LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

If we go 1-7 we should let Nate Davis finish the year as the Starting QB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by aman49:
Troy Smith

What intrigues you about Troy Smith?

not sure about aman, but what intrigues ME about Troy Smith is that he's a talented, hard working QB with a few years experience who hasn't really had an opportunity to be a full-time starter yet.

I don't know if he's our long-term answer, but, if this season implodes, I wouldn't mind seeing him in there to see if he could be a stop-gap.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by jreff22:
PS QB does not = Answer

We have a PS coach that alot of people thought was the answer. The PS coach is they guy that decided to cut this QB who was played as good or better than any QB that is on our roster. Sice Sing isn't a good coach and knows nothing about offense or the QB position, I don't take his decision seriously. Sing needed to put himself on the PS.

What about how the other 31 teams passed on him?

What about how we made Alex Smith the 1st player taken in the draft, and the raiders doing the same with JaMarcus Russell. What about Romo not getting drafted or the other 31 teams passing on tom Brady?

Smith and Russell have no logical connection to your comments about N. Davis discussion.

As for the Brady and Romo statement, what is your point? Some times you find a diamond in the rough, but 99 time out of 100 you just find rocks.

If you want the bet the house (rest of the season) on the chance that Davis is the next Brady, thats your opinion, but I'll pass.
Might as well throw him out there for 8 real games and see what we have. If he is as good as some people think he can be, we wouldn't have to spend a 1st round pick on a QB and can adress the CB position or get a legit pass rusher.

It would be better than throwing Carr or T. Smith in there.

Thoughts?

Are you kidding... By game 10 most of the board would be calling for his death...

Remember the ways of Cody Pickett; another fan favorite. Well, until he got game time that is...
PS QB does not = Answer

We have a PS coach that alot of people thought was the answer. The PS coach is they guy that decided to cut this QB who was played as good or better than any QB that is on our roster. Sice Sing isn't a good coach and knows nothing about offense or the QB position, I don't take his decision seriously. Sing needed to put himself on the PS.

This is the logic of a follower.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
PS QB does not = Answer

What about how we made Alex Smith the 1st player taken in the draft, and the raiders doing the same with JaMarcus Russell. What about Romo not getting drafted or the other 31 teams passing on tom Brady?

Smith and Russell have no logical connection to your comments about N. Davis discussion.

As for the Brady and Romo statement, what is your point? Some times you find a diamond in the rough, but 99 time out of 100 you just find rocks.

If you want the bet the house (rest of the season) on the chance that Davis is the next Brady, thats your opinion, but I'll pass.

That is real easy to figure out, all you have to do is read what I replied to.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Otter:
PS QB does not = Answer

Really, Davis has played better than any QB on the active roster? Are you still watching the 2009 pre season games where he played against 3rd stringers and scrubs, or are you referring to the 1 60 yard pass?

That said, I actually agree. If the season is lost, you might as well start him and see if there's anything there. If he sucks, then we know what we need to draft. If he succeeds, and I'm not sure how you measure success for him, then we can draft elsewhere.

Maybe not better, but about the same, but he moved the ball better.

Smith 31-37 56% 238 yards 6.4 ypa 11.3 ypc 1td 1int
Carr 21-34 61% 210 yards 6.1 ypa 10 ypc 1td
Davis 23-44 52% 301 yards 6.8 ypa 13 ypc 1td 2int

Davis gets the team down field, he played some with the 1st team without V. Davis, Gore and Crabtree. Carr also played without V.Davis, Gore and Crabtree. Smith played some with V. Davis and Gore. Davis has a better arm and throws the ball down field.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Might as well throw him out there for 8 real games and see what we have. If he is as good as some people think he can be, we wouldn't have to spend a 1st round pick on a QB and can adress the CB position or get a legit pass rusher.

Thoughts?

Are you kidding... By game 10 most of the board would be calling for his death...

Remember the ways of Cody Pickett; another fan favorite. Well, until he got game

time that is...

That is a shame you can even compare Pickett to Davis. Our coaching staff just doesn't know how to handle nate. If the season is lost which it might be after next Sunday, it might be be beneficial to let Nate play and see if he impresses enough to warrant us not to go looking elsewhere for a LT qb.

If he cannot play well then we will know what to address next year. The only way to tell is to turn him loose with live fire. I really think that would be more beneficial to the entire organization than wasting anymore time on Smith.
  • 9r4lf
I am down for anything different.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Thoughts?

Remember the ways of Cody Pickett; another fan favorite. Well, until he got game

time that is...

That is a shame you can even compare Pickett to Davis. Our coaching staff just doesn't know how to handle nate. If the season is lost which it might be after next Sunday, it might be be beneficial to let Nate play and see if he impresses enough to warrant us not to go looking elsewhere for a LT qb.

If he cannot play well then we will know what to address next year. The only way to tell is to turn him loose with live fire. I really think that would be more beneficial to the entire organization than wasting anymore time on Smith.

I agree with you on the Smith issue; but, if Nate can't even tell his left from his right; then there's a major problem when it comes to organized football.

As far as the Cody issue, he was just as hyped up on these boards as Nate is now. Just because the guy is a message bard GM favorite, dosen't mean he can play. Just watch his pre-season game films; he's lost out there.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
Sing's job is on the line. There is no way he will throw an unknown out there to see what happens. He needs to win games to keep his job.

if we are 1-7, that means he isn't winning games.

our schedule is harder on the front end if I remember right, isn't it? same thing happened last year.

After the Philly game, the only two really tough teams are the Packers and the Chargers. It is conceivable the 49ers could go 0-5 and finish 9-2.

We all knew that these first five games would be difficult, not only because of the schedule but also with two rookie OL and a new center. While the WAY they lost these games has been VERY disturbing, the fact they lost them should not have been a great surprise. Seattle and KC are two of the toughest road games for anyone, and NO is the World Champion. 0-3 was a fairly predictable start, all things considered.

Finish 9-2? This team? Are those happy pills you are taking legal?

Originally posted by BobS:
Sing's job is on the line. There is no way he will throw an unknown out there to see what happens. He needs to win games to keep his job.

our schedule is harder on the front end if I remember right, isn't it? same thing happened last year.

After the Philly game, the only two really tough teams are the Packers and the Chargers. It is conceivable the 49ers could go 0-5 and finish 9-2.

We all knew that these first five games would be difficult, not only because of the schedule but also with two rookie OL and a new center. While the WAY they lost these games has been VERY disturbing, the fact they lost them should not have been a great surprise. Seattle and KC are two of the toughest road games for anyone, and NO is the World Champion. 0-3 was a fairly predictable start, all things considered.

Hmm. Notwithstanding NinerTalk this team is better than 0-3. I think I want to see how the change affects the players. It could light a fire under them and spark a revival, it could be a damp squib, it could even (unlikely) cause resentment. Should be a lot clearer after this next game.
I wish. But he's on the PS. No chance. Another brilliant personnel move by this genius staff.
Doing as you suggest would be unfair to both Carr and Troy Smith. They are 2 & 3 on the depth chart for good reasons...and would deserve PT ahead of Nate. Davis will have to wait his turn...that's how it works in the NFL.
  • dj43
Originally posted by BobS:

My thoughts: We all knew, or should have known, that it was going to take a few games for the rookies to get settled. Now add in the difficulty of the first half schedule and a 9-7, 8-8 season is very realistic.

It all now depends on whether or not Johnson can put a system in place that takes advantage of the talent that is here. We all hope that the passing game gets better but I believe the greatest opportunity lies with getting Westbrook and Dixon on the field either with Gore or to give him more rest. I hope Crabtree also steps it up as well.

There is a lot more talent here than 0-3 although I am not surprised by the record. The record is the almost inevitable result of playing rookies and an offensive system that was antiquated.
  • dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by aman49:
Troy Smith

What intrigues you about Troy Smith?

not sure about aman, but what intrigues ME about Troy Smith is that he's a talented, hard working QB with a few years experience who hasn't really had an opportunity to be a full-time starter yet.

I don't know if he's our long-term answer, but, if this season implodes, I wouldn't mind seeing him in there to see if he could be a stop-gap.
I am far more interested in Troy Smith than Nate Davis. He was doing an OK job with the Ravens before he was injured and Flacco took over.
Share 49ersWebzone