There are 174 users in the forums

I think we cut the wrong QB !

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
The quarterback, 49ers second-year pro Nate Davis, has dyslexia and often works for close to 45 minutes at night with housemate and Niners wide receiver Dominique Zeigler to master the system. Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions.

He has a tough time "getting the play out" and actually executing a given call.

"I know what I'm doing out there. It's just saying the play, that's my main problem, getting the words out," Davis said. "I made big progress from last year. I've just got to keep on working."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-06-08/49ers-qb-davis-working-hard-learn-playbook#ixzz0ysVxTnYT

If you can't say the play in the huddle how can you be an NFL QB?

I feel for the guy, if he gets things like left & right reversed on playchart. It seems to me that you would need to be motivitated to spend a lot more than 45 minutes a day to work out these issues if you want a NFL QB job. We know from comments by Singletary, the Niners were expecting him to work harder than he has.

That was my second thought. What is "close to 45 minutes a day". Is that a little bit more than 30 minutes?

The other thing is, you can't feel bad for the guy. He does have all the skills in the world, but it is his learning challenges and work ethic that are holding him back, and that is what people aren't understanding when they stand up for his football skill set, or "potential".
Originally posted by 4949:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

LOL... looks like someone else doesn't know what a franchise QB is. Terrell Owens made Jeff Garcia what he was, and that was a slightly above average player at his position. You don't think that, with the weapons we currently have on offense, Smith could lead this team to the playoffs?

If Terrell Owens made Jeff Garcia why is it that TO put up his best numbers with Garcia as his QB and not McNabb or Romo?

One reason is after Jerry Rice left, TO became the guy the 49ers designed plays around. They didn't have any other threats. On the other teams, he was the new hired gun, but there were other established good players on those teams.
Originally posted by 4949:

LOL... looks like someone else doesn't know what a franchise QB is. Terrell Owens made Jeff Garcia what he was, and that was a slightly above average player at his position. You don't think that, with the weapons we currently have on offense, Smith could lead this team to the playoffs?

If Terrell Owens made Jeff Garcia why is it that TO put up his best numbers with Garcia as his QB and not McNabb or Romo?

Best numbers? His highest average per reception was 16.7 with Dallas in 2007. His highest yards per game was 109 with the Eagles in 2005. Terrell Owens was pretty consistent no matter who his QB was:

http://www.nfl.com/players/terrellowens/careerstats?id=OWE755129
If Nate Davis has the "potential" that some of you think he does, Indianapolis and New England will fight over signing him. If, on the other hand, 31 other GMs do not sign him, then I would have to wonder why we would.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Wow... this is really getting ridiculous. Check it out:

Alex Smith = Franchise Quarterback

Get used to it.

I'm sure we'll draft another "QB project" in next years draft for everyone to obsess and/or snivel about. "He's the best 3rd stringer EVER!" or "No way, he's the worst 3rd stringer EVER!".

The season definitely needs to start already.

are you sure of that? Alex Smith = Current Unquestioned Starter. "Franchise QB" to me implies that we're putting our full confidence and the weight of this team on his back for now and the forseeable future, as a result of his past performances.

By the end of this season, yes. I'd bet $$$ on it (if I had any, that is). I think we'll see a new multi-year contract and he'll be the QB for the foreseeable future. BUT this also means we'd have made the playoffs. Could you live with Smith at QB for the next few years if he leads us to the playoffs this year?

I think Trent Dilfer could get us to the first round playoffs this year. We have a loaded offense, a top 5 defense, and we have the 28th easiest schedule in the 32 team NFL. Getting to the playoffs should be like falling off a log in this division. It's winning in the playoffs that will be hard.

So to answer your question, all Smith has to do is WIN one (1) playoff game this year, and I'll be very happy. I don't think that's asking very much.

Who cares if Smith gets us to the first round of the playoffs or wins a game? If Smith looks good every week, and looks dangerous out there for the defense then he will be a Franchise QB and should be re-signed even if we lose in the first round, or don't make the playoffs for some other reason. It is entirely conceivable that the 49ers could win a playoff game even if Smith is below average.. if that is the case, then I wouldn't want to resign him. Let's not oversimplify the issue, and reduce everything to wins and losses.
not trying to offend anybody but I wonder sometimes how did some of you got all your bars filled in a 49ers forum. hmm
Originally posted by JCStormbringer:
not trying to offend anybody but I wonder sometimes how did some of you got all your bars filled in a 49ers forum. hmm

by posting a lot
Originally posted by valrod33:

by posting a lot

by posting a lot

David Carr is awful. We shouldve snatched up Rosenfels but oh well ..... we also passed on Jimmy Clausen a few times in the draft so the 49ers must truly believe in Alex Smith to not only play well but stay healthy because our backup QB situation is pretty bad. Time will tell but I'm hoping none of our backups see the field this season. We have no QB to push Alex Smith either ....

Originally posted by hubbyt:
David Carr is awful. We shouldve snatched up Rosenfels but oh well ..... we also passed on Jimmy Clausen a few times in the draft so the 49ers must truly believe in Alex Smith to not only play well but stay healthy because our backup QB situation is pretty bad. Time will tell but I'm hoping none of our backups see the field this season. We have no QB to push Alex Smith either ....

We needed our oline to get better so we did that with our two 1st round picks and Clausen was drafted at pick 48, right before we drafted Taylor Mays
Originally posted by hubbyt:

We needed our oline to get better so we did that with our two 1st round picks and Clausen was drafted at pick 48, right before we drafted Taylor Mays

I would be surprised if we didn't draft a quarterback in the middle rounds of next years draft. I think we need a corner (or two) in the early rounds.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cNiner:
It shows how Sing is not there at all, if you have no faith in your Back up qb aka Carr why keep him ? we should have cut him and moved on with troy Smith insted of getting rid of Nat lots of potanital Davis ! Sing got to question this decision

you have to be joking, you think we should have cut Carr and instead of Davis? Then we would be one play away from having no qb's on our team knowing the offence! Good thinking
[ Edited by KID9R on Sep 7, 2010 at 3:16 PM ]
It seems like the choice was physically talented QB with a chip on his shoulder who seems to want to become a starter and understand the work it takes to win in the NFL vs. physcially talented QB who didn't put in the time. I don't know. Something tells me we will have the answer to this question in the very short term. If Nate is on the practice squad by weeks end then there is the consensus. If someone snatches him up the Nate Davis fans will have to wait with baited breath for him to get his shot with said team and prove Sing wrong.
What would be really funny is if nobody signs him and neither do we. Great Big arm does not = NFL QB. Which is all Davis has really shown. The list of guys with tremendous arms who never made it in the pros is a mile long. There is a shorter list of guys with good arms and good instincts/ command of their offense who get to start in the NFL. There is a really short list of guys who are/were truly great QBs and the corresponding number of "great" arms on that list is relatively low. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by 4DNinersSon:
Originally posted by cNiner:
It shows how Sing is not there at all, if you have no faith in your Back up qb aka Carr why keep him ? we should have cut him and moved on with troy Smith insted of getting rid of Nat lots of potanital Davis ! Sing got to question this decision

Come on. Noone is saying Carr is great, but to think that we could cut Carr & go with Davis or Smith as our number 2 is irresponsible.

Troy Smith will be our #2 as soon as he gets the system down, anyway. He's already familiar with the digit system, so I don't think it will take that long. David Carr is worthless.

It may b tru that Carr is worthless, but he doesn't have to spend 2 years in our system to get down. Unlike Davis who has been here for 2 and still can't get it right . Move on from Davis and let the hometown boy from indy go back there. They loved davis too, didn't want a project though. But right now in thier case is Davis is probably better than Painter @ this point.
Share 49ersWebzone