There are 170 users in the forums

Bigger Bust - Rashaun Woods vs. Kentwan Balmer

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Bigger Bust - Rashaun Woods vs. Kentwan Balmer

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Woods. At least Balmer got on the field.

Scotty is killing me with this Balmer s**t. DeSean was there... twice.

were we the only team to pass on him? hindsights 20/20

No we weren't, but take this in consideration.

• DeSean's mentor? Jerry Rice.

• Where did DeSean play? Cal Berkley (kinda geographically convenient to scout often)

• The 49ers' needs that year?
WR, RT, WEAK ILB, OLB for pass rush

So tell me, why did we draft Kentwan Balmer? To play nose? To shore up on the d-line? I know Balmer fell a good number of spots and we weren't expecting him to be there, but there was probably a good reason for that.

I wouldn't call Rice his mentor.

I believe Rice was trying to recruit him to DeBartolo's sporting agency.

-9fA

Still, having Rice in your corner? Call the GOAT up and ask him about DeSean
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Rashaun Woods, not close.

Are you serious? Do you realize how little Balmer has done?

The man has 19 tackles, 11 of which were assists. That's it. Nothing more.

8 solo tackles vs. 7 catches for 160 yards and 1 TD.

And you're seriously gonna say it's not close?

Balmer is the bigger bust.

In terms of attitude and effort, Woods was obviously worse. BUT, in terms of output, they both sucked ass, but Woods did more.

It's simple; as of today's date and time Balmer is still on the team and Woods is not...

So what? Do you mean to tell me that if the raiders hadn't cut Russell, but instead allowed him to ride the pine and never see the field like the Niners have done with Balmer, he (Russell) wouldn't be the biggest draft bust of all time? Because he would still be with their team? Please.

You're only a bust when a team has finally given up on you; so, to answer your question, if the Raiders continued to try and develop Russell then I wouldn't consider him a bust yet. He would still be a massive disappointment; but, not a bust until the Raiders threw in the towel...

Now as for Balmer; he's getting closer and closer to that Bust label every day; but, last time I checked, the Niners haven't cut him yet...
BUMP!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
A.Smith

+3
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Jim Druckenmiller

Ths 26th pick in the 1997 draft he played in only six games, completing 21 of 52 passes for one touchdown and four interceptions.

Six games? El Busto!
Rashaun Woods: 6'2" - 205lb

Kentwan Balmer: 6'5" - 315lb

I don't know what all the arguing is about, They're both busts, Balmer is obviously bigger.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Rashaun Woods, not close.

Are you serious? Do you realize how little Balmer has done?

The man has 19 tackles, 11 of which were assists. That's it. Nothing more.

8 solo tackles vs. 7 catches for 160 yards and 1 TD.

And you're seriously gonna say it's not close?

Balmer is the bigger bust.

In terms of attitude and effort, Woods was obviously worse. BUT, in terms of output, they both sucked ass, but Woods did more.

It's simple; as of today's date and time Balmer is still on the team and Woods is not...

So what? Do you mean to tell me that if the raiders hadn't cut Russell, but instead allowed him to ride the pine and never see the field like the Niners have done with Balmer, he (Russell) wouldn't be the biggest draft bust of all time? Because he would still be with their team? Please.

You're only a bust when a team has finally given up on you; so, to answer your question, if the Raiders continued to try and develop Russell then I wouldn't consider him a bust yet. He would still be a massive disappointment; but, not a bust until the Raiders threw in the towel...

Now as for Balmer; he's getting closer and closer to that Bust label every day; but, last time I checked, the Niners haven't cut him yet...

This
Woods b/c i actually thought he could contribute to this team. Balmer is more of a very bad draft pick by the niners. Like Ted Ginn for the Dolphins. Not an all out bust but, he just shouldn't have been drafted that high. Balmer should've never been drafted that high, and I've never expected him to produce much especially in a 3-4.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Woods b/c i actually thought he could contribute to this team. Balmer is more of a very bad draft pick by the niners. Like Ted Ginn for the Dolphins. Not an all out bust but, he just shouldn't have been drafted that high. Balmer should've never been drafted that high, and I've never expected him to produce much especially in a 3-4.

Some of you guys talk like we reached for Balmer? I have pointed it out many times that Balmer was projected to be off the board by the time our pick came around. D. Jackson, although a local favorite, would have been a much bigger reach than Balmer.

In hindsight it may be absurd, but if we hadn’t picked Balmer, some other team would have picked him shortly there after.

Jackson is a risky pick that paid off, not our prior GMs biggest mistake.
Originally posted by jta854:

Some of you guys talk like we reached for Balmer? I have pointed it out many times that Balmer was projected to be off the board by the time our pick came around. D. Jackson, although a local favorite, would have been a much bigger reach than Balmer.

In hindsight it may be absurd, but if we hadn’t picked Balmer, some other team would have picked him shortly there after.

The point though is that WR was a glaring weakness and still would be if the raiders hadn't gifted us Crabtree. DLine was not a glaring weakness and they spent a first round pick on it. Now balmer is buried in the depth chart with no way of passing Smith or Franklin or Sopoaga for that matter (all of whom were on the team when he was drafted). Pick still makes no sense to me to this day. Pick up dline depth in later rounds not the first.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

When you guys are ready to listen I'm still here.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 13, 2010 at 09:53:15 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Woods. At least Balmer got on the field.

Scotty is killing me with this Balmer s**t. DeSean was there... twice.

were we the only team to pass on him? hindsights 20/20

No we weren't, but take this in consideration.

• DeSean's mentor? Jerry Rice.

• Where did DeSean play? Cal Berkley (kinda geographically convenient to scout often)

• The 49ers' needs that year?
WR, RT, WEAK ILB, OLB for pass rush

So tell me, why did we draft Kentwan Balmer? To play nose? To shore up on the d-line? I know Balmer fell a good number of spots and we weren't expecting him to be there, but there was probably a good reason for that.

I wouldn't call Rice his mentor.

I believe Rice was trying to recruit him to DeBartolo's sporting agency.

-9fA

Still, having Rice in your corner? Call the GOAT up and ask him about DeSean

Rice in your corner or not, 32 NFL teams passed on him once, some teams twice. And the team that drafted him, took Trevor Laws BEFORE they took Jackson in the same round. Jerry Rice in his corner did not change the opinion of 32 NFL teams when it cam to seeing the kid as a 1st round talent.
Balmer

I remember woods catching some passes late in the year

he had like 3 catches against the pats

Thats more than Balmer has ever done
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by jta854:

The point though is that WR was a glaring weakness and still would be if the raiders hadn't gifted us Crabtree. DLine was not a glaring weakness and they spent a first round pick on it. Now balmer is buried in the depth chart with no way of passing Smith or Franklin or Sopoaga for that matter (all of whom were on the team when he was drafted). Pick still makes no sense to me to this day. Pick up dline depth in later rounds not the first.

We can debate BPA drafting and need drafting all day. But if they had him rated pretty high I have no problem with the pick (at that time).
Glenn Coffee
Share 49ersWebzone