There are 164 users in the forums

Alex Smith doesn't pass the Rule of 26-27-60

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html?xid=si_nfl

Perhaps we should not be stunned by JaMarcus Russell's utter flop as an NFL quarterback -- low-lighted this week by his arrest for possession of a controlled substance in Alabama.

But could a simple formula have warned us of Russell's lack of NFL readiness? And Ryan Leaf's and David Carr's and other failed, high-pick quarterbacks?

Call it the Rule of 26-27-60.

Here is the gist of it: If an NFL prospect scores at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, starts at least 27 games in his college career and completes at least 60 percent of his passes, there's a good chance he will succeed at the NFL level.

There are, of course, exceptions. If NFL general managers always could measure heart, determination and other intangibles, then Tom Brady would not have been drafted in the sixth round.

But short of breaking down tape, conducting personal interviews and analyzing every number and every snap of every game, remember the Rule of 26-27-60 the next time a hotshot prospect comes down the pike.

Since 1998, these are some of the NFL quarterbacks who aced all three parts of the Rule of 26-27-60: Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Matt Ryan, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Stafford.
Name Wonderlic Starts Completion Percentage
Peyton Manning 28 45 63
Philip Rivers 30 49 64
Drew Brees 28 36 61
Tony Romo 37 35 62
Matt Schaub 31 36 67
Eli Manning 39 38 61
Kyle Orton 26 37 60
Kevin Kolb 28 47 62
Matt Ryan 32 28 60
Ryan Fitzpatrick 48 28 60

Meanwhile, among the once highly-touted prospects who failed at least one part of the formula: Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, Michael Vick, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Daunte Culpepper, David Carr, Vince Young and JaMarcus Russell.
Player Wonderlic Starts Completion Percentage
Ryan Leaf 27 24 53
Joey Harrington 32 26 55
Michael Vick 20 21 56
Akili Smith 26 11 58
Tim Couch 22 27 67
Daunte Culpepper 18 43 64
David Carr 24 26 62
Vince Young 16 32 61
JaMarcus Russell 24 29 61

There are a few notable exceptions to the rule but only by slight margins. Two-time Super Bowl champ Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25 on the Wonderlic, just one point short of the standard of 26. Jay Cutler -- a mixed-bag thus far in the NFL -- scored exactly a 26 on his Wonderlic and had the starts, but completed 57 percent of his passes at Vanderbilt. Joe Flacco, who's been to the playoffs in each of his first two seasons, fell short in the starts category.
Jay Cutler 26 43 57
Ben Roethlisberger 25 38 65
Joe Flacco 27 22 64

How about the quarterback class of 2010? Top pick Sam Bradford aces the rule easily, but the other three high-profile rookie QBs -- the Browns' Colt McCoy, the Broncos' Tim Tebow and the Panthers' Jimmy Clausen -- all fall short on the Wonderlic, although not by much.
Sam Bradford 36 31 67
Colt McCoy 25 53 70
Tim Tebow 22 42 67
Jimmy Clausen 23 35 63

It stands to reason why the Rule of 26-27-60 makes the most sense as a quick guide to NFL quarterbacking success, too.

The 26 represents the minimum Wonderlic score required to score a passing grade. Consider some of the lower-scoring quarterbacks drafted since 1998 when it comes to the Wonderlic: Vick (who scored a 20), Akili Smith (26), Couch (22), Carr (24), Young (16, first reported as a six) and Russell (24). All of them have been considered at best under-achievers, at worst busts.

The most notable exceptions to the rule are Brett Favre, who scored a reported 22 on the Wonderlic, and Donovan McNabb, who scored a reported 14.

The 27 represents the minimum number of starts a quarterbacking draft prospect should have had in college to make the grade. Ask any NFL scout if he would rather have 12 games to grade or 27. Playing a lot of games means more opportunity to hone your craft in the heat of battle and gain confidence in your ability to perform under pressure. That translates well to the next level. Oregon's Akili Smith was drafted in 1999 after making just 11 collegiate starts. He ultimately made just 17 starts in Cincinnati.

And how many quarterbacks, like Leaf and Russell, have been drafted based on "upside." That is another way of saying a player couldn't complete 60-percent in college. Do you really think he can do it at the next level?

The exceptions are few. Finding NFL quarterbacks certainly is a science, but it's not rocket science. When in doubt, turn to the Rule of 26-27-60.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html?xid=si_nfl#ixzz0t7hwULGF

Alex Smith 40-22-67.5 Does he make it up in the dominating scores for Wonderlic and comp%?
Interesting read. The reason why Alex failed the # of starts is because he finished his degree in three years and opted for the draft (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But anyway, we'll see if semi-bust Smith will finally finish a full season with the performance we expect from a #1 overall pick or will he fail. Unlike his rookie season, he has talent surrounding him this time.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html?xid=si_nfl

Perhaps we should not be stunned by JaMarcus Russell's utter flop as an NFL quarterback -- low-lighted this week by his arrest for possession of a controlled substance in Alabama.

But could a simple formula have warned us of Russell's lack of NFL readiness? And Ryan Leaf's and David Carr's and other failed, high-pick quarterbacks?

Call it the Rule of 26-27-60.

so basically ur saying he blew the wonderlick out of the water, he missed the starts by 5 games, and he is accurate, but he doesnt make the cut by that stat.... i dont get it
Here is the gist of it: If an NFL prospect scores at least a 26 on the Wonderlic test, starts at least 27 games in his college career and completes at least 60 percent of his passes, there's a good chance he will succeed at the NFL level.

There are, of course, exceptions. If NFL general managers always could measure heart, determination and other intangibles, then Tom Brady would not have been drafted in the sixth round.

But short of breaking down tape, conducting personal interviews and analyzing every number and every snap of every game, remember the Rule of 26-27-60 the next time a hotshot prospect comes down the pike.

Since 1998, these are some of the NFL quarterbacks who aced all three parts of the Rule of 26-27-60: Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub, Kyle Orton, Kevin Kolb, Matt Ryan, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Stafford.
Name Wonderlic Starts Completion Percentage
Peyton Manning 28 45 63
Philip Rivers 30 49 64
Drew Brees 28 36 61
Tony Romo 37 35 62
Matt Schaub 31 36 67
Eli Manning 39 38 61
Kyle Orton 26 37 60
Kevin Kolb 28 47 62
Matt Ryan 32 28 60
Ryan Fitzpatrick 48 28 60

Meanwhile, among the once highly-touted prospects who failed at least one part of the formula: Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, Michael Vick, Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Daunte Culpepper, David Carr, Vince Young and JaMarcus Russell.
Ryan Leaf 27 24 53
Joey Harrington 32 26 55
Michael Vick 20 21 56
Akili Smith 26 11 58
Tim Couch 22 27 67
Daunte Culpepper 18 43 64
David Carr 24 26 62
Vince Young 16 32 61
JaMarcus Russell 24 29 61

There are a few notable exceptions to the rule but only by slight margins. Two-time Super Bowl champ Ben Roethlisberger scored a 25 on the Wonderlic, just one point short of the standard of 26. Jay Cutler -- a mixed-bag thus far in the NFL -- scored exactly a 26 on his Wonderlic and had the starts, but completed 57 percent of his passes at Vanderbilt. Joe Flacco, who's been to the playoffs in each of his first two seasons, fell short in the starts category.
Jay Cutler 26 43 57
Ben Roethlisberger 25 38 65
Joe Flacco 27 22 64

How about the quarterback class of 2010? Top pick Sam Bradford aces the rule easily, but the other three high-profile rookie QBs -- the Browns' Colt McCoy, the Broncos' Tim Tebow and the Panthers' Jimmy Clausen -- all fall short on the Wonderlic, although not by much.
Sam Bradford 36 31 67
Colt McCoy 25 53 70
Tim Tebow 22 42 67
Jimmy Clausen 23 35 63

It stands to reason why the Rule of 26-27-60 makes the most sense as a quick guide to NFL quarterbacking success, too.

The 26 represents the minimum Wonderlic score required to score a passing grade. Consider some of the lower-scoring quarterbacks drafted since 1998 when it comes to the Wonderlic: Vick (who scored a 20), Akili Smith (26), Couch (22), Carr (24), Young (16, first reported as a six) and Russell (24). All of them have been considered at best under-achievers, at worst busts.

The most notable exceptions to the rule are Brett Favre, who scored a reported 22 on the Wonderlic, and Donovan McNabb, who scored a reported 14.

The 27 represents the minimum number of starts a quarterbacking draft prospect should have had in college to make the grade. Ask any NFL scout if he would rather have 12 games to grade or 27. Playing a lot of games means more opportunity to hone your craft in the heat of battle and gain confidence in your ability to perform under pressure. That translates well to the next level. Oregon's Akili Smith was drafted in 1999 after making just 11 collegiate starts. He ultimately made just 17 starts in Cincinnati.

And how many quarterbacks, like Leaf and Russell, have been drafted based on "upside." That is another way of saying a player couldn't complete 60-percent in college. Do you really think he can do it at the next level?

The exceptions are few. Finding NFL quarterbacks certainly is a science, but it's not rocket science. When in doubt, turn to the Rule of 26-27-60.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/08/qb.rule/index.html?xid=si_nfl#ixzz0t7hwULGF

Alex Smith 40-22-67.5 Does he make it up in the dominating scores for Wonderlic and comp%?

You're late to the party.

Also, John P. Lopez of SI.com made the rule up in an attempt to write about football in July. No scout in their right mind would use such an arbitrary set of guidelines to judge Quarterbacks.

NFL Quarterbacks who started at least one game in 2009 who don't fit into the rule:

Alex Smith (40-22-67)
Kurt Warner (X-12-57)
Brett Favre (22-X-53)
Aaron Rodgers (39-20-63)
Matt Stafford (38-32-57)
Josh Freeman (27-26-59)
Matt Moore (X-19-60)
Donovan McNabb (14-49-X)
Matt Cassel (X-0-71)
Kerry Collins (30-24-56)
Vince Young (16-32-61)
David Garrard (14-36-56)
Chad Henne (22-42-59)
Trent Edwards (31-17-58)
Chad Pennington (24-45-63)
Tom Brady (33-25-62)
Jay Cutler (26-43-57)
Ben Roethlisberger (25-38-65)
Joe Flacco (27-22-64)
Mark Sanchez (28-16-64)
Brodie Croyle (24-11-60)
Jason Campbell (23-50-64)
Bruce Gradkowski (19-22-65)

Unknown Information: Matt Hasselbeck, Shaun Hill, Mark Bulger, Seneca Wallace.
[ Edited by redrathman on Jul 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Alex Smith is a great QB.

I've got faith.
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex Smith is a great QB.

I loled

-9fA
This is a stupid formula. There are plenty of very good QB's that don't pass the test. On top of that... Alex had a higher wonderlic score and completion percentage than Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and every other good QB on that list. There is a reason why he was drafted #1. You can blame his inconsistent play in the NFL on whatever you want... but make no mistake, he looked fantastic on paper and on the field when we drafted him.
Personally I don't care one way or the other. This thread should be sucked into the Alex Smith thread momentarily.

I just want our team to win it's a TEAM effort and way too much emphasis has been put on the QB over the last 5 years when there were way too many other areas of need to be addressed.

I find it incredibly short sighted for people to say "I could have lived with Rattay..."

But when it comes to Smith then it's "Smith is a suck ass QB(paraphrasing here)..."

When we KNOW he hasn't had any kind of assistance from this team until now.

If he succeeds?

If he fails?

It's just another offseason in Paradise and I personally am getting tired of the BS coming from all you damn whiners. How bout you do us all a favor an get together pitch in for a Keg and have your pity party elsewhere.

~Ceadder
Who cares..

Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Interesting read. The reason why Alex failed the # of starts is because he finished his degree in three years and opted for the draft (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But anyway, we'll see if semi-bust Smith will finally finish a full season with the performance we expect from a #1 overall pick or will he fail. Unlike his rookie season, he has talent surrounding him this time.

very good point. Case closed.

Plus I don't think guys named Tom Brady and Joe Flacco fit this rule anyways. And is this thread trying to say Alex Smith isn't as good as Ryan Fitzpatrick?
[ Edited by global_nomad on Jul 8, 2010 at 7:01 PM ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

very good point. Case closed.

Plus I don't think guys named Tom Brady and Joe Flacco fit this rule anyways. And is this thread trying to say Alex Smith isn't as good as Ryan Fitzpatrick?

This thread isn't trying to say anything. I posted the article because I thought it was an interesting read and I do think there is something to be said for the scored in these areas. The only area Alex was really lacking was experience. Which is something he has acquired. I think he has the tangibles, but we will see.

As for everyone that complains about threads, I don't get it. This is the off-season. This is a specific forum about a specific sport for a specific team. It's great when people can come up with some original intriguing threads, but most of us are not sports writers. If you don't like the thread move on. Don't try to pad your post numbers.
this is very fluke
Maybe the most ridiculous article ever written
The SI writer actually screwed this one up for the simple reason that he doesnt understand statistics. The actual correlation goes like this: In the last 10 years, QB's drafted in the first or second round that have played 37 games and had 60% accuracy in college have been very, very successful. Players drafted in round 1 & 2 who haven't had both of these stats have not done well. There is no correlation after round 2.
Share 49ersWebzone