Joe Starkey.

/thread.

THIS!

"It's a bonanza!"
im pretty sure starkey didnt play for 49ers
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Joe Starkey.

/thread.

Couldn't agree more. He will always be that classic voice of the 49ers in my opinion.

Lon Simmons
Originally posted by znk916:
im pretty sure starkey didnt play for 49ers

who said anything about play?
Voted for Plumber.

Torn between Starkey and Madden/Summerall.

My apologies for the TV reference but I saw more games on TV than I listen to.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Lon Simmons

Thank you!! at least someone remembers the best Niners announcer of all time!!
Who could ever forget his call when Steve Young ran through the vikings? "He's Gonna get tackled, NO gets away, Gets away again"!! etc,etc... or his calls on that final drive of Super Bowl 23, "Touchdown 49ers!! to John Taylor". I grew up listening to this man calling 49ers games on the radio as well as Giants games, he is a true legend and definately the best 49ers announcer of all time!!
Originally posted by montana4ever:
Lon Simmons

Thank you!! at least someone remembers the best Niners announcer of all time!!
Who could ever forget his call when Steve Young ran through the vikings? "He's Gonna get tackled, NO gets away, Gets away again"!! etc,etc... or his calls on that final drive of Super Bowl 23, "Touchdown 49ers!! to John Taylor". I grew up listening to this man calling 49ers games on the radio as well as Giants games, he is a true legend and definately the best 49ers announcer of all time!!

Agreed!!!

Lon Simmons

He was great at play by play. He had Hugh McElhenny as his "color" man during the 60s. Simmons saw the 9ers at their worst and at their best.
who the f**k is ED?
That's an easy one.....LON SIMMONS!!
1) Thread title is misleading. It ought to be : "Vote For Your Favorite 49ers COLOR COMMENTATOR" (By using "Announcer" you set yourself up for people coming in with their own candidates which will invariably be PLAY-BY-PLAY announcers (Starkey, Ted Robinson, etc.) which is altogether different from a color commentator.

2) It's not really fair to compare Eric Davis and Gary Plummer. Davis only does the 49ers preseason games on local television. Gary Plummer does all 49ers games on radio.

With that being said, Plummer is light-years ahead of Eric Davis.
OMG, you did NOT just think that Eric Davis the cornerback for the 49ers from 1990-95 IS THE SAME PERSON as Eric Davis the Cincinnati Reds baseball player ?!?!?

FAIL!
[ Edited by JedYork on Sep 4, 2010 at 7:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone