There are 165 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. Kansas City Chiefs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
My thoughts on the problems on this team:

Number One issue is offensive coaching. They mentioned last week that Alex Smith had 180 plays on his wristband (or was it 185?). There is no way a team can get proficient on 180 plays. I think they need to have something closer to 60 plays, and become experts at running those. Unfortunately, this can't be solved until the training camp next year. KC also demonstrated how to effectively run against a team that is trying to stop the run. It wasn't running up the middle. I am not sure if Frank Gore could execute those runs, but Brian Westbrook certainly could.

Defensively, the 49ers are not playing well. I suspect that Haralson and Lewis are the main problems, but I am not sure their replacements are currently on the team. Reggie Smith can take Lewis place, but I don't know that we have a good replacement for Haralson. It also seems that the defense cannot adjust to what the offense is doing, which is a coaching issue.

Alex Smith is playing decent, but I suspect that he won't want to return to the 49ers next year. He is better off going to another team, and learning their offense than learning a new offense with the 49ers. He is playing well enough, that I suspect that he will make decent money in the free agent market.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by kray28:
Disagree with Bruce about Smith though.

Alex Smith is not the problem.

Yes; he is A problem; amongst a few others. He is not a playmaker and is too inaccurate to compensate for his inability to conistenly make plays. The problem is that this teamdid not have the courage to acquire better talent at the QB postion when it had a chance to or did not properly prepare the talent it has. Don't worry though; this team will not bench Alex. If he throws 2 TD's and 2 ints in the next game and they lose again, the coaching staff and some fans will maintain that "he is not the problem" and once again use another excuse. Sorry, I can't feel bad for this team whenit had the opportunity to improve; yet refuses to.

Which QB do we have on the roster that can any of these things you say that Alex can't?

Playcalling is the problem.

That's BS. Alex can call his ownplays.. Now what?

Bench Alex and ALL problems solved!

Coaching

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Brilliant!!

• Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
My thoughts on the problems on this team:

Number One issue is offensive coaching. They mentioned last week that Alex Smith had 180 plays on his wristband (or was it 185?). There is no way a team can get proficient on 180 plays. I think they need to have something closer to 60 plays, and become experts at running those. Unfortunately, this can't be solved until the training camp next year. KC also demonstrated how to effectively run against a team that is trying to stop the run. It wasn't running up the middle. I am not sure if Frank Gore could execute those runs, but Brian Westbrook certainly could.

Defensively, the 49ers are not playing well. I suspect that Haralson and Lewis are the main problems, but I am not sure their replacements are currently on the team. Reggie Smith can take Lewis place, but I don't know that we have a good replacement for Haralson. It also seems that the defense cannot adjust to what the offense is doing, which is a coaching issue.

Alex Smith is playing decent, but I suspect that he won't want to return to the 49ers next year. He is better off going to another team, and learning their offense than learning a new offense with the 49ers. He is playing well enough, that I suspect that he will make decent money in the free agent market.

I think it's possible most of the problems on d are stemming from the inept offense. Here's why:

Our defense is meant to be an attacking, aggressive, risk taking defense. When your offense is s**t, you gotta dial that back some, you gotta play more conservative. Playing conservative is not the way our d plays best, but we have no choice when our offense (and ST) essentially charges our d with single-handedly keeping the team in the game.
To add insult to injury, they put up a graphic that said "Shaun Hill 49ers QB" under Alex's mug when he began his post-game conference.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d81ad9856/49ers-postgame-press-conference

[ Edited by SanFranAddic on Sep 26, 2010 at 4:20 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Somebody needs to get fired ASAP.

raye
raye
raye
raye
I don't know what it is, but this loss has pissed me off more than any of our losses in a long time. Then I'm reading articles afterwards and I'm hearing the Chiefs Defense was calling our offensive plays and getting them correct. And Singletary says he's staying with Raye???

I've refrained from jumping on any bandwagon that's included getting anyone fired...but it's clear that Jimmy Raye's offense is bland and predictable, and he should no longer be calling plays. And if Singletary doesn't see it, and wants to stay with him, then so be it - he needs to go as well.

Our defense hasn't been great either, but clearly we do not have the people in place on offense.
On the other sideline, the unbeaten Kansas City Chiefs were a team that acted as if they'd been handed a cheat sheet before a final exam. One 49ers source said the Chiefs defense was calling out plays -- often correctly -- before the snap of the ball

from Maiocco
Originally posted by Super5:
Disagree with Bruce about Smith though.

Alex Smith is not the problem.

Yes; he is A problem; amongst a few others. He is not a playmaker and is too inaccurate to compensate for his inability to conistenly make plays. The problem is that this teamdid not have the courage to acquire better talent at the QB postion when it had a chance to or did not properly prepare the talent it has. Don't worry though; this team will not bench Alex. If he throws 2 TD's and 2 ints in the next game and they lose again, the coaching staff and some fans will maintain that "he is not the problem" and once again use another excuse. Sorry, I can't feel bad for this team whenit had the opportunity to improve; yet refuses to.

Which QB do we have on the roster that can any of these things you say that Alex can't?

Playcalling is the problem.

That's BS. Alex can call his ownplays.. Now what?

Bench Alex and ALL problems solved!

Coaching

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Brilliant!!

lol
in a way I feel sorry for Alex, he has been the victim of bad coaching from day one. Look at how many players leave us and go on to perform better under actual real NFL coaching staffs. Smith never really had a chance to suceed with this joke of an organization. (I am not saying he would have been much better, just that we will not know while he is here.)
Post game Analysis... Alex looked like Alex and Rookies looked like Rookies.
f**k. Do you all know what really happened?

We got beat by:

2 rookies,
1 first year player on KC
their head coach

Originally posted by Joecool:
f**k. Do you all know what really happened?

We got beat by:

2 rookies,
1 first year player on KC
their head coach

and charlie weiss and rome crennel they have more experience than you think.

Originally posted by Go49erss:
On the other sideline, the unbeaten Kansas City Chiefs were a team that acted as if they'd been handed a cheat sheet before a final exam. One 49ers source said the Chiefs defense was calling out plays -- often correctly -- before the snap of the ball

from Maiocco

All those years of cheating rubbed off on Weis and Crennel.
the only big problem that the chiefs got is matt cassel...and even he looked against us. now imagine if they would draft a qb with an nfl-arm. they got a great coaching staff already,except of haley.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Go49erss:

from Maiocco

All those years of cheating rubbed off on Weis and Crennel.

More than likely their understanding of Raye's O and Sing's unimaginative restrain of what our O is allowed to do let the Chiefs correctly call out what we were going to do.
Share 49ersWebzone