LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Top 3 underrated and overrated 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Overated
1. Dashon Goldson. He's no better than a league average safety. A big upgrade over Mark Roman but definitely not anything irreplaceable. People are seriously overrating him for one great game against the Cardinals. He's been mediocre the rest of the time.

2. Delaine Walker This has been going on for the last 4 years now. Every year he's considered a "secret weapon" and a playmaker but for a guy with his reputation on the webzone, I'm a little underwhelmed by his 2 career touchdowns and his career 233 yards last year, even though we ran lots and lots of two TE sets last year not to mention his tendency to cough up the ball. Before last year there was even a thread where many webzone posters were calling for him to be the starter over Davis. It's irrational and I don't get it. Every team has a couple of these types of players on their team. He's completely replaceable.

3. Nate Davis- And people complain about how Alex supporters make "Alexcuses." Yet to most of those same posters, Nate Davis can do no wrong.

Underrated

1. Shawnte Spencer- he's a close to shut down corner yet he gets next to no recognition at all from the webzone and none at all nationally.

2. Ahmad Brooks- this guy is far and away our best passrusher. Not going to say he's not recognized on the zone, but he's almost the forgotten man in our defense.

3. Manny Lawson- No this guy is not a star, but he is an above average 3-4 linebacker and would be a valuable asset on pretty much any playoff caliber team. I feel like on the webzone people don't appreciate role players enough because they're not a star. Parys Haralson is waaaay more deserving of a demotion than Lawson is.

I would say Parys Haralson is way overrated by our coaching staff but definitely not here. The guy just seems to get a free ride no matter what even though he's only had one good half-season in his career. This guy is probably the biggest weak link on our team.

Thank you sir! I'm going with this.

Yeah this isn't bad to start, Lawson is underrated and Parys is overrated--even on the webzone where the backlash against him came later than I think it should have, although it seems to be here now. And i agree a hundred percent about Delanie, they throw to him way too much and while he is very fast, he's not that physical and fumbles way too much. But seriously, Shawntae Spencer a shutdown corner? He's ok, maybe our best CB, but that's not saying a whole lot.

My picks:

Overrated: Parys Haralson, Delanie Walker, Michael Crabtree (not that fast, not that strong, and doesn't work hard enough. Maybe Josh Morgan should be the no.1 receiver. seriously.)

Underrated: Brian Westbrook (where is he? doesn't anyone remember how good this guy's been for his career? maybe the best player on the roster over his career),
Reggie Smith (he's taken advantage of every opportunity he's been given, and he was excellent last night. I'm surprised they didn't have him return kicks instead of Phillip Adams, what a bonehead move that was. Its about time for him to start at safety, too)
and finally, Troy Smith.

That's right, Troy Smith. Why no bandwagon trhead for him? He was as good as our other two excellent college QBs were in college, except he was actually playing good competition. He won a heisman by the biggest margin ever. And oh yeah, unlike the other two he hasn't been given a chance to disappoint us, having only started twice (and played rather well) at baltimore.
If Alex gets hurt, he should start ahead of David Carr (assuming he learns the O)
Overrated.

1) Chilo Rachal - terrible pass blocker. Rated high because he went to USC. People still talk about his "potential." But he doesn't have any.
2) Josh Morgan - slowest starting WR in the NFL. Drops too many also. We need a #2.
3) Delanie Walker - people still rave about his "potential" and the matchup problems he creates. But all he does is fumble and drop passes and key times. The guy doesn't know what ball security means. He SHOULD NOT be a starter period.

Underrated.

1) Nate Clements - Yes Nate Clements. People hate on him because they think he was paid too much. Most of it was not guaranteed anyway and he won't make that much. But he's big and physical against big physical WR's. He has shut down Larry Fitzgerald several times. Something the haters always exclude from their arguments. Is he a speedster? No. Is he good against big physical WR's? Hell yes. Is he good around the line of scrimmage and one of the best tacking CB's in the league? Yes. Our defense is worse without him.

2) Justin Smith - What can you say about this guy. One of the best and most consistent guys on the team. A real force around the line of scrimmage. Because of what we ask him to do in the 3 - 4 he may never put up big #'s. But he is the real deal and a difference maker.

3) Ahmad Brooks - A very good pass rusher and always making plays. He was a good find IMO. He has natural instincts as a pass rusher. And we have needed one of those for a long time.

Obvious star players.

In no particular order.

1) Vernon Davis
2) Frank Gore
3) Patrick Willis.

We have many good rookies from this class IMO but it's too early to fairly evaluate them.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 21, 2010 at 22:10:34 ]
Originally posted by jays9ers:
WHy all the Lawson hate?? No he's not a dominate pass rusher, but his coverage skills are as solid as they come. He's just a solid LB.. Not spectacular but good.

I agree. And we are worse without his speed.
Originally posted by krizay:
Underrated-
Morgan
Snyder (at guard)
Crabtree

Overrated-
Vernon Davis
Goldson
Joe Staley

That's just making you look bad at this point.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Overrated- Haralson, Goldson, Clements

Underrated- Laboy, Spikes, McDonald

[ Edited by cools on Sep 21, 2010 at 22:42:47 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Overated
1. Dashon Goldson. He's no better than a league average safety. A big upgrade over Mark Roman but definitely not anything irreplaceable. People are seriously overrating him for one great game against the Cardinals. He's been mediocre the rest of the time.

2. Delaine Walker This has been going on for the last 4 years now. Every year he's considered a "secret weapon" and a playmaker but for a guy with his reputation on the webzone, I'm a little underwhelmed by his 2 career touchdowns and his career 233 yards last year, even though we ran lots and lots of two TE sets last year not to mention his tendency to cough up the ball. Before last year there was even a thread where many webzone posters were calling for him to be the starter over Davis. It's irrational and I don't get it. Every team has a couple of these types of players on their team. He's completely replaceable.

3. Nate Davis- And people complain about how Alex supporters make "Alexcuses." Yet to most of those same posters, Nate Davis can do no wrong.

Underrated

1. Shawnte Spencer- he's a close to shut down corner yet he gets next to no recognition at all from the webzone and none at all nationally.

2. Ahmad Brooks- this guy is far and away our best passrusher. Not going to say he's not recognized on the zone, but he's almost the forgotten man in our defense.

3. Manny Lawson- No this guy is not a star, but he is an above average 3-4 linebacker and would be a valuable asset on pretty much any playoff caliber team. I feel like on the webzone people don't appreciate role players enough because they're not a star. Parys Haralson is waaaay more deserving of a demotion than Lawson is.

I would say Parys Haralson is way overrated by our coaching staff but definitely not here. The guy just seems to get a free ride no matter what even though he's only had one good half-season in his career. This guy is probably the biggest weak link on our team.

As silly as these lists are...this one is not bad at all.
Overrated - Parys Haralson - does not make plays

Goldsten- Way too much hype given. Blows coverages and misses tackles

Byhnum- Has done very little if anything and some folks thinks that
he has the skills to replace Walker? That's a joke.

Underrated- Nate Davis- Raw, but does make plays and put the ball in
reciever's hands. Most gifted QB on the team.

Lawson- Consistently makes plays and demonstrates professionalism.

Hill - When given a chance to produce, he does.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Overrated :

Patrick Willis
Justin Smith
Frank Gore

Underrated :

Nate Clements
David Carr
Moran Norris

you forgot nate davis for underrated

Top 3 overrated:

Eric Heitmann
Nate Clements
Michael Lewis

Top 3 underrated:

Frank Gore
Shawntae Spencer
Justin Smith
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Overrated :

Patrick Willis
Justin Smith
Frank Gore

Underrated :

Nate Clements
David Carr
Moran Norris

you forgot nate davis for underrated

We could win like 1 maybe 2 SB's with Nate, but with Carr we could be a DYNASTY and fill a whole hand with rings.

This x's 10. Hell yeah!

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
My list below...not in any order. list yours.

Top 3 Overrated:
Dashon Goldson
Joe Staley
Moran Norris

Top 3 Underrated
Delanie Walker
Takeo Spikes
Dominique Zeigler
too soon to tell: Anthony Dixon (I have the feeling he's WAY better than anyone knows)

Staley is good. Walker is awful. All he does is fumble and drop the ball. I can't see what people see in him.

Wow.....I am shocked at your Staley statement SD.... Did you watch the Seattle game? Staley was an absolute sieve in that game....sucked like a newborn baby... He was better against the Saints but this guy is way too inconsistent to be considered a solid player. My hope is that once A Davis gets a bit more experience, he moves to the left side and Staley moves over to the right. In fact, Staley would be my number one most overrated Niner... For a number one draft pick, he has been disappointing...
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
OVER
Goldson - some think he is a poor man's Bob Sanders but he isn't even close
Baas - a journeyman who is lucky to have a chance to play regularly
Crabtree - compared to his hype he has fallen FAR short on performance.

UNDER
Spikes - Willis should take him out to dinner every week for the dirty work he does
Sopoaga - see Spikes.
Spencer - not sure how under-rated but he doesn't seem to get much love here.

You're right about Goldson and Sanders.

Goldson actually plays.
Originally posted by susweel:
Underrated

Michael Lewis
Jose Morgan
Issac Sopaga

Overrated

Manny Lawson
Alex Smith
Goldson

sux outplayed by reggie smith who needs to be on the field more
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Shaj:
My list below...not in any order. list yours.

Top 3 Overrated:
Dashon Goldson
Joe Staley
Moran Norris

Top 3 Underrated
Delanie Walker
Takeo Spikes
Dominique Zeigler
too soon to tell: Anthony Dixon (I have the feeling he's WAY better than anyone knows)

Staley is good. Walker is awful. All he does is fumble and drop the ball. I can't see what people see in him.

Wow.....I am shocked at your Staley statement SD.... Did you watch the Seattle game? Staley was an absolute sieve in that game....sucked like a newborn baby... He was better against the Saints but this guy is way too inconsistent to be considered a solid player. My hope is that once A Davis gets a bit more experience, he moves to the left side and Staley moves over to the right. In fact, Staley would be my number one most overrated Niner... For a number one draft pick, he has been disappointing...

I didn't say he was great. And he's on the left so he's going against the best every week.
under:
soap
ray mac
taylor mays (i know it's early, but he should get more playing time)

over:
clements
any of our oline guys (except the rookies)
the mascot (he sucks)

[ Edited by seeking6th on Sep 21, 2010 at 23:25:38 ]
Share 49ersWebzone