There are 200 users in the forums

A scary article about the upcoming season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:
Quote:
Mays tops my list as the most overrated DB prospect in draft history, a completely uninstinctive weight room wonder that lacks both field and self awareness. He’ll make the occasional highlight-reel thump and will fill the box with authority, but he makes Roy Williams look like Darrelle Revis in coverage.

Haha! He might be right on with this take though!

disagree he seems to be pretty decent in coverage much better than i expected and especially this early too and his work ethic is simply nothing but amazing i expect big things from him

LOL Didn't camp only start YESTERDAY? What exactly have you been watching of him?

He looked pretty horrid at the senior bowl. Check out 6:20 on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWx_lBIdxDI

I'd wait until the season starts to make such bold statements. In college he really struggled in coverage, with angles, and even with basic tackling techniques. He got a lot of hype thanks to the program he played at. I saw him play most of his games in college and if anything, he regressed in his senior season. He only managed 2 INTs in his last three years as a starter. And last year he routinely looked unfocused and often would take cheap shots and personal fouls. Not the type of person I like rooting for. Hope he turns it around though.

OTA's and he came everyday after hours and even on days where there was no practice to study films and apparently he has been annoying the coaches asking too many questions

Like I said still WAY too early! lol Aren't all OTA's non-contact? And how did you get the privilege of watching OTA's? Or are you just basing your opinion on what others have said, rather than what you've actually seen. As I said, his large body of work(or lack there of) at USC speaks for itself. It takes more than a few weeks to turn that around. We'll see what he does when he actually has to put some pads on. And I noticed you completely ignored the senior bowl footage.
This is an opinion.......................plain and simple. Good points about potential concerns, but that doesn't mean squat till the Niners take the field in the regular season. Peter King ranked the eventual Super Bowl Champion Saints 24th out of 32 teams last preseason. How well did that turn out? It's not like the Niners coaches don't know about their team's perceived weaknesses. That is why they play the games..........
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Originally posted by Happs:
Here is a scary article I just read. This guy seems to make some good points. Can we discuss why he is wrong. I hope he is wrong.

The real scary part is the very last sentence

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_teamarticle/660/20100729/san_francisco_49ers_season_preview_2010/

Don´t be scared, he flat out lies, take a look at the last sentence of his 2009 Niners Preview:

Link

Quote:
But I see more cloudy skies than that. San Francisco finishes 5-11 and in position to take another crack at drafting a franchise quarterback next April.

That dude claims he was never off in his prediction by more than one game for five years and misses last years record by three games?

Nope, not scared.

dammit, I wish I had read this post before that long article.
Quote:
Mays tops my list as the most overrated DB prospect in draft history, a completely uninstinctive weight room wonder that lacks both field and self awareness. He’ll make the occasional highlight-reel thump and will fill the box with authority, but he makes Roy Williams look like Darrelle Revis in coverage.

disagree he seems to be pretty decent in coverage much better than i expected and especially this early too and his work ethic is simply nothing but amazing i expect big things from him

LOL Didn't camp only start YESTERDAY? What exactly have you been watching of him?

He looked pretty horrid at the senior bowl. Check out 6:20 on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWx_lBIdxDI

I'd wait until the season starts to make such bold statements. In college he really struggled in coverage, with angles, and even with basic tackling techniques. He got a lot of hype thanks to the program he played at. I saw him play most of his games in college and if anything, he regressed in his senior season. He only managed 2 INTs in his last three years as a starter. And last year he routinely looked unfocused and often would take cheap shots and personal fouls. Not the type of person I like rooting for. Hope he turns it around though.

OTA's and he came everyday after hours and even on days where there was no practice to study films and apparently he has been annoying the coaches asking too many questions

Like I said still WAY too early! lol Aren't all OTA's non-contact? And how did you get the privilege of watching OTA's? Or are you just basing your opinion on what others have said, rather than what you've actually seen. As I said, his large body of work(or lack there of) at USC speaks for itself. It takes more than a few weeks to turn that around. We'll see what he does when he actually has to put some pads on. And I noticed you completely ignored the senior bowl footage.

im not saying he has made a 180 degree turnaround im just saying that from what ive heard he has done much better in coverage than the team expected him too . I know it will take more than a couple of weeks to turn his bad habbits around however i have only heard positicve things about him that includes his coverage and especially work ethic. And i definitally wouldnt mind rooting for a guy with that much work ethic. And i have no problem rooting for a guy who practically lives in the film room and isnt afraid of asking of asking coaches on how he can get better.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Here is a scary article I just read. This guy seems to make some good points. Can we discuss why he is wrong. I hope he is wrong.

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_teamarticle/660/20100729/san_francisco_49ers_season_preview_2010/

Don´t be scared, he flat out lies, take a look at the last sentence of his 2009 Niners Preview:

Link

Quote:
But I see more cloudy skies than that. San Francisco finishes 5-11 and in position to take another crack at drafting a franchise quarterback next April.

That dude claims he was never off in his prediction by more than one game for five years and misses last years record by three games?

Nope, not scared.

Her was saying the 2010 season would be 6-10, not saying the 2009 record WAS 6-10. He clearly stated the record in 09 was 8-8 or am I way off base here??
I believe the hype about the team is justified this year. The article had valid points but saying that Vernon Davis is a one hit wonder is way off. This is the season he can become one of the best tight ends in the business. IMO if the offensive line jells the team will make a big splash. That being said the article can be thrown in the trash if the 49ers get off to a fast start.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Link

Quote:

Nope, not scared.

Her was saying the 2010 season would be 6-10, not saying the 2009 record WAS 6-10. He clearly stated the record in 09 was 8-8 or am I way off base here??

The author claims that in the past 5 years, he has never been more than one game off in his prediction of our final record each year. Yes he stated our 2009 record was 8-8, but the poster I'm quoting found the author's preseason article from 2009 predicting we would finish 5-11. Clearly more than one game off.

[ Edited by LAFortyNinerfan on Aug 2, 2010 at 22:06:42 ]
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Link

Quote:

Nope, not scared.

The author claims that in the past 5 years, he has never been more than one game off in his prediction of our final record each year. Yes he stated our 2009 record was 8-8, but the poster I'm quoting found the author's preseason article from 2009 predicting we would finish 5-11. Clearly more than one game off.

I posted this earlier. He not only was lying about last years predictions but his claim of being 1 game off each of the last 5 years is a bold face lie!

I went even further and checked his record for the previous years that he also claims to have predicted the Niners final record with in 1 game. This guys is such a huge liar! He only got 1 year right and the rest weren't even close. The closet he got other than his 1 correct year was within 2 games in 2007.

Here is his track record with predicting the Niner season.

year / pred / real

2010 / 6-10 / ?
2009 / 5-11 / 8-8
2008 / 7-9 / 7-9
2007 / 7-9 / 5-11
2006 / 3-13 / 7-9

This guy has no credibility whatsoever!!! Someone needs to call this guy on it!!

You can find all of his season previews from 2006-2010 on this page:
Link

[ Edited by Ramp19Stoner on Aug 2, 2010 at 22:24:59 ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I don’t trust a repeat campaign of greatness from Vernon Davis. I don’t trust the secondary beyond Dashon Goldson
Read more: http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_teamarticle/660/20100729/san_francisco_49ers_season_preview_2010/#ixzz0vURUsHQl

Thats just a stupid comment. Spencer was a beast last year and that was the first year returning from an ACL injury.

I can't wait until Nate "puts it on em" this season.

Considering Lockdown-22 has shut down Fitz every single time since he's put on a Niner uniform, I guess this writer doesn't trust Larry Fitzgerald either, HAH. It's amazing sometimes when people say stupid things, that make no sense.
Quote:

It's kinda hard to be good in coverage when your college coach doesn't make you work on it, but instead wants you to light up opposing players and tells you there's nothing you need to work on. They didn't use Mays in coverage. They didn't want to. He was never taught properly, but now he has professionals teaching him the skills he lacks. His size, strength, agility and speed alone show he is capable of being a good cover man - as long as he works on it. All indications are that he is indeed working on it.

Quote:

im not saying he has made a 180 degree turnaround im just saying that from what ive heard he has done much better in coverage than the team expected him too . I know it will take more than a couple of weeks to turn his bad habbits around however i have only heard positicve things about him that includes his coverage and especially work ethic. And i definitally wouldnt mind rooting for a guy with that much work ethic. And i have no problem rooting for a guy who practically lives in the film room and isnt afraid of asking of asking coaches on how he can get better.

It should be noted that SS will fit his style of play much better than FS - his primary position at USC. Furthermore, I think its fairly well documented that Michael Lewis hasn't been the 2nd coming of deon sanders during his time with the niners.

And just as Lewis has done, Mays will be asked to play closer to the line of scrimmage thus excentuating his strengths as a heavy hitter and solid man-coverage guy and offsetting his weaknesses as a poor open field tackler and zone coverage guy.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Link

Quote:

Nope, not scared.

#1 thing i hate is guys like this with no credibility acting like they have an excellant feel for a certain team, then u do research and realize hes full of s**t, someone should email him and call him out on it

I emailed him when I noticed that as well. We'll see if there's a response or not.

LB
Nothing scary about this. What would be scary is if I lose my tickets to the home opener this season
Share 49ersWebzone