LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

If we beat the Vikings last year, Is Alex Smith the starter today?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If we beat the Vikings last year, Is Alex Smith the starter today?

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Doesn't matter, because today, Alex Smith is the starter.

this x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Hill still would've been pulled regardless. Starting with the Rams game it was pretty clear that Hill's limitations were starting to show and defenses just started to load up close to the line of scrimmage to stop the run game and shut down the short passes Hill is most comfortable with.

In Hill's defense the offense we were attempting to run didn't fit him at all so he was nearly doomed from the onset to fail.

Hill's limitations were evident long before he was named QB1 to start last season.

I broke it down before we were out of 2008. Not that I wanted him to fail but I could see how his arm limitations would cost this team. Smith has his limitations too. But I could do more with Alex than I could with Shaun if I were running the Offense and it was the WCO.

People forget that Joe and Steve had the benefit of the Slant and Recievers that loved to run that pattern. Didn't matter when they got it. Jerry and JT and the other Receivers over 17 seasons loved to(accordging to Jerry "America's Game "89") just catch the ball and get those yards on their feet with the hair standing up on the back of their necks cause they knew that everyone were trying to catch them.

Half the passes to his Receivers last season were modified Slant routes. Those require the ball to be there as the Receiver is breaking. Hill's arm was good for maybe one or two of those a game. Alex gives us that possibility at any time and the Opposing Defense knows this. We used Seam routes too for Duke but if he was covered then the Slant would break off that. That high pass to Tree, where he had to reel it in in stride was a Slant route.

Hill won games yes. But imho, that was more due to nobody having the film on him to properly Defense him. You couldn't tell if that was an OC making the call for all short yardage stuff with the occasional big play or if that was called to meet the limitations of the QB. Then let's not forget that the Defense played a big part in his wins. He was just asked to go in and not lose the game for us. Let his Defense clean it up. They did. You could say that somewhat about Smith. But he's also had a few comebacks when the entire team stunk it up.

Which is another reason I would go with Smith over Hill. I just hope that this is his "light switch" year. If not we can move on and that will have been that.

I just watched all 5 America's Game features on HULU last night '88 and '89 we had some truly bad games. People don't remember these so much because of the greatnes of Joe and Steve.

But one thing Steve said in the '94 feature, was that with the 9ers you could have all the MVPs' and Passing titles and accolades that come along with being QB1 on our team and put it in a little bag. If you don't take our team to the Super Bowl you and your little bag may as well move on cause we don't love you. In my experience this is the truest thing ever said by any player affiliated with the 9ers.

I'm paraphrasing of course, but I hope that makes sense.

~Ceadder
I hate what ifs........Dont blame Hill losing his job on Roman. He was given a chance and blew it. If Alex falls he blew his last chance..... Its on going cant change the past.
Where is the proof that Hill has a noodle arm? I mean I believe it, but is there a video, clip or something that proves this?? Cuz I don't recall...
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Where is the proof that Hill has a noodle arm? I mean I believe it, but is there a video, clip or something that proves this?? Cuz I don't recall...

"it came down like a punt"
Originally posted by valrod33:

HAHA

- Josh Morgan
Originally posted by valrod33:

video plz
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Hill would of still been pulled in the Atl game.

I don't believe he would have, he would've been 4-2 to start the season.

Agreed! Raye's playcalling was ridiculous at certain points, as I am sure we will see during certain times this season. Hilll would probably eventually be pulled due to his inadequecies, but it would likely have taken a few more games.

Smith may not have played as many games, but he would likely still be the starter. I sure hope he is on as tight of a leash as Hill. If we start the season 3-3, they might need to move on from the Smith experience...
Share 49ersWebzone