Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Whats wrong with him sharing a decent amount of carries with gore if he proves to be healthy; it'll keep Gore fresher and prolong his career. I don't get the strict allegiance to Gore being out strict majority RB.

I dont think Gore's going to be too opposite at the idea of saving a year or two of his career.

If you watch the 49ers you would know that Frank Gore gets better as the game goes on and the more carries he gets.

Frank Gore is our best player why would you want to take away your best player?

Im fine with Westbrook spelling Gore every once in awhile but the fact remains that Gore needs to be in the game as much as possible

But Gore hasn't made it through a full season since 2006. They can help eachother.

Truth

taking carries away is not a good plan. Truth

Ok smart guy, How would you propose that we keep Frank Gore healthy?

keep playing him the way we have been playing him, especially with our improved O-Line.

Im fine with Westbrook spelling Gore when necessary but Gore has to be the focal point.

Since Gore has been a starter he has played in 59 out of a possible 64 games, yeah we have a hard time keeping him healthy all that behind a pretty s**tty

This Frank Gore is injury prone or never healthy nonsense is a myth and needs to stop....smart guy

wait so if you're fine with westbrook spelling gore than what are you blabbing about?
Originally posted by dhp318:
Whats wrong with him sharing a decent amount of carries with gore if he proves to be healthy; it'll keep Gore fresher and prolong his career. I don't get the strict allegiance to Gore being out strict majority RB.

I dont think Gore's going to be too opposite at the idea of saving a year or two of his career.

If you watch the 49ers you would know that Frank Gore gets better as the game goes on and the more carries he gets.

Im fine with Westbrook spelling Gore every once in awhile but the fact remains that Gore needs to be in the game as much as possible

But Gore hasn't made it through a full season since 2006. They can help eachother.

Truth

keep playing him the way we have been playing him, especially with our improved O-Line.

Im fine with Westbrook spelling Gore when necessary but Gore has to be the focal point.

Since Gore has been a starter he has played in 59 out of a possible 64 games, yeah we have a hard time keeping him healthy all that behind a pretty s**tty

This Frank Gore is injury prone or never healthy nonsense is a myth and needs to stop....smart guy

wait so if you're fine with westbrook spelling gore than what are you blabbing about?

the people wanting westbrook and gore to split carries. A rb gets a break through out the game i understand that and that fine for westbrook to come in for a couple of plays but that should be it

the people wanting westbrook and gore to split carries. A rb gets a break through out the game i understand that and that fine for westbrook to come in for a couple of plays but that should be it

GORE AINT SPLITING ANYTHING. gore is going to get his 25-30 touches every game. id like to keep him at 20-25 total touches. plus an additional 10 total touches to the 2 back ups. this tells me that our receiving core is doing their jobs. and we have a well balance attack.
Not to be too negative, but Singletary sure is Captain Umm during these press conferences.

I counted 7 umms in the space of his 20 second opener
There is no way Westbrook takes legit work away from Gore. If anything, he takes away the basic FACT our run game is a cloud of dust beyond Gore. MOST importantly it takes away the abuse Gore gets because he can actually be spelled effectively. That means a healthy Gore all year!

Westbrook brings a good 3rd down back with burst, and more importantly -- great hands. Other than that, Frank the Tank is our man through and through. Singletary, the FO, and the team know this. Our fan base should hop on some knowledge and have faith. You're acting as if Westbrook is still his non-concussed, good ankled, he plays great at full speed self from 2007.

Truth

Since Gore has been a starter he has played in 59 out of a possible 64 games, yeah we have a hard time keeping him healthy all that behind a pretty s**tty line

Good logic.

I'd rather have a good few years of Gore producing 750-1000 yards if he's going to go strong for the next 3 years; instead of going out strong after one or maybe two and have a higher risk of injuries. No reason to make a significant cut, but maybe taking away a good 7+ carries could do some help, especially for the change of pace. He's already broken our franchise record.

Plus the thought of of a single dominant back isn't proving to be very successful in the NFL.

[ Edited by OregonNiner87 on Aug 16, 2010 at 21:31:34 ]
ESPN: How Brian Westbrook changes the 49ers

Quote:
A quick call to Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. helped advance the discussion on Brian Westbrook's addition to the San Francisco 49ers. Matt was leaving Pittsburgh Steelers training camp when I reached him Monday afternoon, not long after the 49ers announced Westbrook's signing. His take:

"I'd rather have Westbrook than Glen Coffee. I didn't think Coffee was a very good player. Maybe he knew that. He was very much a straight-line banger. Coffee was not a good enough No. 2, and they probably knew that with the drafting of Anthony Dixon, and then the kid retired.

"Westbrook clearly is a big upgrade as a pass catcher, and you cannot overlook that in any way. They say they want to be a heavy run team, and that is all well and good, but whether you like it or not, Alex Smith is the most important guy on that team. He is a quarterback most comfortable working out of the spread, and you have to cater to him. Just because you draft two big offensive linemen doesn't mean you have to pound the ball over and over and over. You need to do three-wides and use spread principles, and Westbrook fits that very well. He is an excellent pass protector. He also compliments Gore very well.

"Gore is a workhorse, but he is also injured a lot. You need someone like Westbrook to give you two games at a time, and I think he can probably still do that. Watching him, he is still a good football player. It comes down to what your team doctors say. If they say he's a liability with a knee, ankle or head, you cannot sign him. But apparently a handful of team doctors do not think it's an issue. This is a very good signing. The 49ers are a contender. If I were him, I'd much rather go there than to St. Louis or Washington. It adds up on all fields."

There were times last season when the 49ers' offense didn't seem to fit Smith and Gore at the same time. Gore preferred running out of the I-formation. Smith was more comfortable when the 49ers favored spread-type principles. While it's important for Smith and Gore to coexist in that context, Westbrook's addition could make it easier for the 49ers to more fully embrace a wider-open offense when it suits them. And if Gore stays fresher and healthier as a result, he comes out ahead, too.

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by whiskywarlord:
Originally posted by 209ers:
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
he says he's a big christian

k.....

lol, its actually one of the reasons he came here, because he respected singletary and that he knew singletary was a christian

absolutely nothin wrong with that in my opinion

so was coffee

So is about 90% of all NFL teams

Well hopefully God is a 49ers fan then?
Gore will not lose carries, it was said that Westbrook will be used if Gore were to go down with an injury, or just for a breather. I personally think Westbrook should be used more than that depending on how performs in practice. Westbrook is a serious upgrade to this team, hopefully he can get some playing time wether or not Gore gets hurt. Gore is our guy, give him 20+ carries/touches a game(no more than 30), and let Westbrook have anywhere from 5-10 touches, and Dixon maybe 2-3. That should leave about 25-30 pass attempts for Alex.

Truth

I don't think anybody on here who is excited about Westbrook is wanting him to split carries with Gore. What world are you in? Stop fabricating ideas so that you can argue with NT!

k.....

lol, its actually one of the reasons he came here, because he respected singletary and that he knew singletary was a christian

Originally posted by Shorteous:

Truth

I don't think anybody on here who is excited about Westbrook is wanting him to split carries with Gore. What world are you in? Stop fabricating ideas so that you can argue with NT!

lol, it has been said in some of these threads. Im not making it up
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Truth

lol, it has been said in some of these threads. Im not making it up

Assuming there is large amounts of people who think that we can take solice in knowing how the people who matter, the coach and Westbrook, are actually going to be running the show. It's been said by both Sing and Westbrook that Gore is the guy and Westbrook is only coming in for breathers and injuries.

k.....

so was coffee

talk about blessings in disguise....

Losing a 3rd round pick that, if we chose someone other than Coffee, could have helped the team for 10+ years is not a blessing in disguise just because we got Brian Westbrook for one season.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

k.....

so was coffee

talk about blessings in disguise....

Losing a 3rd round pick that, if we chose someone other than Coffee, could have helped the team for 10+ years is not a blessing in disguise just because we got Brian Westbrook for one season.

So the Niners were supposed to predict that Coffee would retire?
Share 49ersWebzone