LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 168 users in the forums

AUBRAYO to sign tender soon!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I hope ABF sits the year out.

Holdout players RARELY go the distance after a holdout that takes them past Camp. Regardless of the work they put in the weight room during the holdout. Strength and conditioning suffers and they don't make it but a few weeks only to get a season ender and they're lost to their team anyway.

I know it leaves us extremely THIN at NT, but I think that could be a good thing cause I would slide Icebox back over and install LaBoy to LE. Problem solved until injury.

Holdouts suck for everybody.

~Ceadder

Sooo to recap lets hope one our best defenders sits out the entire season due to the possibility of injury. LOL and then on top of that lets move LaBoy down to 3-4 DE.

Holdout players RARELY go the distance after a holdout that takes them past Camp. Regardless of the work they put in the weight room during the holdout. Strength and conditioning suffers and they don't make it but a few weeks only to get a season ender and they're lost to their team anyway.

I know it leaves us extremely THIN at NT, but I think that could be a good thing cause I would slide Icebox back over and install LaBoy to LE. Problem solved until injury.

~Ceadder
Oh you mean like Crabtree? Yea, he never panned out.
[ Edited by NJNiner on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM ]
Originally posted by natrone06:

~Ceadder

Sooo to recap lets hope one our best defenders sits out the entire season due to the possibility of injury. LOL and then on top of that lets move LaBoy down to 3-4 DE.

Yes, we should sit Franklin for the entire season so he doesn't get a season ending injury.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

~Ceadder

Yes, we should sit Franklin for the entire season so he doesn't get a season ending injury.

genius.

its so crazy.......it just might work
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by baltien:
What a waste. And I don't know who's dumber here-- His agent for suggesting he hold out, or him actually agreeing to do it. Dude, show and prove and YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY. The Niners actually have an OUTSTANDING record when it comes to awarding and retaining their own free agents.

No reason why Franklin would be an exception here. He has to know they want to keep him (as evidenced by Patrick Willis publicly campaigning for him), they just (like any other team would) want to make sure that last year wasn't a fluke, and that he won't go all Albert Haynesworth once gets his money.

And what's the worst case scenario here? The Niners don't retain him and he signs for big bucks elsewhere. EITHER WAY, HE GETS PAID.

Franklin could learn a lot from how VD handled his contract status. He didn't make it an issue. AT ALL. He simply said "I'm sure something will get done," and then he went on his way. He still showed up to practice, and participated in all the other team activities as well. No fuss.

We need more of that in the league.

Aubrayo did what is right for him. He knows that he has to play well again this year, so why risk injury during training camp?

If he were to get hurt he could forgot about his payday. Now all he has to worry about his playing well in the regular season and stayig healthy during the regualr season

I hear you man, but I don't agree. For one, if he signed the offer when it was tendered to him, and went out and blew his knee this year (God forbid), he still gets $7 mil and some change for his troubles, AND retirement & disability benefits if he's never able to play again.

Cashing in on a large contract doesn't magically insulate you against injury. It's the inherit risk of playing football. And I don't think players should hold out based on what "could happen."
It's not about keeping the man healthy. This is Football after all. If you want to be healthy take up fishing or some other no impact sport.

The point is that it NEVER fails. There are always holdouts when the Franchise tag is applied. And more often than not within the first 6 weeks the player goes down with a bad injury and end up on the IR. And NO HELP to their team. Yaaaaaaaaay waste of top 5 money!!! to let the guy go at the end of the season.

So if picking on me makes you feel like a man so be it.

I'm just pointing out that I would rather he didn't sign, sit out the season and let the best team get him at the end of the year. I like the guy and think that he fits in our Defense better than any other 3-4 team. Just don't want to see our team waste that kind of scratch on a short season.

It saves the team 7 million, and allows conditioned Players to get onto the field and play.

I'm not sure about what would happen if he did sit as far as whether or not he'd be back with us the next year though. Anyone have an idea about that?

Man, gotta love the condescending atmosphere in the Zone.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 27, 2010 at 3:09 AM ]

~Ceadder

Oh yes Smart Guy, you might check what LaBoy's regular position is before you talk smack. The man is a stand up End who also plays LB in different situations.

So you were saying?

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Oh yes Smart Guy, you might check what LaBoy's regular position is before you talk smack. The man is a stand up End who also plays LB in different situations.

So you were saying?

~Ceadder

Huh? He's listed at 250.
It's not about keeping the man healthy. This is Football after all. If you want to be healthy take up fishing or some other no impact sport.

The point is that it NEVER fails. There are always holdouts when the Franchise tag is applied. And more often than not within the first 6 weeks the player goes down with a bad injury and end up on the IR. And NO HELP to their team. Yaaaaaaaaay waste of top 5 money!!! to let the guy go at the end of the season.

I'm just pointing out that I would rather he didn't sign, sit out the season and let the best team get him at the end of the year. I like the guy and think that he fits in our Defense better than any other 3-4 team. Just don't want to see our team waste that kind of scratch on a short season.

It saves the team 7 million, and allows conditioned Players to get onto the field and play.

I'm not sure about what would happen if he did sit as far as whether or not he'd be back with us the next year though. Anyone have an idea about that?

~Ceadder

I will try to say this in as nice a way as possible. I would hesitate to use the statements ALWAYS and NEVER when it comes to this situation. Franklin just pulled a Favruh and skipped all the minicamps, OTA's, and two-a-days. Remember, Lawson and Clements skipped every workout up until training camp and they are doing fine. Franklin is trying to stay healthy so he can play for his next big paycheck (.......with the Niners or someone else). Don't jinx him by assuming he is going to get hurt. Just be glad the Niners now have two players that can play a key position in the heart of their defense.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

~Ceadder

I will try to say this in as nice a way as possible. I would hesitate to use the statements ALWAYS and NEVER when it comes to this situation. Franklin just pulled a Favruh and skipped all the minicamps, OTA's, and two-a-days. Remember, Lawson and Clements skipped every workout up until training camp and they are doing fine. Franklin is trying to stay healthy so he can play for his next big paycheck (.......with the Niners or someone else). Don't jinx him by assuming he is going to get hurt. Just be glad the Niners now have two players that can play a key position in the heart of their defense.

I can agree with the "Always and Never" thing.

I cannot agree with the Nate and Lawson issue cause they were in Camp. OTAs' are non contact. At least I don't remember hearing about Contact. So missing those are no big deal since the Player can do just as much weight training elsewhere. I could care less that ABF missed OTAs' as well. I do care that he missed valuable conditioning during Camp. That's something that can come back to haunt you.

I feel that I'd much rather take a conditioned scrub into the season than take an unconditioned Vet. Show me you WANT to be here or stay home. I would like to see ABF remain a 9er and hope that nothing bad happens as a result of this holdout.

But if it happens I'm going to be the last guy that's surprised by it.

Favre is a steroid junky who is an anomaly. I'm kidding about the Steroids but c'mon, he's the exception to the rule.

The rule of Favre states that if it's damn near an impossibility, that Favre will make it look like it's done everyday.

Chuck Norris makes everybody shake when he walks into a room.

Favre makes Norris cry like a baby.

If ABF does get injured though, I'm gonna be so pissed off about how this went down. Shoulda just let him test the market and then make an offer based on what the market offered. Considering that there were only a few real big signings I think that was probably the way to handle it.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

So you were saying?

~Ceadder

He might have been an end in a 4-3, but he's a LB in a 3-4. He's too light to hold the end in a 3-4 base. Remember, you point your finger at someone else, there are 4 pointing back at you smart guy.
I see what Ceadder is worried about; I have the same concern. There is a reason why Singletary has a really tough training camp, it is to get players conditioned to sustain a brutal 16 game season. Without this type of conditioning I think holdout players are more prone to injury. How many times do we see players hold out and get injured early in the season? Maybe 50-60%?

However, I am glad to have Franklin back on the team. He is stout at the point of attack and can hold two defenders at the line of scrimmage. This is a HUGE plus for our defense.

The good thing about Franklin's holdout is that we got a really good look at RJF and it appears we have the ammo to let Franklin sign with another team if he asks for a rediculous contract.

I for one am happy that Franklin is back, our defense just got better.
Originally posted by Otter:

~Ceadder

LaBoy at end in a 3-4 at 250 pounds? I don't think so.

BUT... It works in Madden! lol
Originally posted by sdninerfan:

~Ceadder

So you were saying?

~Ceadder

He might have been an end in a 4-3, but he's a LB in a 3-4. He's too light to hold the end in a 3-4 base. Remember, you point your finger at someone else, there are 4 pointing back at you smart guy.

You would think after what 5 years of watching the 49ers play 3-4 fans would understand the concept! Laboy is a edge pass rusher and has been his entire career. I do apologize for the smart guy attitude however.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Aug 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM ]
screw franklin

I'M ON BOARD FOR RJF!!!
Share 49ersWebzone