LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

I want to know why we did not go Onside Kick...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
An Onside Kick is high-risk, high-reward. Sure, we could've taken the ball at their 40 yard line. But there's a HIGH chance they take the ball at our 40 yard line.

Up until that point, we had effectively stuffed New Orleans on offense. There was only about a minute left and the defense is supposed to be the strength of our team.

Why risk giving them the ball at our 40 when we could just kick it and more likely stop them? Yeah, the OK looks attractive in hindsight, but it would've been an incredibly risky move to do it considering the circumstances.

Not only that, our offense was really feeling it and clicking. I think we could've beaten them in OT.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
After we got it tied up, why did we not go Onside Kick?

If there EVER is a time to do so, that would be the time. And Nedney can sell the OK damn well so WTF?

I don't think Sing should lose his job over it but C'MON there was NO REASON to give them the ball back if we can give ourselves more of a chance.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by thojess:
I can't believe I'm reading this from a vet.

Are you serious? LMAO

Someone having a lot of posts doesn't make them any smarter.
dats kwazy.

I'm not sure of the odds, but it can't be high enough to possibly give the Saints the ball on our own 40-45. I think it would have been questioned even more than the Belichick call to go for it at Indy last year . . . assuming it failed.

It would take jumbo coconut balls to make that call.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Are you serious? LMAO

Sure it does.

Check mes out. I is intellibrilliant!
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Are you serious? LMAO

Sure it does.

Check mes out. I is intellibrilliant!

I stand corrected.

LOL
C'mon guys, so what if it would have given them short field position if we failed. We had MOMENTUM on our side at that time. You take your chances in that situation.

Yeah I know the percentages are low but our guys were fired up at that point. And if they did get short yardage they would have less time to take off the clock by kicking the FG if our Defense can't hold them anyway. The result being the same as it is now.

Nothing to lose by going Onsides there and a HELLUVALOT to gain.

And no, I would not be calling for Sing's head if we failed on it because of the reasons I've provided.

It's ballsy and what really was the thing to do.

~Ceadder
C'mon guys, so what if it would have given them short field position if we failed. We had MOMENTUM on our side at that time. You take your chances in that situation.

Yeah I know the percentages are low but our guys were fired up at that point. And if they did get short yardage they would have less time to take off the clock by kicking the FG if our Defense can't hold them anyway. The result being the same as it is now.

And no, I would not be calling for Sing's head if we failed on it because of the reasons I've provided.

~Ceadder

Are you being serious? Are you a football guru? I didn't know that you automatically recover onside kicks because you're the more "fired up" team. Now that i do know that, i'll be sure and wait outside the 49ers training facility all week so i can let the coaches and players know that. Geez man what would the 49ers ever do without your knowledge.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by richierich:
because it was a tied game
Originally posted by valrod33:
because that would have been f**kin stupid

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

~Ceadder

Are you being serious? Are you a football guru? I didn't know that you automatically recover onside kicks because you're the more "fired up" team. Now that i do know that, i'll be sure and wait outside the 49ers training facility all week so i can let the coaches and players know that. Geez man what would the 49ers ever do without your knowledge.

It's NEVER automatic. But thanks for behaving like an ass, so I can dimiss your lack of knowledge.

To the rest of you saying "Because it was a tied game"...

Apparently you don't give Brees enough credit. But the man could have marched it right to the End Zone and thrown a TD if they decided they wanted to.

Take the ball away from their Offense and they can't do shat.

Yeah let's play for the Tie. F@k that, I play for the Win. If I fail in that regard then I can live with that.

~Ceadder
You saw that Michigan State game didn't you? Too huge of a risk, our D was playing real well all night.

~Ceadder

It's NEVER automatic. But thanks for behaving like an ass, so I can dimiss your lack of knowledge.

Apparently you don't give Brees enough credit. But the man could have marched it right to the End Zone and thrown a TD if they decided they wanted to.

Yeah let's play for the Tie. F@k that, I play for the Win. If I fail in that regard then I can live with that.

~Ceadder

You play to win the game!

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

You're thinking about it knowing the outcome. At the time, the defense had been stopping Brees and playing good football. Every coach in the league would have done exactly what Singletary did - give the Saints a longer field and make them gain 50 yards to put themselves in field goal range instead of 15 yards. It's easy to sit there and think about what would have happened had it worked, but if it had an even somewhat decent success rate, why would we ever bother kicking it off to begin with? It would be onside kicks all game.

Bottom line, they made the right choice. Put the game in the hands of the defense - they were the reason you're even in the game to begin with. Sure it would have been better if we onside kicked and recovered. It would also be better if we went for it on 4th down in the red zone to get a TD instead of a field goal every time, and it worked. BUT, that didn't work out so well for us last week.
I s**t on this thread and I believe ceadder here is under the age of 17.
Share 49ersWebzone