There are 225 users in the forums

Mike Lombardi on Singletary's Mess

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
Its Singletary's mess, thanks to the QB.

haha yea its alex fault. he made himself the starter, he didnt go after mcnabb or vick or whoever else. he also didnt draft a qb. clearly all alex's fault LMAO
Originally posted by boriken_9er:

I am baffled by people's irrationality. Alex is not Great, maybe not even ok, but this whole team sucks right now. No unit or player has done anything.

How come Alex sucks and Gore does not?

cause Gore is not the QB

and what has he done?
Originally posted by Yetiman:
I used to really like Lombardi, but lately I think he's overly critical of the 49ers...maybe because he used to work for them in the glory years and hasn't adjusted to the new reality.

He makes a useful point at the end of the article, though:

"The 49ers are 31st in points scored, which cost offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye his job, but they are also 28th in defensive points allowed. Their 0-3 start is not just one person's fault, but rather an entire team effort."

Why would you stop liking a guy because you dont like what you hear? Why wouldn't he be "overly critical"?? This organization has been a f**king joke in recent years. He helped build a dynasty here and knows what it takes to succeed.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

haha yea its alex fault. he made himself the starter, he didnt go after mcnabb or vick or whoever else. he also didnt draft a qb. clearly all alex's fault LMAO

Great point. We could have cut his ass and gone out and signed a great FA QB in the off season. Singletary's stubbornness has caught up to him and he's sinking quickly!

GRUDEN FOR 2011!!!
  • fly15
  • Veteran

I am baffled by people's irrationality. Alex is not Great, maybe not even ok, but this whole team sucks right now. No unit or player has done anything.

cause Gore is not the QB

and what has he done?

well, he's our leading receiver.... I wonder why, ohh, maybe Alex 2 yard bombs to him
Originally posted by BigYellowKahuna:
I agree with Lombardi about Sing's lack of knowledge to be a head coach. I am suprised that we have not hired more football people for Sing to bounce ideas and get help from. We have set ourselves up to fail. But if for some miracle happens and the Niners run off three to four wins in a row all of this will be forgotten

Which would be the worst thing to happen. I mean Im all for winning, but Sing has got to go, or seriously change ....... I dunno something......I don't think he is up for it now or after some wins, but she ite what do I know? We could win out , and I would be fighting for room to hang from said coaches ball sack.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
All the blame always falls on the HC.
Originally posted by Shaj:
The reason I think Lombardi has a point is that for a few games last year, Raye went to a wide open attack suddenly. Does anyone remember that? It was a complete departure from his prior game planning ways. 33 year veteran coaches don't make these kind of sudden shifts based on a whim. Somebody told him to do that, and that could only have been Singletary. Therefore, Raye probably *was* doing what he was told, and probably was a scapegoat in that regards.

Sing said he wanted "physicality with an 'F'", and that he wanted us to be able to run undisguised runs, where "they know we are going to run and we know we're going to run, and there's nothing they can do about it." That is exactly what Raye has been doing.

I think Mike Johnson will do better, perhaps much better, but I think Raye was the scapegoat for Singletary's own ill defined offensive persona he wanted this team to have.

Of course he is the scapegoat. I've said that before on this board. Sing just wanted to buy himself a few more games. Run up the middle 3 times is Sing's offense.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
The reason I think Lombardi has a point is that for a few games last year, Raye went to a wide open attack suddenly. Does anyone remember that? It was a complete departure from his prior game planning ways. 33 year veteran coaches don't make these kind of sudden shifts based on a whim. Somebody told him to do that, and that could only have been Singletary. Therefore, Raye probably *was* doing what he was told, and probably was a scapegoat in that regards.

Sing said he wanted "physicality with an 'F'", and that he wanted us to be able to run undisguised runs, where "they know we are going to run and we know we're going to run, and there's nothing they can do about it." That is exactly what Raye has been doing.

I think Mike Johnson will do better, perhaps much better, but I think Raye was the scapegoat for Singletary's own ill defined offensive persona he wanted this team to have.

Of course he is the scapegoat. I've said that before on this board. Sing just wanted to buy himself a few more games. Run up the middle 3 times is Sing's offense.

Lombardi was saying a good coach understands the league as it currently is and coaches his team to be their best in the modern NFL---and if the coach thinks his offense or defense are not being run to fit the current state of the NFL---he makes the proper adjustments.

Then Lombardi implied that Singletary thought he could go against the grain and enforce his 1985 image on the 49ers and on the rest of the NFL and these 49ers would win the old way and teams would lay down and surrender, raise the white flag and beg for mercy.

Lombardi also implies that Singletary doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL coach because he really has no idea about the offense and how to scheme to exploit an oppenents weaknesses and play to your own teams strengths.

But do the Yorks know this???
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by kray28:

cause Gore is not the QB

Alex playing like a Pro-Bowler might not have been enough to win either blowout against Seattle or KC.

Consider, he played quite well against New Orleans, but they still lost. Why? Turnovers and defense...a defense that is tied for worst in the league for points allowed.

Frankly, every post I read by you just demonstrates to me (and everyone else) how little understanding you have for the game. QBs tend to get disproportionate credit when things go well, and disproportionate blame when things go badly. But that's only with the fickle media and the casual fans who have no depth in their knowledge of the game.

first of all, Alex will never play like a probowl qb. hey, the team needs another change, for example, TN (sorry memph!s) benched V.Young cause he sucked one game, and the next gane he started. why not bench Alex at some point and try the back-up. its early in the season and things are not over yet...

Because when the other team is calling out your plays before you run them, it's hard to be successful period.

thats the most absurd excuse I've heard on the WZ.
However, it will account for Alexcuse #421

Amazing. A completely irrational post.

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
"Staying up all night after the defeat in Kansas City -- as Singletary indicated he did -- to evaluate the 49ers offense, most specifically Raye, seems like he is making Raye the scapegoat. The time to evaluate Raye was during the mini camps, during the official team activities, and before any game. If Singletary didn't like the offense all he had to do was tell Raye to make the changes.

If Singletary did not like what Raye was doing he should have said something in March or April and made the changes accordingly. Waiting until the season starts clearly makes Raye the scapegoat, and now puts Singletary next in the line of fire."

The rest of the article is very good and worth reading.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81afbe76/article/a-lesson-for-singletary-motivation-begins-with-education?module=HP_cp2

I'm tired of reading this "Singletary made Raye the scapegoat" crap. Jimmy Raye deserved to be canned and everyone following this team knows why. It's the people who don't follow the team, the writers and analysts that try to cover every team in the league, that look at the situation and say sh*t like this. The only reason they've come to the conclusion that Raye had to take the fall to save Singletary's ass is because it happened during the season instead of mini camp or sometime in the offseason. Raye is and has been the main reason for our offensive ineptitude. We have weapons and talent. This offense shouldn't look so atrocious. They all mention that Raye was running the type of offense that Singletary wanted, but nobody mentions him being the least creative and most predictable play caller in the NFL. Singletary wants to be a running team, but that doesn't excuse Raye using the same packages and personnel to call the same plays over and over while they continuously fail. I'm pretty sure Singletary's offensive "vision" wasn't Dive Right-Dive Left-Shotgun Draw-Punt.

I'm not trying to defend Singletary because I know he's f*ckin up, but in the case of Raye being fired, it needed to be done.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
"Staying up all night after the defeat in Kansas City -- as Singletary indicated he did -- to evaluate the 49ers offense, most specifically Raye, seems like he is making Raye the scapegoat. The time to evaluate Raye was during the mini camps, during the official team activities, and before any game. If Singletary didn't like the offense all he had to do was tell Raye to make the changes.

If Singletary did not like what Raye was doing he should have said something in March or April and made the changes accordingly. Waiting until the season starts clearly makes Raye the scapegoat, and now puts Singletary next in the line of fire."

The rest of the article is very good and worth reading.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81afbe76/article/a-lesson-for-singletary-motivation-begins-with-education?module=HP_cp2

I'm tired of reading this "Singletary made Raye the scapegoat" crap. Jimmy Raye deserved to be canned and everyone following this team knows why. It's the people who don't follow the team, the writers and analysts that try to cover every team in the league, that look at the situation and say sh*t like this. The only reason they've come to the conclusion that Raye had to take the fall to save Singletary's ass is because it happened during the season instead of mini camp or sometime in the offseason. Raye is and has been the main reason for our offensive ineptitude. We have weapons and talent. This offense shouldn't look so atrocious. They all mention that Raye was running the type of offense that Singletary wanted, but nobody mentions him being the least creative and most predictable play caller in the NFL. Singletary wants to be a running team, but that doesn't excuse Raye using the same packages and personnel to call the same plays over and over while they continuously fail. I'm pretty sure Singletary's offensive "vision" wasn't Dive Right-Dive Left-Shotgun Draw-Punt.

I'm not trying to defend Singletary because I know he's f*ckin up, but in the case of Raye being fired, it needed to be done.

this
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by Yetiman:
I used to really like Lombardi, but lately I think he's overly critical of the 49ers...maybe because he used to work for them in the glory years and hasn't adjusted to the new reality.

He makes a useful point at the end of the article, though:

"The 49ers are 31st in points scored, which cost offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye his job, but they are also 28th in defensive points allowed. Their 0-3 start is not just one person's fault, but rather an entire team effort."

Everyone should be overly critical at this point. Angry fans and media critics are the only things that force the Yorks to make changes. They just never make the correct changes.
There is an entire generation of fans growing up watching nothing but futility on the field. At least I have the memories of watching them during the glory years. I don't know how you younger folks even hang around.

There are a lot of bad teams out there that never really ever had "glory years", and they still have lots of fans (e.g., Browns, Lions, Cardinals, etc. etc.). We should feel blessed as Niner fans to have at least glory years and five Super Bowl championships to look back on, where other franchises don't even come close.

I don't see the benefit of looking back on Super Bowl championships that they never actually got to witness. The best part of those glory days was watching the championship seasons unfold. We knew we had the best team, but we also knew the best team didn't always win the game. These youngsters that have only witnessed the York era probably don't think about our championship years the same way as those of us who got to see them while they happened. Sure, they'll use the "we have 5 Super Bowls" argument, but I don't know how much those 5 Super Bowls actually mean to them, other than them being ammo to argue with other fans.
  • bret
  • Veteran

Because Gore has rushed for 1000+ yards 4 years in a row despite defenses stacked 8 or even 9 in the box just to stop him, since there's no passing game or outside running to take the heat off.

What success has Alex Smith had? One quarter against Seattle 3 years ago? And games against Houston and new Orleans that we LOST?!
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bret:

Because Gore has rushed for 1000+ yards 4 years in a row despite defenses stacked 8 or even 9 in the box just to stop him, since there's no passing game or outside running to take the heat off.

What success has Alex Smith had? One quarter against Seattle 3 years ago? And games against Houston and new Orleans that we LOST?!

thank you
Share 49ersWebzone