LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Sources: Mike Singletary's job safe

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
no point of firing singletary now, let him finish out the yr and then get rid of him. 1st choice is gruden 2nd harbaugh. leaving out cowher because he wont come here unless we make him the highest paid hc EVER. get harbaugh if gruden declines and hope he persuades luck to come out early and with the way were going we'll have a shot at luck or we wouldnt have to trade away the farm for him

I like

no, why sit on our hands and just ride this out..when we can TRY something different.... even if it's Munusky, I don't care...as long as they care about their jobs and they are not stubborn and play favorites...and are not attached to Alex, like Sing and Nolan.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 3, 2010 at 9:11 PM ]
Originally posted by PTulini:
I believe 100% that anything less than making the playoffs this season will cost Mike Singletary his job.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Singletary is doing a great job. It is not his fault that the front office hasn't provided him with the talent he needs. It also isn't his fault that the players don't execute the game plan to perfection. This guy is a Hall of Fame coach. If the 49ers fire him you are going to be amazed at the bidding war for his services. If he gets fired it will cause a rash of HC firings around the NFL as teams will want to create an immediate opening for his services.
Originally posted by BobS:
Singletary is doing a great job. It is not his fault that the front office hasn't provided him with the talent he needs. It also isn't his fault that the players don't execute the game plan to perfection. This guy is a Hall of Fame coach. If the 49ers fire him you are going to be amazed at the bidding war for his services. If he gets fired it will cause a rash of HC firings around the NFL as teams will want to create an immediate opening for his services.

Drugs are bad mmkay?!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by bret:
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by cortana49:
We should keep Singletary until the end of the year. Use the remainder of the year to scout a good, experienced head coach for 2011.

Why? Can Sing NOW and bring in a truly interim head coach. Siefert, or some other retired HC with no real interest in staying. It has been done before. Then go get a real HC.

We have tried the "re-tead" Ericson
We have tried the "up and coming" coordinator, Nolan.
We have tried the Hire from "with in" Singletary, whats eft?

Hire a great college coach, Harbaugh?

How many GREAT college coaches pan out in the NFL? To me, it more of the same thing we've been doing - experimenting. Enough of the fcking with unknowns and lets deal with known commodities for once. Please.

I can think of one...BILL WALSH.

Bill Walsh was a long-term NFL coordinator. He was coach of Sanford AFTER the Niners.

That said, I'd rather have an up-and-comer from college than an NFL has-been. The Tuna has got to be pushing 70. Is he really going o have the energy for the job? Bill Cowher was a great coach, but he was a DEFENSIVE coach with a great structure around him. Gruden did well in Oakland and with the team he inherited in TB. But he wasn't able to sustain it. His reputation is bigger than anything except his ego. I'd rather take Harbaugh any day. He isn't some lifetime college coach whose success is based on recruiting; he's an NFL-pedrigeed coach whose philosophy would mesh nicely with our personnel. For a more daring choice, I'd be thrilled with Chris Peterson.!

BEFORE and AFTER he coached the niners Bill coached at Stanford twice! Bill was also a high school football coach, like Harbaugh!

They came from two different wombs and they have two different sets of genetics. Do not compare because Stanford is where the similarities end.
[ Edited by ObePwnD on Oct 3, 2010 at 9:40 PM ]
I have posted long and lengthily on this before, but i will re-summarize:

1) i don't see any problem letting our new OC head up half the team and the Dc head up the other half. STs would be D, or divided. We've been down this road before, and hanging on to a loser is bad karma. Make bm gone, and let's see how MJ and manusky do on their own. DO YOU REALLY THINK MJ called three straight frank left, right and center? THat was MJ calling the plays with "BMs thingy" in his ear. As i've said all along, BM is calling O and D, and that is why neither works. Can't prove it but three straight dives by frank pretty well tells me BM is still calling O. AND THAT is why he needs to be schidt canned NOW...a perfect time. LEt manusk and MJ show us what they got, without BMs schidt in their schidt.

2) i have suggested asking Tony Dungy to take mercy on us as a caretaker for rest of season, while baalke works on a long term hire.

3)Gruden is still available and 12 weeks would be a good time to see if he is a fit.

4) We've already seen what BM has...and sadly it ain't near enough. HOF LBer, hall of shame HC. But then again when was the last time EVER in nfl history, a young kid hired a HC with only promotional speaking and LB coaching as a resume? ANSWER >>>NEVER.

5) as long as BM keeps leaving his moniker, "BMs" all over the green grass, it is silly to expect an improvement. Sure Nate made a mistake, and should have gone to the ground. But did you ever see a team coached by walsh, lombardi, bellichek, payton, ever pull a boneheaded stunt like that? NO? well reason is they coach all the little things, like not fielding a punt at the 'Stick in high winds, not hiking the ball over the QBs head, not fumbling in redzone...i mean, guys, teams, and coaches of those teams work on stuff like that. BM doesn't even know what he has to coach and remind his guys of.

I say, make the break now, send baalke into full search mode, immediately let MJ and manusk call O and D , WITHOUT a HC. BM being gone is way better than him being here dragging this team in one direction...straight down. Fix the mistake now. WE all recognize it, so do it ASAP. I for one don't really give a dam about not having a HC, esp when it is a bona fide loser like we got. What i really don't understand, is why anyone is so surprised a guy with no experience wouldn't make horse schidt for a HC. He did...and now he should go. Actually needs to be fired.

Look at it this way. MJ on his own, is not going to call a worse game than BM. NOr is manusky. REally, i'd kinda like to see what each of those guys has...or hasn't. We've already established that BM isn't the one. So fire him already.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I say we give Sing the rest of the year to see what he can do. At 0-4, what coach is going to want to come in and right the ship anyhow. No one in their right mind will take over a team during the season. Why promote someone within, just let him finish the year and lets see what happens. He fired Raye, we all agreed with that. They almost beat ATL, and we can all agree the defense should have won this game as they had it right in their hands. Mike Johnson called a great game and we can see the potential of what the offense could bring the rest of the season. The defense shows they can keep a high-powered offense in check for most of the game (Saints and Falcons) but its in the 4th quarter that the defense needs to stop the mistakes...*cough*Clements*cough*.

The fact that we're in a sorry a** division helps to.
We should keep Singletary until the end of the year. Use the remainder of the year to scout a good, experienced head coach for 2011.

Why? Can Sing NOW and bring in a truly interim head coach. Siefert, or some other retired HC with no real interest in staying. It has been done before. Then go get a real HC.

How many GREAT college coaches pan out in the NFL? To me, it more of the same thing we've been doing - experimenting. Enough of the fcking with unknowns and lets deal with known commodities for once. Please.

Bill Walsh was a long-term NFL coordinator. He was coach of Sanford AFTER the Niners.

That said, I'd rather have an up-and-comer from college than an NFL has-been. The Tuna has got to be pushing 70. Is he really going o have the energy for the job? Bill Cowher was a great coach, but he was a DEFENSIVE coach with a great structure around him. Gruden did well in Oakland and with the team he inherited in TB. But he wasn't able to sustain it. His reputation is bigger than anything except his ego. I'd rather take Harbaugh any day. He isn't some lifetime college coach whose success is based on recruiting; he's an NFL-pedrigeed coach whose philosophy would mesh nicely with our personnel. For a more daring choice, I'd be thrilled with Chris Peterson.!

BEFORE and AFTER he coached the niners Bill coached at Stanford twice! Bill was also a high school football coach, like Harbaugh!

They came from two different wombs and they have two different sets of genetics. Do not compare because Stanford is where the similarities end.

Bill Walsh completely altered the game of football, every team in the NFL uses one of his innovations, weather it is filming practice, scripting plays ,or a short passing game, and on and on and on. Those of old enough to remember would never compare anyone to Bill Walsh! He is arguably the most important figure in modern football.

You said college coaches rarely pan out in the NFL, I immediately thought of Walsh.

As for bringing in a retread, like Gruden or Billick it would be fine if you want to be average, but greatness comes to those who dare!

Is Harbaugh the most daring choice, no he isn't maybe the coach at Boise, or the fella in Nevada that invented the "Pistol" offense.

I know this Singletary will never get it done, not unless he humbles himself and admits his weaknesses...fat chance!

This! Though the Chris Peterson thing is a bit crazy. Interesting nonetheless. I'm intrigued by the idea of Brian Billick. He's a smart dude and has been successful with a similar team. Don't know if he wants to coach anymore though.
We should let Sing finish the season basically, and no matter what he does give him the axe afterwards then hire Gruden.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I have posted long and lengthily on this before, but i will re-summarize:

1) i don't see any problem letting our new OC head up half the team and the Dc head up the other half. STs would be D, or divided. We've been down this road before, and hanging on to a loser is bad karma. Make bm gone, and let's see how MJ and manusky do on their own. DO YOU REALLY THINK MJ called three straight frank left, right and center? THat was MJ calling the plays with "BMs thingy" in his ear. As i've said all along, BM is calling O and D, and that is why neither works. Can't prove it but three straight dives by frank pretty well tells me BM is still calling O. AND THAT is why he needs to be schidt canned NOW...a perfect time. LEt manusk and MJ show us what they got, without BMs schidt in their schidt.

2) i have suggested asking Tony Dungy to take mercy on us as a caretaker for rest of season, while baalke works on a long term hire.

3)Gruden is still available and 12 weeks would be a good time to see if he is a fit.

Let me just clarify...you are suggesting the firing of Singletary now and the hiring of either Tony Dungy or Jon Gruden right now during the season? What would you expect to change? They would be either running the current systems or installing their own DURING the season. You've gone mad, man.

There's not much you can do during the season. The OC change was a good move and was necessary. The defense showed they can play well. We need a capable QB right now, not an immediate change at head coach. That's what the offseason is for. If anything, hiring an advisor for Sing/the front office would be a wise move.
Singletary needs to step down. It would be classy and respected if he did so.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

He ain't gonna do that.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

He ain't gonna do that.

Hari-Kari!!! At least I could respect him if he did so.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hades49:
Originally posted by BobS:

Drugs are bad mmkay?!

Sarcasm, I wanted him fired after last season's 8-8.
Share 49ersWebzone