There are 201 users in the forums

I think we cut the wrong QB !

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by danimal:

Understood and agreed. BUT, if one believes that he should have another shot at another offseason, then he should have been kept as our #3.

For the following reasons.
1. He has a small salary
2. If cut, we could lose him forever
3. The difference between T.Smith and Nate at #3 is not going to affect the 2010 season in any real way

I really don't care what Sing thinks, this should have been Trent's call. If Trent believes Nate was going to f**k up next off season, then by all means...cut him now.

If Nate turns out for somebody else, this is all on Baalke imo

Come on now... How many QB's did we start in 2008? How about 2007? 2005? The third string guy might just play this season...
When you only spend 45 minutes a day learning the playbook during the off season you are too lazy to get out of your own way. "My wife quizzes me on the plays during commericals". That is just plain "asking to be cut". Sing didn't cut Davis, he cut himself. He should play for the Raiders, oh yeah they also cut their lazy a$$ too.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:
Originally posted by altadenaniner:
Can someone tell me what "potanital" means?

I could be wrong; but, I think it's slang for "Pot and Tail" He just mispelled it, should be "Potantail"

The two best things I love. let the season begin!
Carr is a decent backup Nate Davis is not the answer,Sing made a good choice
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
Wow... this is really getting ridiculous. Check it out:

Alex Smith = Franchise Quarterback

Get used to it.

I'm sure we'll draft another "QB project" in next years draft for everyone to obsess and/or snivel about. "He's the best 3rd stringer EVER!" or "No way, he's the worst 3rd stringer EVER!".

The season definitely needs to start already.

are you sure of that? Alex Smith = Current Unquestioned Starter. "Franchise QB" to me implies that we're putting our full confidence and the weight of this team on his back for now and the forseeable future, as a result of his past performances.

By the end of this season, yes. I'd bet $$$ on it (if I had any, that is). I think we'll see a new multi-year contract and he'll be the QB for the foreseeable future. BUT this also means we'd have made the playoffs. Could you live with Smith at QB for the next few years if he leads us to the playoffs this year?

I think Trent Dilfer could get us to the first round playoffs this year. We have a loaded offense, a top 5 defense, and we have the 28th easiest schedule in the 32 team NFL. Getting to the playoffs should be like falling off a log in this division. It's winning in the playoffs that will be hard.

So to answer your question, all Smith has to do is WIN one (1) playoff game this year, and I'll be very happy. I don't think that's asking very much.

Hey, I'm right there with you and no, it's not too much to ask. I fully expect him to do so this year (barring serious injury) and for the next few after that.

I have to disagree with you about the Dilfer comment, though.

Filth
Quote:

LOL... looks like someone else doesn't know what a franchise QB is. Terrell Owens made Jeff Garcia what he was, and that was a slightly above average player at his position.
I agree, I actually think of Young as our last real QB. I just put Garcia cause I did not want to argue Garcia.

lamont
Quote:

But realistically how many "future franchise" qb's are 3rd string in there 2nd year?
agreed

wwrivers
Quote:

There is potential to go far into the playoffs with this team (there is also potential to go 8-8 and miss the playoffs)
agreed, and glad you are not just being an optimist for the sake of being an optimist, but this 2010 team really does carry more hope than the years past.

Memphis
Quote:

Do you think any other team is going to snag him up, or do we get him back on the PS?
I think we are going to lose him to another team. But yeah, the chances are not great that he develops for anybody...I just didn't see the reason to take that chance...however small it might be.

DNiner
Quote:

Come on now... How many QB's did we start in 2008? How about 2007? 2005? The third string guy might just play this season...
That is exactly my point. I am not saying he won't play. I am saying, if he does play....its going to be another bad season anyway...I meant the result of the season won't change with Troy over Nate. The only good result will be if Alex steps up his game and plays most of the season.

NinerGM
Quote:

Yes Danimal because 2010 is the end of the world and there are no more drafts after this year.
At some point in time we will acquire another Great Franchise QB. At no point did I state that losing one candidate will permanently affect our chances of gaining another. When this happens is directly related to the wisdom and decisions of our current and future GM's. How long this takes will also directly affect how much longer you and I have to keep watching poor to mediocre play on Sundays.

2010 is not the end of the world. And neither is 2012

phew
[ Edited by danimal on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:27 PM ]
Alex Smith will lead us to the playoffs!

/end thread
I'd rather cut Carr also, but whats done is done... Season will plummet when Smith gets hurt again which he's do for looking at his history.. Hopefully Troy catches on quick.
Wow... this is really getting ridiculous. Check it out:

Alex Smith = Franchise Quarterback

Get used to it.

I'm sure we'll draft another "QB project" in next years draft for everyone to obsess and/or snivel about. "He's the best 3rd stringer EVER!" or "No way, he's the worst 3rd stringer EVER!".

The season definitely needs to start already.

are you sure of that? Alex Smith = Current Unquestioned Starter. "Franchise QB" to me implies that we're putting our full confidence and the weight of this team on his back for now and the forseeable future, as a result of his past performances.

By the end of this season, yes. I'd bet $$$ on it (if I had any, that is). I think we'll see a new multi-year contract and he'll be the QB for the foreseeable future. BUT this also means we'd have made the playoffs. Could you live with Smith at QB for the next few years if he leads us to the playoffs this year?

I think Trent Dilfer could get us to the first round playoffs this year. We have a loaded offense, a top 5 defense, and we have the 28th easiest schedule in the 32 team NFL. Getting to the playoffs should be like falling off a log in this division. It's winning in the playoffs that will be hard.

So to answer your question, all Smith has to do is WIN one (1) playoff game this year, and I'll be very happy. I don't think that's asking very much.

Hey, I'm right there with you and no, it's not too much to ask. I fully expect him to do so this year (barring serious injury) and for the next few after that.

I have to disagree with you about the Dilfer comment, though.

Yeah, I also have to disagree about Dilfer. He was aweful in his last year with the 49ers. Someone like that would prevent them from getting to the playoffs. This team is not good enough to where they are going to win without the QB making plays, and not f*cking up.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Sep 7, 2010 at 1:38 PM ]
The quarterback, 49ers second-year pro Nate Davis, has dyslexia and often works for close to 45 minutes at night with housemate and Niners wide receiver Dominique Zeigler to master the system. Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions.

He has a tough time "getting the play out" and actually executing a given call.

"I know what I'm doing out there. It's just saying the play, that's my main problem, getting the words out," Davis said. "I made big progress from last year. I've just got to keep on working."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-06-08/49ers-qb-davis-working-hard-learn-playbook#ixzz0ysVxTnYT

If you can't say the play in the huddle how can you be an NFL QB?

Originally posted by danimal:
I agree. Just does not make sense to me either. Nate was lazy in the offseason. OK, well, he still has upside. And this team really does not NEED a great #2 now anyway.

I never understand why teams who are not competing for a Super Bowl put too much thought on their backup QB.

You either have a Franchise QB or you don't.

If you do have one, then get a good backup, no project

If you don't have one, your backup really does not matter nearly as much as your development of your next Franchise candidate does.

Does Sing really not understand the current state of this franchise?
Does Sing really only care about 2010 because he feels the difference between 8-8 and 9-7 could be his job?
If that were true, why is Baalke not protecting the interests of the Franchise?

We don't have a Franchise QB currently people!

If Alex, becomes that this season...GREAT...then I will absolutely care about our #2 being starter ready now.

If he doesn't........then we will be once again without a prospect...I am not so sure Nate Davis was not still our next shot at a Franchise guy

The coaching staff already came to the conclusion that Nate Davis was not ready. However, we do have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs. If Alex Smith were to go down at some point this season, you would like to keep a QB in there that can at least handle the offense. If you have any shot at the playoffs, then your no. 2 QB matters.

See the 1998 Minnesota Vikings, 1987 Washington Redskins, 1998 Buffalo Bills, 1998 Miami Dolphins, 1980 Oakland Raiders, and countless other examples. Although some of those teams did actually make it to the Super Bowl, they weren't considered Super Bowl favorites/contenders at the start of the season. If Alex Smith gets hurt I am not willing to tank the season on a QB that isn't ready simply to see if he MIGHT be the franchise QB.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
The quarterback, 49ers second-year pro Nate Davis, has dyslexia and often works for close to 45 minutes at night with housemate and Niners wide receiver Dominique Zeigler to master the system. Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions.

He has a tough time "getting the play out" and actually executing a given call.

"I know what I'm doing out there. It's just saying the play, that's my main problem, getting the words out," Davis said. "I made big progress from last year. I've just got to keep on working."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-06-08/49ers-qb-davis-working-hard-learn-playbook#ixzz0ysVxTnYT

If you can't say the play in the huddle how can you be an NFL QB?

I feel for the guy, if he gets things like left & right reversed on playchart. It seems to me that you would need to be motivitated to spend a lot more than 45 minutes a day to work out these issues if you want a NFL QB job. We know from comments by Singletary, the Niners were expecting him to work harder than he has.
  • Veteran

LOL... looks like someone else doesn't know what a franchise QB is. Terrell Owens made Jeff Garcia what he was, and that was a slightly above average player at his position. You don't think that, with the weapons we currently have on offense, Smith could lead this team to the playoffs?

If Terrell Owens made Jeff Garcia why is it that TO put up his best numbers with Garcia as his QB and not McNabb or Romo?
why hasnt any other team seen "potential" in Davis?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
why hasnt any other team seen "potential" in Davis?

he just hit the waivers at 1PM today. Hold off on your commentary until 1PM tomorrow....
Share 49ersWebzone