There are 242 users in the forums

Agony of being a young 49er fan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
hang in there guys. we will be great again. unfortunately not under mike "the mouf" singletary or alex smith.
Young enough to remember the last Super Bowl of the 49er's and all of Joe Starkey's commentary pretty vividly.

I don't complain.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Same here, I am 19 and missed it all as well.

lol better get them blue shorts ready!

blue shorts are already loaded in the car.

Originally posted by eric90clark:
So it dawned on me today.. the last time the 49ers went to the playoffs I was 12 years old. I mean sure the 49ers 8 year playoff drought applies to everybody and not just me, obviously. But i never had the honor of seeing (and understanding) the glory days, so the winning, feel good story of the 49ers all seems so foreign to me. Im just being honest. Im referring to Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Deon Saunders, those days. I just didnt experience it. The closest thing to those days that i have fresh in my mind are those Garcia, Owens, and Hearst. But i know for a fact that that pales in comparison.

Im so anxious for a winning season, as well as the playoffs. I guess i'll just have to do what i always do. which is wait lol

true words brother I was 10 years old turning 11
18 here. From Connecticut... my Dad's from Los Gatos so that's how I'm a 9er fan. The first 9er memory I really have was watching them comeback against the Giants in the playoffs. That was a GREAT day at school the next day! But most of my memories come from 2004 on... I always remember coming into high school and saying to everyone "They really didn't play that bad" or "the defense held it's own but the offense sucked". haha.... HERE'S HOPING FOR BETTER DAYS AHEAD
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I truly feel sorry for some of the younger fans who never got to see how great this team once was.

I remember a time when as a fan we expected to win every game. Opponents would dread seeing the 49ers on their schedules.
Just remember we have a rich history. You may not see it or feel it at the moment but we will get back to the top. I'm sorry but I can't tell you when or how or with who. but it's all up to our current ownership.

30 year old Niner fan who became faithful in 1987 when Minnesota beat us in the divisional round of the playoffs. We were the best team in Football that year and Bill Walsh caught a lot heat from Eddie D. Yes even the great Bill Walsh was on thin ice by Eddie after that. That's what made us so good we had such high standards that even Bill Walsh could fired for mediocrity.

It was always Super Bowl or nothing in those days. God how far we have fallen.
i think even the people that were around in the montana years are fed up with the niners not winning. I mean we can live in the past just for so long
I became a 9ers fan from the Garcia, Owens, Hearts era.
Originally posted by susweel:
I truly feel sorry for some of the younger fans who never got to see how great this team once was.

I remember a time when as a fan we expected to win every game. Opponents would dread seeing the 49ers on their schedules.

THIS!

Those were the days. Sus is right on. Teams dreaded playing the 49ers -- especially the Rams. Joe Montana -- and later Steve Young -- OWNED the Reams. We gave them fits for more than a decade.

I feel for the young fans. When I was your age -- the team was equally as terrible. Try back-to-back 2-14 seasons on for size. We were lost -- or so it seemed.

But then I got to witness the birth of one of the greatest teams to ever grace an NFL stage. I witnessed every playoff win. I savored every Super Bowl. I was 18 and in my first year of college at Fresno State when Montana hit Clark with that pass that changed everything and set the pro football world on its ear.

I hope it all happens again for the young fans -- and us old farts who remember and wish for better days...

I am lucky enough to have seen the niners win all 5 of their championships, this era is discouraging, but this team is on the way up, they just have to learn to win again, and be consistent doing it. Hell I remember when Joe Montana was some untested kid who threw 19 TD's and 12 interceptions and no one knew he would be anything special. The thing is, football is cyclical, you cannot win every year, and sometimes you have to go through rebuilding years. Sometimes you have to put up with the wrong people being in charge and extending the rebuild for years longer than it should take. I am sure there are older guys here that remember when the niners were really bad back in the 70's, but that was before my time. I started watching the niners in earnest in 1980, and for 17 years, not counting the strike year, we had a winning record. That is something really unheard of in the history of the NFL. All I have to say to you young guys is have patience, we are headed in the right direction. The hard times just make the good times that much sweeter...Keep the Faith!

Agony? Young fans, please do not allow yourselves be influenced by a few haters . In the bad old days, our franchise was a reckless spending machines that played a finesse girlie style of football. We were well hated around the league.

Today, our franchise is posting monthly profit due to conservative management. WE no long play like wussies, we smash mouth the opponents. Our coaches no longer talked like professors, Nolan and Singletary shouted and scolded reporters at will. Folks all over the world tuned into youtube just to watch our coaches breath fire. How cool is that?

Just think, would you like to be identified as designer jeans wearing, merlot sipping pussies or goodwill store attired, pabst drinking men? Today, we are well loved around the league. Teams just love to play us.
Originally posted by jed_york:

Agony? Young fans, please do not allow yourselves be influenced by a few haters . In the bad old days, our franchise was a reckless spending machines that played a finesse girlie style of football. We were well hated around the league.

Today, our franchise is posting monthly profit due to conservative management. WE no long play like wussies, we smash mouth the opponents. Our coaches no longer talked like professors, Nolan and Singletary shouted and scolded reporters at will. Folks all over the world tuned into youtube just to watch our coaches breath fire. How cool is that?

Just think, would you like to be identified as designer jeans wearing, merlot sipping pussies or goodwill store attired, pabst drinking men? Today, we are well loved around the league. Teams just love to play us.

This is not funny man, NHAP was funny, but this is just lame.
Originally posted by eric90clark:
So it dawned on me today.. the last time the 49ers went to the playoffs I was 12 years old. I mean sure the 49ers 8 year playoff drought applies to everybody and not just me, obviously. But i never had the honor of seeing (and understanding) the glory days, so the winning, feel good story of the 49ers all seems so foreign to me. Im just being honest. Im referring to Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Deon Saunders, those days. I just didnt experience it. The closest thing to those days that i have fresh in my mind are those Garcia, Owens, and Hearst. But i know for a fact that that pales in comparison.

Im so anxious for a winning season, as well as the playoffs. I guess i'll just have to do what i always do. which is wait lol

Well ... When I was young I remember John Brodie, Vic & Gene Washington, Spurrier, Ted Kwalick, Willard, Nunley and Schreiber etc. etc. and to me they were all Champs then, even when the lost Dallas in the '72 NFC Championship I shed a tear that Sunday afternoon ... Good, bad, or ugly - Win or lose, a true '9er supports and roots for 'em and regardless ... I'm quite tired of hearing about "WHAT IF 0-2?" ... WTF is that all about? One game, one playoff, one divisional/conference championship and ONE Superbowl at a time! Go NINERS!
Share 49ersWebzone