LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

49er Myths...fact or fiction

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Let me add/repeat a point I have made on several occasions ever since Mike Nolan arrived:

The quality of the coaching staff has a far greater impact on the quality of the players on the field than 90% of fans realize. This is especially true of position coaches. I could make this point very well with Alex Smith but will choose the OL this time, since line play is the heart of any team, good or bad.

When Nolan was first hired, late in the hiring cycle, all the good position coach candidates were already signed or under contract to other teams. Hence the 49ers got guys like Billy Davis, a DL coach whose name I have filed away under "unknown," and George Warhop, a guy who had a very checkered career as OL coach, to say the least. Despite drafting guys like Baas, Snyder and Staley, all highly regarded coming out of college, there seemed to be no development.

Fast forward - Warhop is gone, replaced by a highly regarded former Bobb McKittrick disciple who understands attention to detail, and aided by one of the best offensive guards of the past 20 years, Ray Brown. RESULT: a good performance by everyone, including the two new rookies against NO. All that stuff we know.

The thing that cements the importance of details was the emergence of the wristband, more specifically the recognition that plays have to be in on time. We say the results. A line that looked like Swiss cheese in Seattle makes a small adjustment in their splits and gets the play call in with enough time to make certain of their blocking assignments and the same guys that looked like junk in Seattle ALL turn in the game of their young careers in the VERY NEXT GAME.

Now I now that some will say they need more time to make a judgement and I know that young players are often inconsistent, but that does not take away from the quantum difference that attention to detail on the part of the staff makes.

By giving the OL the timing and small technical adjustment they needed, they turned in the best game we have seen in SF in a decade. 400+ plus yards against a SB champ is not an accident. The same guys that everyone had been bagging on for a LONG time, including Adam Snyder, turn in a great game.

And who else has a great game?

That's right. #11.

That is no coincidence my friends. Both the OL and the QB have had that in them all along. It is up to the coaches to allow them to play the way they can. When coaches get it right, the players can play...Alex Smith included.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
jta, i think your point is that it is fact that some people will believe anything...but i am not sure...your point was a bit esoteric for me, unless you were just being cynical. My points were:

1. that there is, for the first time, a very good OL in front of alex, and for the truly first time everyone can see what the kid has...or hasn't. Based on going up against a very experienced, fast and tough--- just out of SB win--- NO Saints, alex did a yeoman's job, and also for 1st time in 5 yrs we had something by which to gauge him, ie a functioning, or more correctly, a really terrific OL. I gave alex my first grade ever for him and it was a strong A. Question is was this an aberration, or is this the new us? Looking at our past BM track record, everything would point to aberration...BUT, we now have a very, very good OL, and that is a world of difference between now and last 8 yrs.(yeah, Frank put up big numbers,1700 of them, one yr behind LA and JJglass, but that was a flash in the pan). The OL now is real, Solari is for real , and there are no flies on bigRay either. I think MJs contribution...and job description... is a lot more than most folks realize.

2. that for the first time since BM took over 18 mos ago, he put forth a coherent, very workable game plan, stuck to it, fixed the abominably slow to- get- in- play- calling, tried "ramming in down their throats unsuccessfully for 2 series, and then changed his spots, like a chamelion, and actually called a very good game. Sure, JR called the game(or did he?), and MJ was relaying plays in (or was he, in fact, calling them?), but whoever did what, it ended up an excellent game, in which we
a) beat the saints, and then b) beat ourselves in the end.

The a) part is obviously encouraging,

the b) part is part and parcel of coaching. My take on the coaching is they improved 300% over last game, and most of last yr,
(my bet being MJ is more responsible for this than anyone, but of course, i don't KNOW that), but then:

turned right around and proved that they had not calculated in nor instructed our PR how to field punts, (or where, or when),

they forgot to stress tuck the ball away in the red zone, Delanie,

and in spite of fixing delays in getting game plans in, sent the O onto the field with only 10 guys, vernon coming in late, and yet another unforced error with a delay of game penalty.

There were others, such as Goldson faceguarding Colston (instead of looking for ball) for a 20 yd catch on the saints winning drive,

manusky reverting to PREVENT D for one play and watching Colston get 20yds, then immediately switching back to aggressive D,

and who could forget baas's hike into the end zone.

So overall, coaching fixed many , serious, egregious problems, but still are culpable when it comes to the "little things" on which this game was lost. Put another way, coaching fixed the big things, then let the little things beat us.

It was a bittersweet win for us overall, and then we lost it.

THOSE are FACTS.

My post wasn’t really directed at you or your original post. In fact I agree with most of what you said. I made my post because it looked like your thread was in danger of being high jacked by an Alex Smith hater. There are some people in the Zone that have these absurd extreme positions that somehow weasel their way into every post. It drives me crazy! It seems like 40% of all threads turn into Alex Smith debates. Or how about countless threads somehow turn into “we could have had Deshawn Jackson.”

Chalk my prior post and this one up as me venting.

You do realize that those of us who you view as "people who have these absurd extreme positions" view your position as absurd and extreme as well too right?? How can you come out and throw "Facts" around after only 1 successful game, especially after a horrible performance just the week prior?

I agree that Alex showed flashes of being a good QB on Monday night, but we have already seen that before. I think everyone in 9er country is aware of that. Where we begin to disagree is where we begin to discuss how good his teammates, coaching staff, play calling, etc. around him have to be in order for him to have a good game. It is impossible to have all-pros at every position around him year in and year out. I believe a QB needs to be able to make art out of dog s**t on a black canvas if that's all he's given to work with. Maybe not every game, but most of the time. The moons shouldn't all have to align perfectly in order for him to have a good game.

Its now year 6 and Smith still showed some of his basic old habits! If our Defense hadn't played tremendously well we wouldn't have even been in the game and it would have been another blowout.

As to anti or pro-Smith comments... These seem like some great points by non anti-Smith fans. Are they absurd?

Originally posted by kem99:
That's a lot of opinions but here's the thing...can you really draw any more "fact or fiction" conclusions from last night's game than you can from the first game? In either case, its just one game of data. To really evaluate your "49er myths", you need more game data before drawing conclusions.

I think you can say that for stretches of time, the 49ers are capable of being the superior team on the field. They did that for the first quarter and half against Seattle. They did that for different stretches of time against the Saints.

We can also say that the 49ers ability to control the game has been compromised by their tendency to fall victim to self-inflicted wounds. In Seattle, it was the failures in the red zone...missing Norris on the 4th and goal, getting the plays in late, taking the delay of game penalty on the second 4th and goal. Against the Saints, it was the botched shotgun snap that led to a safety, Walker's fumble in the redzone that cost them at least 3 points, Adams' muff of the punt, having to take a delay of game penalty coming out of a TV time out because Davis was late getting on the field.

We can also say that the 49ers are a different team on the road than they are at home. We saw that last year and certainly so far this year.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
This is the thing, Smith always looks good or decent at home, but when hes on the road, hes like a little lost kid out there. Remember the last time he played in KC we were shut out 41-0, KC is a tough place to play in.

And s much as I'd love to be on the bandwagon, every time I get excited about him he shows his inconsistencies. So I've made it a point to just stay off the BW and see how this season plays out.

I'm a fan, just not a blind one, and no I don't think everything is his fault.

Our defense played pretty well, but they couldn't do the job when it mattered. We did not lose that game because of Smith, he and Gore kept us in it. The first interception was his fault, but the second was a great play by a defensive player. You take away any one of those turnovers, or even the safety and we most likely win that game. The thing is we have a really young offense, the youngest in the league as a matter of fact, they are still learning how to win. There are great days coming, all the pieces are in place, they just have to gel.
Myths, fact or fiction, in no particular order:

1. Alex sucks...Fiction. Alex has had many detractors, and as much as I have heaped criticism on the 9ers, it has never been on alex... nor have i been positive on him. But I have maintained that until he has a decent OL we will never know how good...or bad, he really is. Well, we saw superb OL play tonite and alex had a superb nite. Oh, and guess what else? Alex has got good wheels. Proved it twice on last drive.

1a. Alex can't throw touch passes. Fiction. I have written dozens of times that if he can't throw touch passes, then that is a coaching error, and he should be kept out on the field until he can throw 20 touch passes in a row...perfectly...just like he did multiple times last nite.

1b. Alex can't throw accurately...Fiction. True, alex can't throw accurately if on his back or has 3 guys hanging on him...but give him a good OL, and who knows just how good this kid really is. Last nite he played flawless football, his one best pass, a long throw away to vernon in double coverage. Yeah, it wasn't a bad pass as it looked. He just threw that sucker into the turf 5 yds behind vernon...and two defenders who would have intercepted.

1c.Alex can't call his own plays... Fiction. Except for dead ball time stoppage, he did call his own plays, and guess what? The kid who finished college in 2 &1/2 yrs , then took basket weaving and dance his last semester so he could play football, is obviously very able to call his own plays. There is a light year's worth of difference calling plays when you just have time to get to LOS and hike the ball, vs getting to LOS with 20 seconds to spare, giving him time to check off and audible...and the kid proved he is very adept at checking off, if given time to do so with plays in on timely fashion. I believe he has been so micromanaged by BM and JR, that he has not been able to show us what he has. Well, we know now.

2. Our OL sucks...Fiction. I had campaigned on webzone for 3 yrs to draft an OL. Well, once baalke got control, we did draft for an OL...twice in first rd. Evidence of that was obvious last nite, when alex was never sacked, hurried twice in game tying TD drive, but never was touched. Our OL played superbly. My guesstimate that it would take 4 games for the OL to mature and block well was wrong. It took two games, and those suckers played great football.

3. BigmikeBM) and JR aren't smart enough or can't think fast enough on their feet to be HC and OC...Fiction. They sure did a superb job last nite(yeah there was a delay of game with only 10 men on field and vernon came in late), but there was no "mysterious helmet problems", as claimed last game. These guys, and Manusky called great games. Re: BM's/ JR's 18 mos of difficulty getting plays in on time, obviously they CAN do it. So what happened before? Either BM just didn't think it was important, and was stubborn, maybe even micromanaging an O he didn't really understand well, OR he just didn't get it...ie, how important it is for your QB to get to the OL with 20 seconds remaining on clock, so he can view field and make adjustments. Alex did great, and it makes BM and JR look smarter for trusting in him, not dumber.

4. BM can't be a good/great HC without first doing the usual proscribed requisites: namely coaching every position other than the one he knows perfectly, LBs, and no OC nor DC experience. Fiction...altho, i am amazed he has done so well in one game which proves he can be jump promoted to HC and perform at top level. I was wrong about this, but i bet anything, MJ had a lot to do with this, and secondly, i also bet it had to do with giving alex plenty of opportunities to call his own plays. The kid has it, and lots of "it". He just never got the OL nor coaching to prove it. If this continues, BM will be the ONE exception to getting to HC without the necessary coaching experience and creds.

5. JR sucks...not in this game he didn't. If he reverts to following BMs "we're gonna run it down their throats", then, yeah , he sucks. But if he follows the NO game with similar, equally well called games, then JR sucks is fiction. Time will tell on this one.

6. Neither our C nor one OG can block. Fiction....they sure can as evidenced by alex virtually not being touched all game. Both guys must have played superbly, because alex was protected all nite. They both can block. Was it lack of skill, or possibly lack of good coaching? I put my money on Solari and bigRay here. Congrats to both.

7. Our 1st two OL drafts are going to be stars...Fact...and they proved it tonite. Corollary: always build a team from the lines up. Worked for Vince Lombardi, and same for coach Walsh. We ignored it for 7 of last 8 yrs...to our peril, but we are on our way now.

8. Our receivers can't catch. Fiction. Beautiful catches(and passes) by vernon over the shoulder, Morgan toe tipping OOB, Crabs, etc. They played flawlessly. Note, the play for 1st down to #85 was thrown before vernon faked out and turned in. A thing of beauty.

9. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot. FACT. Actually without those several screwups, we may have won this game. Goes back to coaching. Make baas practice snapping 200 times in a row without snapping over alex's head...and remind him just before start of game and snap a dozen good snaps to alex before going onto field.

10.BM is the real deal and will finally take us back to the promised land, the SB and another trophy. UNDETERMINED....BM needs to take this game film and use it as a weekly reminder of what happens when he gives up control, forgoes the "ram it down their throats" routine, and does exactly what he did last nite. BM now has proven he CAN BE the man. Now consistent repition of what he did tonite has to be repeated each and every game for him to be THE ONE. Until last nite, I flat out didn't think he could or would do it. But he can. Now the question is WILL HE? Stay tuned.

11. BM's grand plan was to have JR for continuity, and bring in a talented, but relatively unknown talent as QB coach. FACT...altho obviously i will never know for sure. But there is no question, MJ is a great talent, and when he gets the OC job next yr, i would hope he retains QB job too. He obviously understands QBs, calls, and alex. He would be a tremendous OC. In the same vein, JR has played his role well too, in giving BM stability at OC, even if he had to be brot along in the new era of playcalling. The mark of a great HC is planning ahead, and based on this one instructional game, I would say BM has proved his worth. But, the fact remains, one great game does not a HC make. Now the onus is on him to reproduce, game after game the preparation, coaching, and decision making that he showed in this game. If he reverts, I will be after him again. Hopefully , he is a changed man and stays that way.

Apologies to all for length of this, but there were a lot of things that needed saying. As always, my hopes have been for BM to do well, as he has been one of my heroes for yrs...but i was quick to point out his shortcoming, so a mea culpa was in order. Now, if he could just get a handle on simple errors like 10 men on field, muffed punts, high over the head snaps...well, that would be Walshian...assuming this continues. Hey , i don't mind losing if our team plays great, and is coached great. I love to watch a well coached good team. Watching an unprepared, poorly coached, unskilled team...we all have had enough of that.

Well, with me the problem is not that the 49ers cannot do all that you mentioned above and any given time. The problem is that time team does not show up consistently or at the same time... What do I mean at the same time? If the offense shows up, a lot of times the defense disappears or it shuts down when it must make a play.... Monday Night was a prime example... When we needed to put our feet on Brees throat on that last drive, we couldn't......

A loss is a loss... Don't mind losing? That is a far cry from what a winning attitude is... You think guys like Walsh, McVay, Debartolo, Policy, Rice, Haley, Lott, Montana, Young, Turner, Holt, f*gan, Walters, Fanhorst, Hearst, McDonald, Clark, Solomon, Cross, Barton, Parris, Wallace, Millen, Norton, Fuller, Brooks, BY, Garcia, Plummer, E.Davis, Wright, Hicks, Williamson, Ring, Floyd, J.T. and even T.O. didn't mind losing?!?!?!?!?!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by jta854:
jta, i think your point is that it is fact that some people will believe anything...but i am not sure...your point was a bit esoteric for me, unless you were just being cynical. My points were:

1. that there is, for the first time, a very good OL in front of alex, and for the truly first time everyone can see what the kid has...or hasn't. Based on going up against a very experienced, fast and tough--- just out of SB win--- NO Saints, alex did a yeoman's job, and also for 1st time in 5 yrs we had something by which to gauge him, ie a functioning, or more correctly, a really terrific OL. I gave alex my first grade ever for him and it was a strong A. Question is was this an aberration, or is this the new us? Looking at our past BM track record, everything would point to aberration...BUT, we now have a very, very good OL, and that is a world of difference between now and last 8 yrs.(yeah, Frank put up big numbers,1700 of them, one yr behind LA and JJglass, but that was a flash in the pan). The OL now is real, Solari is for real , and there are no flies on bigRay either. I think MJs contribution...and job description... is a lot more than most folks realize.

2. that for the first time since BM took over 18 mos ago, he put forth a coherent, very workable game plan, stuck to it, fixed the abominably slow to- get- in- play- calling, tried "ramming in down their throats unsuccessfully for 2 series, and then changed his spots, like a chamelion, and actually called a very good game. Sure, JR called the game(or did he?), and MJ was relaying plays in (or was he, in fact, calling them?), but whoever did what, it ended up an excellent game, in which we
a) beat the saints, and then b) beat ourselves in the end.

The a) part is obviously encouraging,

the b) part is part and parcel of coaching. My take on the coaching is they improved 300% over last game, and most of last yr,
(my bet being MJ is more responsible for this than anyone, but of course, i don't KNOW that), but then:

turned right around and proved that they had not calculated in nor instructed our PR how to field punts, (or where, or when),

they forgot to stress tuck the ball away in the red zone, Delanie,

and in spite of fixing delays in getting game plans in, sent the O onto the field with only 10 guys, vernon coming in late, and yet another unforced error with a delay of game penalty.

There were others, such as Goldson faceguarding Colston (instead of looking for ball) for a 20 yd catch on the saints winning drive,

manusky reverting to PREVENT D for one play and watching Colston get 20yds, then immediately switching back to aggressive D,

and who could forget baas's hike into the end zone.

So overall, coaching fixed many , serious, egregious problems, but still are culpable when it comes to the "little things" on which this game was lost. Put another way, coaching fixed the big things, then let the little things beat us.

It was a bittersweet win for us overall, and then we lost it.

THOSE are FACTS.

My post wasn’t really directed at you or your original post. In fact I agree with most of what you said. I made my post because it looked like your thread was in danger of being high jacked by an Alex Smith hater. There are some people in the Zone that have these absurd extreme positions that somehow weasel their way into every post. It drives me crazy! It seems like 40% of all threads turn into Alex Smith debates. Or how about countless threads somehow turn into “we could have had Deshawn Jackson.”

Chalk my prior post and this one up as me venting.

You do realize that those of us who you view as "people who have these absurd extreme positions" view your position as absurd and extreme as well too right?? How can you come out and throw "Facts" around after only 1 successful game, especially after a horrible performance just the week prior?

I agree that Alex showed flashes of being a good QB on Monday night, but we have already seen that before. I think everyone in 9er country is aware of that. Where we begin to disagree is where we begin to discuss how good his teammates, coaching staff, play calling, etc. around him have to be in order for him to have a good game. It is impossible to have all-pros at every position around him year in and year out. I believe a QB needs to be able to make art out of dog s**t on a black canvas if that's all he's given to work with. Maybe not every game, but most of the time. The moons shouldn't all have to align perfectly in order for him to have a good game.

Its now year 6 and Smith still showed some of his basic old habits! If our Defense hadn't played tremendously well we wouldn't have even been in the game and it would have been another blowout.

As to anti or pro-Smith comments... These seem like some great points by non anti-Smith fans. Are they absurd?

Originally posted by kem99:
That's a lot of opinions but here's the thing...can you really draw any more "fact or fiction" conclusions from last night's game than you can from the first game? In either case, its just one game of data. To really evaluate your "49er myths", you need more game data before drawing conclusions.

I think you can say that for stretches of time, the 49ers are capable of being the superior team on the field. They did that for the first quarter and half against Seattle. They did that for different stretches of time against the Saints.

We can also say that the 49ers ability to control the game has been compromised by their tendency to fall victim to self-inflicted wounds. In Seattle, it was the failures in the red zone...missing Norris on the 4th and goal, getting the plays in late, taking the delay of game penalty on the second 4th and goal. Against the Saints, it was the botched shotgun snap that led to a safety, Walker's fumble in the redzone that cost them at least 3 points, Adams' muff of the punt, having to take a delay of game penalty coming out of a TV time out because Davis was late getting on the field.

We can also say that the 49ers are a different team on the road than they are at home. We saw that last year and certainly so far this year.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
This is the thing, Smith always looks good or decent at home, but when hes on the road, hes like a little lost kid out there. Remember the last time he played in KC we were shut out 41-0, KC is a tough place to play in.

And s much as I'd love to be on the bandwagon, every time I get excited about him he shows his inconsistencies. So I've made it a point to just stay off the BW and see how this season plays out.

I'm a fan, just not a blind one, and no I don't think everything is his fault.

Our defense played pretty well, but they couldn't do the job when it mattered. We did not lose that game because of Smith, he and Gore kept us in it. The first interception was his fault, but the second was a great play by a defensive player. You take away any one of those turnovers, or even the safety and we most likely win that game. The thing is we have a really young offense, the youngest in the league as a matter of fact, they are still learning how to win. There are great days coming, all the pieces are in place, they just have to gel.

I strongly disagree. Our defense stopped them several times, the most important one being the goal line stance. You take away any of those defensive stops and it wouldnt have even been a close game. I know it is only week 2, but our Defense is 7th against the run, 14th against the pass, and 4th overall. I agree that they must do their job and hold the other team from scoring, but how many times do you expect them to do it in a game if your offense keeps giving them the damn ball over and over. They were extremely fatigued by the end of the game and I don't blame them for not being able to hold Brees on the very last drive.

Keep in mind this was against Drew Brees and the Superbowl champion 4th ranked overall offense last year. You give them time and they will beat you.

1. Alex sucks...Fiction. Alex has had many detractors, and as much as I have heaped criticism on the 9ers, it has never been on alex... nor have i been positive on him. But I have maintained that until he has a decent OL we will never know how good...or bad, he really is. Well, we saw superb OL play tonite and alex had a superb nite. Oh, and guess what else? Alex has got good wheels. Proved it twice on last drive.

1a. Alex can't throw touch passes. Fiction. I have written dozens of times that if he can't throw touch passes, then that is a coaching error, and he should be kept out on the field until he can throw 20 touch passes in a row...perfectly...just like he did multiple times last nite.

1b. Alex can't throw accurately...Fiction. True, alex can't throw accurately if on his back or has 3 guys hanging on him...but give him a good OL, and who knows just how good this kid really is. Last nite he played flawless football, his one best pass, a long throw away to vernon in double coverage. Yeah, it wasn't a bad pass as it looked. He just threw that sucker into the turf 5 yds behind vernon...and two defenders who would have intercepted.

1c.Alex can't call his own plays... Fiction. Except for dead ball time stoppage, he did call his own plays, and guess what? The kid who finished college in 2 &1/2 yrs , then took basket weaving and dance his last semester so he could play football, is obviously very able to call his own plays. There is a light year's worth of difference calling plays when you just have time to get to LOS and hike the ball, vs getting to LOS with 20 seconds to spare, giving him time to check off and audible...and the kid proved he is very adept at checking off, if given time to do so with plays in on timely fashion. I believe he has been so micromanaged by BM and JR, that he has not been able to show us what he has. Well, we know now.

2. Our OL sucks...Fiction. I had campaigned on webzone for 3 yrs to draft an OL. Well, once baalke got control, we did draft for an OL...twice in first rd. Evidence of that was obvious last nite, when alex was never sacked, hurried twice in game tying TD drive, but never was touched. Our OL played superbly. My guesstimate that it would take 4 games for the OL to mature and block well was wrong. It took two games, and those suckers played great football.

3. BigmikeBM) and JR aren't smart enough or can't think fast enough on their feet to be HC and OC...Fiction. They sure did a superb job last nite(yeah there was a delay of game with only 10 men on field and vernon came in late), but there was no "mysterious helmet problems", as claimed last game. These guys, and Manusky called great games. Re: BM's/ JR's 18 mos of difficulty getting plays in on time, obviously they CAN do it. So what happened before? Either BM just didn't think it was important, and was stubborn, maybe even micromanaging an O he didn't really understand well, OR he just didn't get it...ie, how important it is for your QB to get to the OL with 20 seconds remaining on clock, so he can view field and make adjustments. Alex did great, and it makes BM and JR look smarter for trusting in him, not dumber.

4. BM can't be a good/great HC without first doing the usual proscribed requisites: namely coaching every position other than the one he knows perfectly, LBs, and no OC nor DC experience. Fiction...altho, i am amazed he has done so well in one game which proves he can be jump promoted to HC and perform at top level. I was wrong about this, but i bet anything, MJ had a lot to do with this, and secondly, i also bet it had to do with giving alex plenty of opportunities to call his own plays. The kid has it, and lots of "it". He just never got the OL nor coaching to prove it. If this continues, BM will be the ONE exception to getting to HC without the necessary coaching experience and creds.

5. JR sucks...not in this game he didn't. If he reverts to following BMs "we're gonna run it down their throats", then, yeah , he sucks. But if he follows the NO game with similar, equally well called games, then JR sucks is fiction. Time will tell on this one.

6. Neither our C nor one OG can block. Fiction....they sure can as evidenced by alex virtually not being touched all game. Both guys must have played superbly, because alex was protected all nite. They both can block. Was it lack of skill, or possibly lack of good coaching? I put my money on Solari and bigRay here. Congrats to both.

7. Our 1st two OL drafts are going to be stars...Fact...and they proved it tonite. Corollary: always build a team from the lines up. Worked for Vince Lombardi, and same for coach Walsh. We ignored it for 7 of last 8 yrs...to our peril, but we are on our way now.

8. Our receivers can't catch. Fiction. Beautiful catches(and passes) by vernon over the shoulder, Morgan toe tipping OOB, Crabs, etc. They played flawlessly. Note, the play for 1st down to #85 was thrown before vernon faked out and turned in. A thing of beauty.

9. We keep shooting ourselves in the foot. FACT. Actually without those several screwups, we may have won this game. Goes back to coaching. Make baas practice snapping 200 times in a row without snapping over alex's head...and remind him just before start of game and snap a dozen good snaps to alex before going onto field.

10.BM is the real deal and will finally take us back to the promised land, the SB and another trophy. UNDETERMINED....BM needs to take this game film and use it as a weekly reminder of what happens when he gives up control, forgoes the "ram it down their throats" routine, and does exactly what he did last nite. BM now has proven he CAN BE the man. Now consistent repition of what he did tonite has to be repeated each and every game for him to be THE ONE. Until last nite, I flat out didn't think he could or would do it. But he can. Now the question is WILL HE? Stay tuned.

11. BM's grand plan was to have JR for continuity, and bring in a talented, but relatively unknown talent as QB coach. FACT...altho obviously i will never know for sure. But there is no question, MJ is a great talent, and when he gets the OC job next yr, i would hope he retains QB job too. He obviously understands QBs, calls, and alex. He would be a tremendous OC. In the same vein, JR has played his role well too, in giving BM stability at OC, even if he had to be brot along in the new era of playcalling. The mark of a great HC is planning ahead, and based on this one instructional game, I would say BM has proved his worth. But, the fact remains, one great game does not a HC make. Now the onus is on him to reproduce, game after game the preparation, coaching, and decision making that he showed in this game. If he reverts, I will be after him again. Hopefully , he is a changed man and stays that way.

Apologies to all for length of this, but there were a lot of things that needed saying. As always, my hopes have been for BM to do well, as he has been one of my heroes for yrs...but i was quick to point out his shortcoming, so a mea culpa was in order. Now, if he could just get a handle on simple errors like 10 men on field, muffed punts, high over the head snaps...well, that would be Walshian...assuming this continues. Hey , i don't mind losing if our team plays great, and is coached great. I love to watch a well coached good team. Watching an unprepared, poorly coached, unskilled team...we all have had enough of that.

That's a hell of a rant for one game.

Let's see Alex do it again against KC next week -- K?

NOT FOUR WEEKS FROM NOW!

Next Sunday...

Thank you...

1. Alex sucks...Fiction.
1a. Alex can't throw touch passes. Fiction.
1b. Alex can't throw accurately...

1c.Alex can't call his own plays... Fiction.

Are you sure those are fiction?!! You can't judge him just based one damn game where he was "above avg" vs Saints..It's the same ole Alex, rolling to the right, missing wr's, looking clueless...I can't take it anymore. We can't keep blaming the WR's, OC's, and everyone but Alex. CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE
[ Edited by EndAround81 on Sep 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone