LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

Clements Demoted?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't think there is any question Spencer is our #1 CB. Dude was close to a shutdown corner last year. Clements will be #2 and I doubt Brown can take that role form him in 2010.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Clememts has always been better pressing around the line of scrimmage. We just haven't used him that way. But we should. It's when he's the most effective. And he's still our best CB BTW abeit overpaid.

Well said. He's an incredible open field tackler, his performance against the Vikes last year was phenomenal.

Unfortunately, his performance against the Vikes also highlighted one of his primary liabilities: he's fearless about rolling the bones on a pick off. Ultimately, that comes down to a judgement call. I personally don't mind an aggressive CB and I'm willing to accept the substantial risks that come with an aggressive CB, reasonable men can disagree on that, though. Fortunately our safties should be better this year, so his penchant for risk taking shouldn't hurt us as dearly. *Knocks on wood.*
I think Nates gonna have a good year
Originally posted by Trajik1:

Well its gotta be better than his 09 season. Still out best all around corner but Spencer is the better cover corner right now.
Originally posted by jones49:

Well its gotta be better than his 09 season. Still out best all around corner but Spencer is the better cover corner right now.

Clements is the perfect 3-4 CB, and although he's slowed down, his run coverage/mid-field coverage skills are spot-on. Only problem is we match him up against the wrong people (he should be taking Slots/flankers), while Spencer should be taking on the track stars.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Clements is the perfect 3-4 CB, and although he's slowed down, his run coverage/mid-field coverage skills are spot-on. Only problem is we match him up against the wrong people (he should be taking Slots/flankers), while Spencer should be taking on the track stars.

this

clements is a great press corner and is a great tackler IMO he is the best corner on our team the only thing he is unable to do is cover the fast people
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
It's because Shawntae Spencer is one of the most underrated shutdown corners in the NFL.

*See Andre Johnson's stats last year when he faced Spencer.

SS and shutdown corner DO NOT belong in the same sentence. Spencer is above average but far FAR FAR FAR from a shutdown corner. Wow.

**Edit....for the record Spencer wasn't on AJ the whole game...Clements worked him as well, and IIRC Nate actually was lined up with him more often.**

[ Edited by KRS-1 on Sep 10, 2010 at 20:20:44 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
I don't think there is any question Spencer is our #1 CB. Dude was close to a shutdown corner last year. Clements will be #2 and I doubt Brown can take that role form him in 2010.

Again...good last year yes. Close to a shutdown corner ? No.
Spencer >>>>> Clements

I don't care how much Nate is making.

Spencer is by the most consistent of the two. Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.
i loved walt harris

Originally posted by leolion:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Wasn't Clements one of the best CB's in the league before he came here?

No, he was a good CB. He had made the pro bowl one time. His huge contract fooled a lot of us into thinking he was better than he was.

agree
Calling Spencer a shut down corner is a BIG

Its more like Spencer getting promoted....which is good for us. Spencer is grossly underrated on this board (^). He is a shutdown corner. Maybe not like Reevis or Asamoungha, but he can shut it down and gets the job done.

[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 11, 2010 at 16:20:52 ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Its more like Spencer getting promoted....which is good for us. Spencer is grossly underrated on this board (^). He is a shutdown corner. Maybe not like Reevis or Asamoungha, but he can shut it down and gets the job done.

It is ridiculous to call Spencer a shutdown corner. He's the best we have, he has improved since his knee injury but needs to continue to work on his ablility to locate the ball at the right time. Still has a tendency to have head turned downfield. He has good positon but will get beat or a flag every time doing that. He just needs to turn his head toward the ball a second or so earlier and he'll never get a flag. This notion of 'shutdown CB' is so overblown...only in the minds of some.
Originally posted by imoDvoris:
Calling Spencer a shut down corner is a BIG

No one called him a shutdown corner buddy.
Share 49ersWebzone