There are 178 users in the forums

ESPN: Smith worst QB in NFC West and getting worse

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Consider this: The 49ers quarterbacks are made up of two overall Number Ones (Alex Smith and David Carr) and a Heisman Trophy winner (Troy Smith).

The question isn't IF Alex Smith should get benched. It's why HASN'T he been benched?

Can Carr and T. Smith play better? Gee, I dunno. Can they play any worse? It looks like the Max Hall Era has started in Arizona, so what is the hold-up with a team that hasn't even won a game?

I'm tired of hearing about all of Alex's mulitple offensive coordinators, lousy receivers, crappy offensive line, tipped balls, and the ingrown toenail that's been annoying him. Cry me a river. I don't want excuses. I just want some semblance of professional NFL quarterback play and a victory.

I don't think that's asking for much. Right about now I feel like a real sucker for picking up the NFL Sunday Ticket just so I can watch the 49ers find new ways to break my heart and make me curse loudly every week.

I don't care about hurting Alex Smith's feelings. Bench him. Start one of our other zombie quarterbacks. Who cares? It's not like it's gonna hurt anything.

Our next All-Pro, Super Bowl quarterback is NOT on the roster. He's still in college or maybe even high school.

I still don't believe those are "excuses" for Alex Smith more then it is an indictment of our organization as a whole.

yeah, but QBs who come out of the chute and play well in the NFL make all those "indictments" go away. That has been proven time and time again. What were the Falcons before Ryan? A lost bottom dweller, with an organization that was f'd up from top to bottom. Suddenly, they were contenders. That is the danger of an inept QB that lingers around. They can make the whole team - players and management - look inept too. In fact, they can make you believe they aren't the problem. Mark my word, if we get a real QB, we are instant NFC championship contenders, with no other changes.

I'm not a Alex Smith OR a Mike Singletary basher and while I'd love to wake up to find the Yorks had sold the team to Larry Ellison or Bill Parcells was taking over the football operations, I'm not expecting any of my dreams to come true.

"Real QB's" are hard to come by in the NFL. Throw 'em out there too soon like David Carr andt they've scarred for life. Sit 'em on too long on the bench and when they show they've learned nothing you end up having to dump them like Matt Leinart.

I wish I could agree all the 49ers need is a stud at QB. I'd like a speedy wide receiver to compliment Crabtree and Davis, a shutdown corner to replace Clements and a outside linebacker or lineman who can bring consistent pressure so Matt Ryan isn't sitting back reading the Wall Street Journal while he's waiting for Roddy White to break open.

The Niners are CLOSE, but I think we've seen the limits of what Mike Singletary's rah-rah, sis-boom-bah motivational style can do. There's no PLAN for success here. I don't know if this team wants to pound the rock, air it out or play 'em close and let the defense smash the other guys in the mouth.

The lack of talent in the front office is having a cascading affect on the field. It was smart to lock up Willis and Davis to long-term contracts, but this team is not as good as we or they thought they were. I'd rather have the 49ers personnel than the Panthers, Bills, Browns or Lions, but it's obvious to me this team is more than one player away.

A couple of players, maybe a coach or two, and definitely a GM and owner away.
Consider this: The 49ers quarterbacks are made up of two overall Number Ones (Alex Smith and David Carr) and a Heisman Trophy winner (Troy Smith).

The question isn't IF Alex Smith should get benched. It's why HASN'T he been benched?

Can Carr and T. Smith play better? Gee, I dunno. Can they play any worse? It looks like the Max Hall Era has started in Arizona, so what is the hold-up with a team that hasn't even won a game?

I'm tired of hearing about all of Alex's mulitple offensive coordinators, lousy receivers, crappy offensive line, tipped balls, and the ingrown toenail that's been annoying him. Cry me a river. I don't want excuses. I just want some semblance of professional NFL quarterback play and a victory.

I don't think that's asking for much. Right about now I feel like a real sucker for picking up the NFL Sunday Ticket just so I can watch the 49ers find new ways to break my heart and make me curse loudly every week.

I don't care about hurting Alex Smith's feelings. Bench him. Start one of our other zombie quarterbacks. Who cares? It's not like it's gonna hurt anything.

Our next All-Pro, Super Bowl quarterback is NOT on the roster. He's still in college or maybe even high school.

I still don't believe those are "excuses" for Alex Smith more then it is an indictment of our organization as a whole.

yeah, but QBs who come out of the chute and play well in the NFL make all those "indictments" go away. That has been proven time and time again. What were the Falcons before Ryan? A lost bottom dweller, with an organization that was f'd up from top to bottom. Suddenly, they were contenders. That is the danger of an inept QB that lingers around. They can make the whole team - players and management - look inept too. In fact, they can make you believe they aren't the problem. Mark my word, if we get a real QB, we are instant NFC championship contenders, with no other changes.

Ryan and Smiths situations in terms of development are vastly different. There is no comparison. We need a new QB and a new front office.
  • ZRF80

Ryan and Smiths situations in terms of development are vastly different. There is no comparison. We need a new QB and a new front office.

I wouldnt go as far as asking for a new front office. I think Jed York is a motivated owner. I think he tries to tailor the team in favor of fans' interest. Hey, we all fell in love with Sing. We thought the team had gone soft. Players werent being accountable. The team wasnt performing to expectations. I think Sing did a good job on those fronts. Players shaped up..........guys like VD became captains. Our overall image transformed from a soft, pushover team to one that fights and hits hard. And yes, I do feel that the team played to expectations..........REALISTIC expectations. To be honest, no one had us as Superbowl contenders (except NT). Everyone prewtty much thought we'd win the division on technicalities (bad teams in the West), and no one really crowned Smith as a top tier QB (except NT)

Sing did his job, now its time for a real coach to take over. We need to overhaul the coaching staff. Gruden is the best available option, and it seems more and more likely that either Vick or McNabb will be available by season's end. I say sign one of them, get a good draft pick at QB......and lets try to make a good playoff run next year. We can still make this similar to what GB had to deal with in the Favre-Rodgers transition timeframe.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Ryan and Smith are vastly different in terms of capability. Ryan is flat out a player, and Smith is a player with a great attitude, great work ethic, and great intangibles but can't play the game at this level.
Where are all the people saying Smith just needs protection, and blame the o-line.
HE WAS HIT 3 TIMES TODAY. 3 times and he could only get us 7 points, and threw 2 pics

Ryan and Smith are vastly different in terms of capability. Ryan is flat out a player, and Smith is a player with a great attitude, great work ethic, and great intangibles but can't play the game at this level.

Exactly but to pretend like Smiths "level" is poor because he's some no talent hack is delusional. He was a good prospect and really could have been something. Teams began to see the benefits of airing it out and switching to fast attacking spread offense type systems. The Niners chose to try plug a square peg in a round hole for the last 6 years.

I agree Matt Ryan is better but to imply Smith level of play has nothing or only very little to do with his "upbringing" in the NFL is just not honest.

Reverse his role with green bay or any other team that had their sht together and he's a diff QB. He may have never been a world beating perennial all pro but he'd be better than the JV sht he is now.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Where are all the people saying Smith just needs protection, and blame the o-line.
HE WAS HIT 3 TIMES TODAY. 3 times and he could only get us 7 points, and threw 2 pics

They have all woken up and smelled coffee on Smith. And it is about time they have my fren.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Exactly but to pretend like Smiths "level" is poor because he's some no talent hack is delusional. He was a good prospect and really could have been something. Teams began to see the benefits of airing it out and switching to fast attacking spread offense type systems. The Niners chose to try plug a square peg in a round hole for the last 6 years.

I agree Matt Ryan is better but to imply Smith level of play has nothing or only very little to do with his "upbringing" in the NFL is just not honest.

Reverse his role with green bay or any other team that had their sht together and he's a diff QB. He may have never been a world beating perennial all pro but he'd be better than the JV sht he is now.

Right now, Smith is being outplayed by rookie Sam Bradford who is on a far worse team than us. There is no excuse.

The sorts of INTs that Smith throws on what should be garden variety passes has nothing to do with coaches, OCs, his shoulder, the offensive system, the position of Venus relative to Pluto on game day, or any other Alexcuse® you can conjure up. John Clayton and Tom Razzanno said it best, telling you what you don't want to hear: Alex has a fundamental accuracy issue that he has not shook in 6 years of trying.
Originally posted by digital9er:

They have all woken up and smelled coffee on Smith. And it is about time they have my fren.

Worse, the Eagles are a big green screen machine. It could get ugly.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Watch the 9ers win and everyone back pedal on their support of Alex Smith.....not me, not buying that fools gold anymore.

You cannot say that Ryan is a better QB than Alex - at least not today. They both had 1 TD and both had 2 INTs. Their QB rating were essentially the same. I saw good passes from both and bad passes from both.

Why do we like to pressure the QB? Obviously to sack him, to make him force his throws, etc. When we succeed, the QB fails. So why do you guys conclude that Alex is a loser when the opponent succeeds in getting pressure on Alex and produces the predictable result? Typical blind hatred, spoiled bedwetters throwing infantile tantrums. Grow up and act like rational, intelligent fans. Understand and appreciate the complexity of the game. This team is still gowing up. I see promise. I am hoping that the team does not panic and continues to get better.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

Watch the 9ers win and everyone back pedal on their support of Alex Smith.....not me, not buying that fools gold anymore.

That should be his nickname. Alex "Fool's Gold" Smith. You think he's a QB till u take a closer look and realize he's a fraud.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by excelsior:
You cannot say that Ryan is a better QB than Alex - at least not today. They both had 1 TD and both had 2 INTs. Their QB rating were essentially the same. I saw good passes from both and bad passes from both.

Why do we like to pressure the QB? Obviously to sack him, to make him force his throws, etc. When we succeed, the QB fails. So why do you guys conclude that Alex is a loser when the opponent succeeds in getting pressure on Alex and produces the predictable result? Typical blind hatred, spoiled bedwetters throwing infantile tantrums. Grow up and act like rational, intelligent fans. Understand and appreciate the complexity of the game. This team is still gowing up. I see promise. I am hoping that the team does not panic and continues to get better.

Matt Ryan's leadership and fire alone makes him better than Smith. Lets not forget Ryan has won games when it mattered and is a proven winner in the NFL. What has Smith proved besides inconsistency???

1 Sack. 3 Hits. I think the O-Line played pretty well today. Alot better than Matt Ryan's

And the other Alexcuse. The receivers didnt get enough separation. Morgan seemed to get plenty but it didnt matter because Smith threw it 5 yards past him showing no touch, on a play that could have put the game away.

I don't see how people can keep drinking the Kool-aide after Smith takes a Sh!t in it every week

I guess that people are not supposed to look at their records huh? I suppose that looking at their career QB ratings and win-loss records is simply irrational? I suppose that defenses just preasure Alex, while other QB's are lucky because they can play a mistake free game and actually win; huh?

I really can't recall a QB in the history of the NFL who stats and win-lost record is as bad as Smith's but yet continues to get the start. Maybe Carr?
Share 49ersWebzone