LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Top 3 underrated and overrated 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
I think the reason Willis keeps getting called overrated is that middle linebacker is nota sexy position. I actually think he could be much more of a sack master than we allow him to be. That's probably a huge area of potential.... an area where he is underrated.
Originally posted by Bayerrya:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fun topic...

Willis - this should get you fired up! LOL. But going by the definition of overrated he is considered as having a God-like status around the league and plays in a defense that is designed around him. That said, he's not a leader or a game changer. He's a tremendous tackler and will malke the occasional play but lets be real here - he's 100% freed to run to the ball carrier and play down hill. Aside from him not wanting the dot on his helmet he's also very soft in coverage and that had been a big problem for this team. In NT, he IS a God. He is not a game-changer but a very good LB that plays in a perfect system (sort of like Ben Rothlisberger who also was very overrated his first few years in the league). Will Willis become that Ray Lewis-type of leader? Probably not b/c that's not his temperment. Will he get better in coverage? Hopefully. I love Willis but he is overrated some.

]

You need some education, Willis plays in a 34 defense which has 3 lineman and 4 linebackers. The linebackers are expected to take on blockers in a 34 defense because there are only 3 down lineman. The lineman are expected to hold blockers from the second level as long as possible but if you ever actually watch the games, Willis is excellent at not over pursuing and getting caught up in the mess, and finding the ball carrier through a maze of o and d lineman. He DOES NOT run free. A 43 defense would be more suited to his speed, but with his intelligence, leverage and power, he excels at taking on blockers. Something that was thought of as his weakness coming out of college. If you can shut down a teams run game and make them one dimensional, how is he not a game changer? Not to mention the INT in seattle he took to the house. Soft in coverage? Im sorry but no middle LB is going to stay with Reggie on a jerk route one on one. MLBs arent supposed to be downfield like safeties, i thought we got rid of Mike Nolan?
Im sorry but someone needs to roast you, do you even remember how bad the 49ers run defense was before Willis showed up?

trying to make a splash huh....make me chuckle
Originally posted by Shaj:
I think the reason Willis keeps getting called overrated is that middle linebacker is nota sexy position. I actually think he could be much more of a sack master than we allow him to be. That's probably a huge area of potential.... an area where he is underrated.

He's probably the best player on this team. I'd put him above VD or Gore. If we rushed him he could get 10 + sacks. He gets them when we do. We just rarely do it. There is almost nothing he isn't good at. And he's as consistent as they come. I can't imagine calling him overrated...
I like this topic ..

Underated
Barry Sims - seems like everytime he's forced into action he balls out. Find a better backup tackle in the league.
Michael Crabtree - attitude aside I dont think people realize how good this guy can be. In an offense such as green bay or indy he might be unstoppable. 3 catches in two games and the national media "believes" the kid cant play or suddenly doesnt know the offense. I'm not buyin by the end of the year he will be a true #1 WR.
Shawntae Spencer - every corner in this league gets beat occasionally and thats what makes Spencer so solid he only gets beat occasionally ..he is quite a player on a measly contract .. Niners are lucky he isnt b***hin yet about getting paid.

Overrated
Goldson - has the tools but rarely uses them. Each week that goes by so far this season his next contract shrinks more and more. He needs to start making impact plays.
Michael Lewis - major coverage liability. I repeat major.
Moran Norris - he's probably only starting because of Frank. He's had the ball in his hands way too many times already this season. enough is enough. His job should be to block ... PERIOD ..

Honorable mention .. Adam Snyder .. he gets accolades for playing all the o-line positions but he normally sucks at them all .. lol
Originally posted by hubbyt:
I like this topic ..

Underated
Barry Sims - seems like everytime he's forced into action he balls out. Find a better backup tackle in the league.
Michael Crabtree - attitude aside I dont think people realize how good this guy can be. In an offense such as green bay or indy he might be unstoppable. 3 catches in two games and the national media "believes" the kid cant play or suddenly doesnt know the offense. I'm not buyin by the end of the year he will be a true #1 WR.
Shawntae Spencer - every corner in this league gets beat occasionally and thats what makes Spencer so solid he only gets beat occasionally ..he is quite a player on a measly contract .. Niners are lucky he isnt b***hin yet about getting paid.

Overrated
Goldson - has the tools but rarely uses them. Each week that goes by so far this season his next contract shrinks more and more. He needs to start making impact plays.
Moran Norris - he's probably only starting because of Frank. He's had the ball in his hands way too many times already this season. enough is enough. His job should be to block ... PERIOD ..

Honorable mention .. Adam Snyder .. he gets accolades for playing all the o-line positions but he normally sucks at them all .. lol

Snyder has always been a good Guard. He's just an unnatural Tackle. He only plays there because we have so many injuries.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Fun topic...

Willis - this should get you fired up! LOL. But going by the definition of overrated he is considered as having a God-like status around the league and plays in a defense that is designed around him. That said, he's not a leader or a game changer. He's a tremendous tackler and will malke the occasional play but lets be real here - he's 100% freed to run to the ball carrier and play down hill. Aside from him not wanting the dot on his helmet he's also very soft in coverage and that had been a big problem for this team. In NT, he IS a God. He is not a game-changer but a very good LB that plays in a perfect system (sort of like Ben Rothlisberger who also was very overrated his first few years in the league). Will Willis become that Ray Lewis-type of leader? Probably not b/c that's not his temperment. Will he get better in coverage? Hopefully. I love Willis but he is overrated some.

]

You need some education, Willis plays in a 34 defense which has 3 lineman and 4 linebackers. The linebackers are expected to take on blockers in a 34 defense because there are only 3 down lineman. The lineman are expected to hold blockers from the second level as long as possible but if you ever actually watch the games, Willis is excellent at not over pursuing and getting caught up in the mess, and finding the ball carrier through a maze of o and d lineman. He DOES NOT run free. A 43 defense would be more suited to his speed, but with his intelligence, leverage and power, he excels at taking on blockers. Something that was thought of as his weakness coming out of college. If you can shut down a teams run game and make them one dimensional, how is he not a game changer? Not to mention the INT in seattle he took to the house. Soft in coverage? Im sorry but no middle LB is going to stay with Reggie on a jerk route one on one. MLBs arent supposed to be downfield like safeties, i thought we got rid of Mike Nolan?
Im sorry but someone needs to roast you, do you even remember how bad the 49ers run defense was before Willis showed up?

trying to make a splash huh....make me chuckle

Originally posted by hubbyt:
I like this topic ..

Underated

Overrated

He sure didn't suck Monday night. He looked way better at guard as he always does and he looked way better than Chilo who I would put on as overrated.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Underrated:

CB Nate Clements
LB Ahmad Brooks
WR Josh Morgan

Overrated:

Parys Haralson
Moran Norris
Delanie Walker
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Fun topic...

]

HAHAHAHAHAHA

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. You telling NC he needs some "education" about the defense. You haven't been around here long, have you.

NC is, more often that not, right on the money when talking D. Just because he called Willis over-rated you're gonna "educate" him? Gimme a break. Now, I'm not saying I agree with NC's statement, but I know better than to attempt to "educate" him.

Bummer, I was waiting for a retort . And for the record, I just said he was "slightly overrated in NT." Then again, who isn't overrated in NT...we are a biased bunch (of fans)...as it should be!
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by krizay:
Underrated-
Morgan
Snyder (at guard)
Crabtree

Overrated-
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Joe Staley

That's just making you look bad at this point.

mmm hmm!

Underrated-
Morgan
Snyder (at guard)
Crabtree

Overrated-
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Joe Staley

mmm hmm!

You should get off of that train by now. He's the highest paid TE in the league, a Pro Bowler, the fastest TE in the league, among the best blocking Te's in the league and had almost 1,000 yards and 13 TD's (tied for an NFL record).

Hey look sometimes you are wrong in life...
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Underrated-
Morgan
Snyder (at guard)
Crabtree

Overrated-
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Joe Staley

mmm hmm!

You should get off of that train by now. He's the highest paid TE in the league, a Pro Bowler, the fastest TE in the league, among the best blocking Te's in the league and had almost 1,000 yards and 13 TD's (tied for an NFL record).

Hey look sometimes you are wrong in life...

you're right. But as far as this argument goes. This isn't one of them times.

But this isn' the time or place. I agree to disagree.

Let's move on.
Overratted

Chilo Rachal
M. Crabtree ( for Now)
Terrel Brown

Underrated
Josh Morgan
Ray McDonald
Delanie Walker
Shaq (for being able to hold onto a monster dump just to make it to halftime)

I have added a should be cut or at least benched group also
M Norris (cut)
Payrs Haralson (benched)
Chilo Rachal (benched)

[ Edited by leakyfausett on Sep 22, 2010 at 15:06:59 ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Overratted

Chilo Rachal
M. Crabtree ( for Now)
Terrel Brown

Underrated
Josh Morgan
Ray McDonald
Delanie Walker
[b]Shaq (for being able to hold onto a monster dump just to make it to halftime)[/b]
I have added a should be cut or at least benched group also
M Norris (cut)
Payrs Haralson (benched)
Chilo Rachal (benched)

Winner!!!
Underrated

McDonald
Lawson
Baas

Overrated

Staley
Goldson