There are 173 users in the forums

Michael Lombardi says Willis is top 10 Frank Gore is not...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Isn't this the same guy who made the bold statement about Gore where if you take away all of his long runs, then he only had short ones? Dude's a genius!

I stopped reading after he ranked Calvin Johnson as a red-chip... you mean he only runs long routes? Weird, its almost as if Detroit was down in every game and needed multiple big plays to stand a chance.

This guy is living off his last name and is as biased as Peter King when it comes to ranking players and teams.
Lombardi forgot to include Brian Jennings, the best long snapper in the NFL.

As with any list, it's highly subjective. Lombardi is usually fairly accurate in his assesments and as a Walsh disciple he is not a 49er hater.
Its really hard to tell if frank has lost a step with 8 or 9 guys in the box.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

As with any list, it's highly subjective. Lombardi is usually fairly accurate in his assesments and as a Walsh disciple he is not a 49er hater.

Originally posted by Chief:
To review, I'm breaking down the amount of blue- (those among the top 10 at their position) and red-chip players (top 15) on each team. Along with the players, I am also identifying six blue-chip coaches (more on this later).

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Blue-chip players: LB Patrick Willis, TE Vernon Davis and P Andy Lee.

Red-chip players: Nickel rusher Manny Lawson, nickel DT Justin Smith, DE Isaac Sopoaga, FS Dashon Goldson NT Aubrayo Franklin and RB Frank Gore.

The 49ers finished fourth in the league in points allowed and in examining their list, it is easy to see why they were so good defensively. They have young talent that can control the line of scrimmage. Still, their ability to take the next step depends on quarterback Alex Smith playing well for 16 games.

The Dumbass Link

Very interesting list, it is purely his opinions and it shows. Frank Gore is one of the top 5 running backs IMO but he has him listed as below top 10. Also very interesting that he included Manny Lawson, who I think is a great and underrated player on this board.
Thoughts?

This list is all over the place.

Look at Smith's play and stats from the 3-4 DE spot. They're unreal. He belongs in the top 10 with Gore.

It's also major stretch to put Lawson or Sopoaga in the top 15 at this point. Goldson is debatable too.

Whatever it is, something's way off. Dude can't decide if he's a homer or a hater.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

I like Lombardi, he usually isn't a homer, and had actual experience in the NFL (49ers).

I wonder if he's assuming that Gore is on the downslope of his career? I personally dont think so, and think Gore has 3 more great season's in him before he slows down, who knows with his heart though he may last even longer

I think Manny gets a bad rap on this site, but top 15 is a stretch. Also, very surprise to see SOAP on the list
He missed Brian Jennings. Who is undoubtedly a blue chipper at his position. If not a gold Chipper (the best). He has no credibility.
I would take a healthy Frank Gore over all those guys because he is the only one who is a complete back. I believe he is the best pure running back in SF history and I have seen a few.

I also have a friend who is a Steelers fan who thinks Frank gore is the best running back in the league.
who cares what he thinks...da tank will hitem up for 1500yrds 10+ td's

kick rocks lombardi
Lawson and Soap hahaha ya ok my word. Willis is the best LB in the buiz duh, Gore is top 5, not top 10 give me a break, well Mike Lombardi did work for the Raiders, even though he used to work for us, but whatever.

I'll just pretend I didn't see this.

F**k Soap!! he is damn suck!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
F**k Soap!! he is damn suck!

Yes BuZz, he is not the chip of yestertime f**king.
so what. Lombardi is not a top 10 anal-yst.
wtf is ice doing
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
wtf is ice doing

Seriously. Lawson too.
Share 49ersWebzone