LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Did V.Davis price tag just go up?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for Oakland-Niner.
SAN DIEGO -- Antonio Gates has caught plenty of big passes for the San Diego Chargers, and on Wednesday he hauled in the biggest contract ever given to an NFL tight end.

Gates agreed to a five-year, $36.175 million contract extension, with $20.4 million guaranteed, according to a person familiar with the deal, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the figures weren't released. The deal averages $7.235 million per season from 2011-15.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-07-28/gates-gets-36m-contract-extension-from-bolts#ixzz0v7wWJyAY

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-07-28/gates-gets-36m-contract-extension-from-bolts

Obvious.....
Vernon will get more.......how much more I
Apparently Davis is looking for 40 mill and 25 mill guaranteed. Since thats below his set mark anyways, I doubt it pushes Davis's up
No, I'm guessing that probably means Vernon gets a very similar or even lower contract. Antonio Gates put up better stats than Vernon last year (although it's close) and has put up big numbers for a while now compared to Vernon who's only done it for one year (not dissing, he's amazing).

That means Vernon probably gets around 7 mil/year which is less than the 5 year 40 mil contract he was asking for but about the same as the amount we were probably gonna pay him.
I say we match or beat that contract for Vernon.

say we give him 7.5M a yr, and we extend his current deal 5 extra years through 2015, he is already scheduled to make 8M after a escalator he achieved.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Apparently Davis is looking for 40 mill and 25 mill guaranteed. Since thats below his set mark anyways, I doubt it pushes Davis's up

Given his age and that he is just entering his prime compared to gates who is just over 30 and has been slowed by injuries I think it sets Davis's value at exactly what he is asking
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

say we give him 7.5M a yr, and we extend his current deal 5 extra years through 2015, he is already scheduled to make 8M after a escalator he achieved.

I wouldn't mind see that at all. He has become the face of the franchise on offense. He is like the ultimate ambassador.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I wouldn't mind see that at all. He has become the face of the franchise on offense. He is like the ultimate ambassador.

exactly, and i think the hold up might be how to work in an option bonus similar to 1st round picks.

If I recall, we didnt put a option bonus in willis' deal.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

exactly, and i think the hold up might be how to work in an option bonus similar to 1st round picks.
If I recall, we didnt put a option bonus in willis' deal.

Would you mind elaborating for us regular folk...
The answer is NO. Gates' contract is in line with waht VD's camp was seeking. If anything, it drove it down a bit.

I'd like to say no because he hasn't done it as long or as well as Gates but that has never stopped agents from trying to land max contracts based on their clients potential. Looking at it objectively and setting all the stats aside, I believe VD is the best TE in the game based on where he's at now and what he could produce when the offense is running properly. I'd have no problem seeing him get top $ given the strides he made last year. Not only his performance but he really turned the corner and grew up last year and that more than anything makes me comfortable seeing him get the max.

3 things worry me about the contract negotiation:

1-The guarantee we'll have to extend just to match the Gates deal isn't something I'm sure the front office will be too keen on given the doldrums our franchise is just now starting to come out of.

2-Is the club financially willing to exceed the cap and pay the penalty given the multitude of negotiations and re-negotiations we'll be facing after a successful season?

3-I have no idea what the CBA situation will do to contract negotiations??? Maybe it's not complicated at all or maybe it's stupifyingly difficult; I literally don't know what rules govern this thing in the event of a lockout.

If I'm VD's agent I'm definitely trying to land this money now given the spring board season Vernon had and the looming cluster F in the off season.
[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Jul 29, 2010 at 9:22 PM ]
as far as them having similar production #s to justify a similar contract deal.....

Gates had Pro Bowl QB Phillip Rivers passing him the ball all most of his career.

Vernon had.......well, had Alex Smith.

that is what I think Vernon's agent is going to say during the contract talk...and he will probably have that smiley look on his face.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
as far as them having similar production #s to justify a similar contract deal.....

Gates had Pro Bowl QB Phillip Rivers passing him the ball all most of his career.

Vernon had.......well, had Alex Smith.

that is what I think Vernon's agent is going to say during the contract talk...and he will probably have that smiley look on his face.

Vernon's also 4 years younger so this entire contract will occur within his prime. Gates is 30 and could start to break down towards the end of the deal.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
The answer is NO. Gates' contract is in line with waht VD's camp was seeking. If anything, it drove it down a bit.

I hope so
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Vernon's also 4 years younger so this entire contract will occur within his prime. Gates is 30 and could start to break down towards the end of the deal.

Antonio Gates didn't play college football and doesn't have the wear of a typical 30 year old tight-end. He's yet to miss a start due to injury since becoming the starting tight end in San Diego at mid season in 2004.

However, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Davis based off his run blocking in comparison to Gates.
Share 49ersWebzone