There are 238 users in the forums

If we go 1-7 we should let Nate Davis finish the year as the Starting QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by seanh:
nate threw a 60 yard pass in the preseason. obviously that warrants a start in the regular season

A 60 yard off target pass at that.

To me it looked like it was on target. He led the reciever to an open spot, something we haven't seen from our starting QB.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by jreff22:
PS QB does not = Answer

We have a PS coach that alot of people thought was the answer. The PS coach is they guy that decided to cut this QB who was played as good or better than any QB that is on our roster. Sice Sing isn't a good coach and knows nothing about offense or the QB position, I don't take his decision seriously. Sing needed to put himself on the PS.

What about how the other 31 teams passed on him?

Honestly, if we cut Smith I think 31 teams would pass on him too. That doesn't mean one is better then the other. But if Smith continues to flop, why not see what else we have to work with?

If Trent Edwards got picked up, I'm sure Alex Smith will get picked up. This pretty much shows what you know...

I am sure he would get picked up. There are worse starting QBs in the league so he would have a shot at starting and for sure being a backup. If we don't sign him at the end of the year it will be weird seeing him in another uniform.

I am just about indifferent on Smith these days.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Smith in another uniform as long as there is a better player in a 49er uniform under center. I have seen little to no evidence that Nate Davis is better then Alex.

Some people want change when things aren’t going there way, I want change when there is a better option.
At 1-7 it wouldn't matter if Crabtree was our starting QB bc every game would be blacked out!!
Honestly if we are 1-7, i dont really care who u put behind center, because that would mean that you can stick a fork in our season.

And im disappointed in Davis from this summer, I actually like Davis. I wanted him to be behind Smith so that he could actually have a chance to see live action and get a better feel for the game.

But he couldnt even discipline himself enough to know he has a golden opportunity and put even more work in the offseason. Just like with Crabs and pre-season, u cant expect to be great, and turn things on, on gameday. And Davis having a learning disability, should of made him work even harder to get to where he needed to be. But if he cant do that then who cares about potential.
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
PS QB does not = Answer

We have a PS coach that alot of people thought was the answer. The PS coach is they guy that decided to cut this QB who was played as good or better than any QB that is on our roster. Sice Sing isn't a good coach and knows nothing about offense or the QB position, I don't take his decision seriously. Sing needed to put himself on the PS.

Honestly, if we cut Smith I think 31 teams would pass on him too. That doesn't mean one is better then the other. But if Smith continues to flop, why not see what else we have to work with?

Then honestly you don't know the NFL.

Show me another QB that has had 6 years with one team to show he is an NFL quality QB and fails that gets released and then gets picked up by another team and becomes there starter. The only thing close I can think of would be Carr but he is a backup and we were the only stupid team that wanted him.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
PS QB does not = Answer

If Trent Edwards got picked up, I'm sure Alex Smith will get picked up. This pretty much shows what you know...

Trent Edwards may just be better then Alex Smith in the end. Alex's chances to prove himself are about to end.
out of Carr, T.Smith and N.Davis, I'd much rather have Davis in there. Most of you are basing the idea that Davis is worthless on the fact that no one claimed him off waivers. I don't put any weight on that due to the fact that Singletary had just publicly trashed him to the media. Singletary trashing him has no impact on my beliefs of Davis either. He hasn't exactly been straight forward or a good judge of talent himself.
No I would like to see Troy Smith get a shot, and then draft a Luck of Lockear next season.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
out of Carr, T.Smith and N.Davis, I'd much rather have Davis in there. Most of you are basing the idea that Davis is worthless on the fact that no one claimed him off waivers. I don't put any weight on that due to the fact that Singletary had just publicly trashed him to the media. Singletary trashing him has no impact on my beliefs of Davis either. He hasn't exactly been straight forward or a good judge of talent himself.

This is similar to how I feel with Davis. He struggled, but did still not look as bad as Smith did against SEA and KC. His sample size is still wayyy too small to say he is "terrible". He still has not played with the #1's (he was throwing to Caulcrick against Minn).

Every team passed on Davis this year, but keep in mind, for a team to claim a player off of waivers, they must be placed on their 53-man roster. You let Davis play 3-4 games in the regular season, and I doubt he would clear waivers again.

Realistically though, the chance of seeing him play at all are very limited since they picked up Troy Smith. Sing seems to have something against Davis, unless he is just trying to light a fire under his ass. I can't quite figure that one out.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

This is similar to how I feel with Davis. He struggled, but did still not look as bad as Smith did against SEA and KC. His sample size is still wayyy too small to say he is "terrible". He still has not played with the #1's (he was throwing to Caulcrick against Minn).

Every team passed on Davis this year, but keep in mind, for a team to claim a player off of waivers, they must be placed on their 53-man roster. You let Davis play 3-4 games in the regular season, and I doubt he would clear waivers again.

Realistically though, the chance of seeing him play at all are very limited since they picked up Troy Smith. Sing seems to have something against Davis, unless he is just trying to light a fire under his ass. I can't quite figure that one out.

He could of lit a fire under his ass and kept him at the #3 position. He looked better than Carr did in the preseason.

Whether you think Davis is good or not, or even can be or not, you have to wonder at the way Sing went after him.

One theory is that while Smith would just check down and throw his patented 90mph 4-yard pass, Davis would run around and actually try to make a first down, thus spotlighting his talents instead of Sing's thundering ground game.

I want to hear what Raye has to say. Johnson can't say anything, but Raye can and he doesn't seem to be happy...
I want Davis as QB, but, no way you can have him leap frog over the #2 and #3. Looks like we can only hope for a high pick so we can draft another QB, hopefully we choose wisely this time.
Mike Johnson is a firm supporter of Nate Davis and may be key in getting him off the practice squad this year. Troy is clueless yet number 3 that's ridiculous. The only reason Nate is on the ps is because Sing didn't want to trash Raye when he was blundering the play calls even in the pre season, so he threw Nate under the bus. The guy said he was keeping him then fired em. Gotta get Nate out there, Alex checks down too fast and still isn't accurate. Gore killed it in the Saints game and Alex killed our chances with his terrible ball placement. Alex just doesn't have it and never did let's get Nate out there before the draft. Sing has to go too he's ruining this franchise.
The ignorance in this thread is absolutely astounding. Nate Davis sucks people, not that he doesn't have any talent at all, but he lacks the single most important thing to being successful, he doesn't care enough to work to get better. You can have all the talent in the world, but unless you apply yourself, you are wasting it.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The ignorance in this thread is absolutely astounding. Nate Davis sucks people, not that he doesn't have any talent at all, but he lacks the single most important thing to being successful, he doesn't care enough to work to get better. You can have all the talent in the world, but unless you apply yourself, you are wasting it.

so why do we keep Alex??
Share 49ersWebzone