LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Mike Singletary wants winners: Can 49ers validate his wishes?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jrg
  • Veteran
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — He's undoubtedly the most physically fit head coach in the NFL, a lean 220, six pounds lighter than he weighed a generation ago as the game's premier crash-and-carry middle linebacker. This is no accident.
Mike Singletary, a 51-year-old with bulging biceps, is putting in the work.

On typical mornings, the San Francisco 49ers coach will follow his prayer and meditation session with an intense, 45-minute workout. He works out alone, with equipment right there in his second-floor office overlooking the practice fields. A treadmill. An elliptical machine. A bench for sit-ups and glute work.

This is essential, part of his personal playbook.

"One of the greatest things about coaching is that you've got to be able to put your hands on guys," Singletary said with his deep, baritone voice one morning early in training camp. "Coaching can take a lot out of you, and you've got to be able to beat that."

Sure enough, later that day the Hall of Famer who once laid the wood as the heart of the Chicago Bears' dominant "46" defense, was on the practice field laying hands on rookie safety Taylor Mays. It was classic show-and-tell, as Singletary smoothly demonstrated a coverage technique, rotating his hips out of a backpedal to shield the receiver.

Chalk one up for fitness. Players surely notice.

"He likes to blend in with us, it seems," said tight end Vernon Davis. "Sometimes, I don't think of coach Singletary as a coach. I think of him like a teammate, because of his presence, his demeanor and the way he looks."

In Singletary's words, he's also like a daddy.

On Wednesday, Singletary, the son of a preacher who was nicknamed "Samurai Mike" during his heyday with the Bears, had to separate Davis and Michael Crabtree as they engaged in a shouting match during practice. Davis, a captain, apparently ignited the incident as he chastised the second-year receiver.

Singletary eventually led both players to the locker room for an impromptu meeting, as practiced continued. Davis returned after 10 minutes, followed a few minutes later by Crabtree and Singletary. Although Singletary didn't reveal the nature of the dispute, he backed the tight end on principle – but felt Davis crossed a line in how his message was delivered.

When he met reporters after Wednesday's practice, Singletary declared, "There are no more elephants in the room. The elephant has been exposed."

He compared the dispute to a family feud.

"They were both wrong," Singletary said. "We will not have distractions on this team. Vernon just forgot temporarily that that is not allowed. We don't do that. We don't treat family like that. We don't disrespect each other."

Crabtree, whose work ethic was praised by Singletary a few weeks ago, hasn't appeared in a single preseason game since suffering a sprained neck on Aug. 12 as he landed awkwardly on his back after attempting to make a spectacular leaping catch of a high pass in the corner of the end zone.

Davis, meanwhile, is a walking symbol of Singletary's no-nonsense style. When Singletary debuted as interim coach in 2008, replacing Mike Nolan, he dismissed Davis to the showers – during the game – after the tight end committed a silly penalty. Their relationship since has grown significantly.

"I appreciate Vernon speaking from his heart, but it was just wrong," Singletary said of this week's drama. "He's not going to sugar-coat things. He doesn't know how to sugar-coat things. I wish he did sometimes."

As he continues to develop a young team that seems poised to contend for the NFC West crown after finishing 8-8 last season, Singletary wears his principles and old-school values on his sleeves.

"I'm not a big rules guy," he said, "but I believe in rules."

How many rules might the 49ers have?

"It depends on what sector you're talking about," he replied. "If you're talking about our identity, there are five things that should describe a 49er: He's physical and tough. Disciplined. Relentless. Smart.

"The other thing involves character and behavior. Do we treat each other with respect? That's my No. 1 word. Don't do anything that you don't want anybody to do to you. That's why I don't believe in in-fighting, calling names and all that other stuff. If you've got an issue with a guy, go to him and say, 'We need to work this out.' "

That message was surely amplified this week, with the latest in a series of issues that have surfaced during a summer that began with Singletary prescribing grueling, three-hour practices on each of the first four days of camp. Consider:

• In mid-August, defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer, a first-round pick in 2008, left camp due to "personal issues" and never returned. He was traded to the Seattle Seahawks for a sixth-round pick.

• Running back Glen Coffee, a third-round pick last year, abruptly retired. Coffee told reporters that he should have never pursued a pro career, and will focus on spiritual goals.

• Pro Bowl nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin missed camp, finally reporting Saturday after signing a $7 million franchise player tender.

Such turbulence is part of the job for any NFL coach, yet Singletary maintains that he's becoming better equipped to deal with adversity as he gains experience.

"For me, it's kind of like it is for a football player," he said. "The game is slowing down."

Expectations, though, are spinning furiously for a team whose .500 record last season ended a string of six straight losing seasons.

"It's time," said running back Frank Gore. "We've had our growing pains. Now we've got all of the pieces. If we take care of the small things, it can be a special year."

The small things. Singletary loves harping on those.

"Our first goal is to execute perfectly," he says. "Every other goal comes after that."

Said quarterback Alex Smith, "I think coach Singletary has done a really good job of keeping us short-sighted. We've got to earn everything, prove ourselves even more. He's pushing us to do that."

And pulling, prodding, counseling, too.

"We've got to get everything out of this team," said Singletary. "That's what I stress to our coaches. I need everybody, every day, every play, to be on point."

Link
Uhhhhh.. good article um.. the answer is yes Our offense is gonna step up, and our defense has always been legit and will be MORE legit this year.. GO NINERS!
[ Edited by eric90clark on Sep 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM ]
Originally posted by eric90clark:
Uhhhhh.. good article um.. the answer is yes Our offense is gonna step up, and our defense has always been legit and will be MORE legit this year.. GO NINERS!

Agree nice article. Can't wait to see the 49ers on the field this season! Hurry up & get here sunday!
Our coach can beat up their coach.
Originally posted by pelos21:
Our coach can beat up their coach.

this is really all that matters
Man, that article got me pumped. I ready to suit up for Coach Sing.
Share 49ersWebzone