LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 146 users in the forums

Thank You Glenn Coffee, sincerely.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
this thread is gay

Hur. Hur. Aren't you still living a floor or two within your parents basement?
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
If he was an honest man, he should have pulled his name from the NFL draft so that we could have picked someone else who would have given his best for the team.

Glenn Coffee... no thanks!

Sometimes you don't know, until you know. Would you rather him have half-assed it just enough to stay on the team for four years before losing the spirit to compete? He could have done that, and it would have been worse. So lets thank Glenn for making the best of a bad situation. A lot of the times, those are the hardest things to do. And by listening to the teammates, you can tell he was respected. Last year the press was positive, remember that. We don't have any real reason to dislike this guy.

Coffee admitted that he didn't have the passion for football. That's why he left the Alabama after his junior season. If that's how he felt, then he should have told all the teams that he wasn't interested in playing professional football, so that they all would have passed on him.

He's not being honest about it. He knew he didn't have the passion. He hid his true feelings and cost a team a 3rd round pick and a roster spot.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
As much as I appreciate what you are trying to do, Coffee was a terrible pick. Even if he became an all-pro, given his value at the time, he was a reach and not the kind of back we needed, even if we were going to take a back at that time. He was in no way the "BPA".

Obviously, with the latest development, we clearly evaluated both his talent AND his character wrong. He was the wrong guy, in the wrong situation, and beyond that, someone NOT committed to football as a career.

So, no. Not thank you. Screw you. He has hurt this team and it's development by just getting a paycheck and pretending to care about his job. Just like any employee you hire that has a great interview but then doesn't really care about their job.

I wish him the best beyond his football life, but he has done nothing as a Niner to be thanked for, especially pulliing a Ricky Willaims-like last minute move to decide during training camp that our likely number 2 RB is quitting the game.

I never liked the Glenn Coffee pick either. I thought we should have traded down to get Shonn Greene and I knew it was a mistake when we didn't. And I wanted Blount this off season, and when he went to the TItans, I said, "There goes a better RB than Coffee, heck, maybe even Gore in two years."

Like I said, I understand your respect for him for at least not dragging it out and being honest about the situation now. But in terms of thanking him, for me, it's like thanking him for turning himself in after his stole my car that I'm not getting back.

Better than the alternative of never getting a resolution, but not exactly "thank" worthy. He still hurt us more than he helped us. It's a net loss. A bad pick who couldn't (or wouldn't) even be a team player, at least a special teams stud or a solid backup if needed. I just can't thank a 3rd (which other than Gore, recently seems to be our curse) rounder for that. Even if he was a little honest in admiting he was bust early and on his own prior to us having to cut his ass.
Fcuk Glenn Coffee!
Action speaks louder than words.

[ Edited by 49ERSAM on Aug 13, 2010 at 23:33:12 ]
Most would of took the money and ran, if his heart wasn't in it then he did the right thing. Best of luck to him in whatever he does next.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
this thread is gay

Gay is a huge understatement for this thread.
If he was an honest man, he should have pulled his name from the NFL draft so that we could have picked someone else who would have given his best for the team.

Sometimes you don't know, until you know. Would you rather him have half-assed it just enough to stay on the team for four years before losing the spirit to compete? He could have done that, and it would have been worse. So lets thank Glenn for making the best of a bad situation. A lot of the times, those are the hardest things to do. And by listening to the teammates, you can tell he was respected. Last year the press was positive, remember that. We don't have any real reason to dislike this guy.

Coffee admitted that he didn't have the passion for football. That's why he left the Alabama after his junior season. If that's how he felt, then he should have told all the teams that he wasn't interested in playing professional football, so that they all would have passed on him.

He's not being honest about it. He knew he didn't have the passion. He hid his true feelings and cost a team a 3rd round pick and a roster spot.

He wasn't then, but he is now. You can check this by referencing the fact that he told you he lost his passion in college. Do you see how it can be better to admit your lies and be honest with yourself and others? The Coffee decision hurts us today, but helps us tomorrow and from there on.
As much as I appreciate what you are trying to do, Coffee was a terrible pick. Even if he became an all-pro, given his value at the time, he was a reach and not the kind of back we needed, even if we were going to take a back at that time. He was in no way the "BPA".

Obviously, with the latest development, we clearly evaluated both his talent AND his character wrong. He was the wrong guy, in the wrong situation, and beyond that, someone NOT committed to football as a career.

So, no. Not thank you. Screw you. He has hurt this team and it's development by just getting a paycheck and pretending to care about his job. Just like any employee you hire that has a great interview but then doesn't really care about their job.

I wish him the best beyond his football life, but he has done nothing as a Niner to be thanked for, especially pulliing a Ricky Willaims-like last minute move to decide during training camp that our likely number 2 RB is quitting the game.

I never liked the Glenn Coffee pick either. I thought we should have traded down to get Shonn Greene and I knew it was a mistake when we didn't. And I wanted Blount this off season, and when he went to the TItans, I said, "There goes a better RB than Coffee, heck, maybe even Gore in two years."

Like I said, I understand your respect for him for at least not dragging it out and being honest about the situation now. But in terms of thanking him, for me, it's like thanking him for turning himself in after his stole my car that I'm not getting back.

Better than the alternative of never getting a resolution, but not exactly "thank" worthy. He still hurt us more than he helped us. It's a net loss. A bad pick who couldn't (or wouldn't) even be a team player, at least a special teams stud or a solid backup if needed. I just can't thank a 3rd (which other than Gore, recently seems to be our curse) rounder for that. Even if he was a little honest in admiting he was bust early and on his own prior to us having to cut his ass.

I completely agree. I am just thanking Coffee for ending the lie. That is a big step many people don't make. Look across The Bay for a recent case and the consequences for that football team.

He wasn't then, but he is now. You can check this by referencing the fact that he told you he lost his passion in college. Do you see how it can be better to admit your lies and be honest with yourself and others? The Coffee decision hurts us today, but helps us tomorrow and from there on.

This doesn't help us in the future at all. We lost a 3rd round player who could have played for the team for 6-8 years! And are we getting any compensatory picks for this? None whatsoever! I respect your optimism, but there's no benefit from this.

Lastly, you don't thank someone who has done wrong to you or to your franchise. That's just being delusional.

A lot of people on here should be working for the 49ers. They know who should be selected and who shouldn't. For some reason though, they are only on here flapping their gums. Oh. I knew this guy would be terrible. Oh, we should have picked this guy instead.
this thread is gay
i wish him the best, but damn you could've done that right after the season ended so we could have prepared.
hell no f**k glenn coffee..we wasted a draft pick on him..he's got our money some of which we won't get back. he's 23 and a quitter. if he wanted to go into ministry then he could do it after he retired. f**k you glenn you stupid prick you sucked anyways.

p.s. i feel much better now
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
this thread is gay

Hur. Hur. Aren't you still living a floor or two within your parents basement?

no i have my own apartment during the school year and live on the 2nd floor of my parents house in the summer
Share 49ersWebzone