LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Barrows: 49ers tried to trade Glen Coffee on draft day

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigmike55:
We've been needing a change of pace back for the longest time. So many other teams around the league have utilized a stable of two or three running backs that all have different running styles.

We have Gore, who's a tough shifty runner with elusive speed who is a top back when he's healthy.

We have Coffee, who is a downhill runner, not a homerun threat, but supposed to be our short yardage back. Not that productive last year during the regular season, but considering our Oline was one of the worst in the league, that's no surprise.

And now we have Dixon, who's bigger than both Gore and Coffee, but is known for his quick feet and playmaking ability.

I would like to see a Speedster in the mix. C.J. Spiller would've been nice, but maybe we can find one in next year's draft. Ultimately, I think we'll be okay with the guys we have this upcoming year. Let's just wait and see.

I remember after the draft last year Maiocco said that the Niners had Shonn Greene pegged in the 3rd round, but he was selected 65 to the Jets, and the Niners then took Coffee at 74. Now Greene is the starter for the Jets and has LT as his backup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft
Niners 3rd round draft picks have just been down right horrible. And what team in there right minds would trade for Coffee. You can find that type of back everywhere with out having to trade for one.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Niners 3rd round draft picks have just been down right horrible. And what team in there right minds would trade for Coffee. You can find that type of back everywhere with out having to trade for one.

Um...Frank Gore was a 3rd rounder....
So were there any suitors? Probably not since Rb's come a dime a dozen and are the easiest to replace or plug in. Not a big deal since Coffee has not done much. I'd like to know what we were asking for him
well Coach Sing has made it well known that he doesn't want a change of pace back. He wants a hard nosed big runner that will beat down on opponents, Coffee added some pounds this offseason and with an improved O-Line I think Coffee can really emerge as a decent backup for Gore. If for some reason he doesn't than Dixon has a shot to step in the 2nd spot if he can learn to stop dancing around in the backfield and just run through his holes. Bottom Line is we need a backup for Gore who the defense will still have to respect as if Gore was on the field and not on the sideline.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Um...Frank Gore was a 3rd rounder....

True, Let's make that 3rd round draft picks have been horrible minus Frank Gore.
Well Coffee never should have been drafted that high in the first place, why would anyone trade for him?

Coffee was at best a late 4th round talent, but we stupidly reached for him because we didn't have a 4th rounder. I become increasingly displeased with the pick as time rolls along. Coffee needs to do something of note -- and fast -- to change my mind, as well as many others' here too.
Most RBs are a dime a dozen. If your oline blocks well then any decent RB can become a pro-bowler. Our run blocking oline was horrible last year and the only reason Gore did what he did was because he's better than the average RB.

Hopefully A. Davis and Iuputi live up to their hype and we have a dominant oline.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
cause he suck

we only had him for 1 year he did great in preseason i think with a decent o line he will be decent

dOod....he was horrible in the regualar season
i dont understand why singletary wants 3 of the same rbs???? i want a change of pace back who will burn opposing defenses, is that too much to ask???

Originally posted by WestCoast:
cause he suck

we only had him for 1 year he did great in preseason i think with a decent o line he will be decent

Coffee will be fine, he may not be the stud we hoped for but in an offense that doesn't run 3x's and punt with Hill at QB, things might actually open up for him. Gore wasn't too hot in the same situation either.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
cause he suck

didnt he get injured?
Never liked him.

Glen Coffee..just listen to that name. Doesn't sound like a beast RB.

Frank Gore
Adrian Peterson
Chris Johnson
Anthony DIXON
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Jul 29, 2010 at 11:52 AM ]
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Never liked him.

Glen Coffee..just listen to that name. Doesn't sound like a beast RB.

Frank Gore
Adrian Peterson
Chris Johnson
Anthony DIXON

And we all know it is the name that makes the running back. Take Herschel Walker for example, that name screams monster running back...
Share 49ersWebzone