 4 losses are ROAD losses in 3 of the more difficult environments in the NFL.

3.) Despite our lack of scoring vs ATL, any one that has watched every minute of every 49er game the past 20 games knows that was one of the better called games that we've had in some time. In our first week w/ a new OC we showed the ability to utilize the entire field, use multiple set and motions, and create mismatches and misdirections against a very good and underrated defense. The big stat for me is our marked improvement on 3rd down efficiency, going 6-12.

4.) Alex Smith is showing PROGRESS. Yes, the play where he tried to make something out of nothing on the pick tipped off Gores hand was STUPID. BUT, the more he plays, the more he'll learn those aren't the types of risks that offer much reward. The second pick really was a great defensive scheme by the Falcons. Give credit where credit is due. They're payed to stop offenses and that type of coverage would have fooled even the great Peyton Manning. So what did i see in Alex? Accuracy, intelligence, and the willingness to take chances. He completed almost 66% of his passes. He was something like 10 for his first 10. The deep ball to Walker drew PI and on a big 3rd and 1. The deep ball to Morgan, man if Alex had just a spilt second more i say he hits him deep. Woulda been nice to see Josh dive for that ball. The intelligence was on display when in shotgun on 3rd and 5 he audibles, motions gore from the right to the left and gives a draw to gore, first down! Just a great read of the defensive setup.

- Eagles @ home where we play well. NO VICK. We own on prime-time. Especially our D. W
- Oak, C'mon man. W
- GB has ownage- L
- SD who knows? W/L

KEEP THE FAITH ALIVE. Look for the positives, cuz the negatives are for the deserters

Points well made! BUT, even if it plays out with a 10/6 season, I do not believe Singletary is the coach to get us to the super bowl. M Johnson called a very good game, and I do look forward to seeing how the O plays after he's had more time to work the offensive players and staff. Very pleased with the Johnson to OC move.
[ Edited by Maui9er on Oct 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM ]
Originally posted by digital9er:

- Oak, C'mon man. W
- GB has ownage- L
- SD who knows? W/L

SO TRUE! my post yesterday said this as well. i am still saying 9-7 and a division win....these fans that panic need to realize At SEA at ATL and NO were all seen as losses by most of us fans. 1-3 or 2-2 was most of our projected records. Not to worry by the end of the year we will see the niners OL hopefully gel somewhat and our wr's actually need to get some seperation to help alex like most other teams OL's and wr's.

And all of you know we spanked the saints and Falcons and we can't kill ourselves every game.

There are no moral victories, but there is no question who the better team was Monday night vs the saints and who the better team was today. They got the win yes, but losses like this build character and confidence. Sometimes character and confidence can win you games when the execution is missing.

While I like your predictions about OAK, CAR, SEA, and ARZ...Kind of disagree with STL I think Bradford is the real deal. He has no star receivers and a converts a lot on third down which tells me that he plays pretty well. AND they spanked SEA @ home.

The more tape the rookie puts out, the better we and the league will defend him. He has tendencies that will be exposed. I do like him, dont get me wrong, but against our d... i'm sorry. He hasn't played a d like ours yet.
Originally posted by Maui9er:

- Oak, C'mon man. W
- GB has ownage- L
- SD who knows? W/L

Points well made! BUT, even if it plays out with a 10/6 season, I do not believe Singletary is the coach to get us to the super bowl. M Johnson call a very good game, and I do look forward to seeing how the O plays after he's had more time to work offense.

It should be a fun ride! Even if we go 10 and 6 and sing gets fired thats fine. Because at the end of the day, all i want to see is that we are IMPROVING. I'm encouraged after today
4-4 into the bye... 6-8 after the bye = 10-6

100% doable

Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by rawdel:

- Oak, C'mon man. W
- GB has ownage- L
- SD who knows? W/L

Dont tell me. Show me.

with or without the trousers?

With the trousers, but at the ankles.

the doll give us back the doll

- Oak, C'mon man. W
- GB has ownage- L
- SD who knows? W/L

Interesting points. It gives some hope, but 0-4 is an uphill climb. This is regardless of who the rest of the opponents are. A road game is always a cause for concern, especially with our team. We could end up with 8-8 or 7-9, which looks ok given the start. In the end, it might not get the job done...and that's what counts.

With players like Gore, VD, Morgan, Crabtree, Westbrook, Walker, it would seem we are a good offense. Something is just not right, and it's sad.
Singletary and Alex have a long way to go, and there's just not enough time. I don't think either will remain with the team if we don't make the playoffs.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Smith is not making progress. One drive he is the next coming...then the next drive he's Ryan Leafs brother. You just can't win games consistently like that.

Smith was better LAST year than he is this year. That's the baffling part. Last year: the 2nd half at Houston, Seattle game, Jags game, Colts game, and of course the last two...Smith was decent. We could at least TRUST him with the ball.

Now we can't even do that. The guy has regressed big time.

End Thread
  • 49ERJ
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Smith is not making progress. One drive he is the next coming...then the next drive he's Ryan Leafs brother. You just can't win games consistently like that.

Smith was better LAST year than he is this year. That's the baffling part. Last year: the 2nd half at Houston, Seattle game, Jags game, Colts game, and of course the last two...Smith was decent. We could at least TRUST him with the ball.

Now we can't even do that. The guy has regressed big time.

End Thread

AGREED! Niner Fans, stop with the excuses please....just stop. Smith is not our future, and shouldn't be our now!

Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Can we get ONE win before we start predicting wins all over the place?? At the moment, we are 0-4. We don't have the right to start predicting wins against anyone.

we have the right to predict whatever we want. lol

this
Share 49ersWebzone