There are 202 users in the forums

Why I think we won't make the playoffs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
awaiting for more funny gifs.
All I got to say is STFU or GTFO
  • kray28
  • Veteran
OP is basically correct.

Put your homer glasses aside for a second and you realize that the Niners as a team have yet to prove anything. We played some good teams close, made some near comebacks from big deficits, but basically never won any big games (against quality opponents) except the ones against the Cards who we're essentially used to playing, and who were also a team with injuries and on the decline. Every other game against a quality team saw us lose.

This team has to take that next step now of not just beating the doormats, but also knocking off some contenders and even a few elites. If you can't do that, you don't even belong in the playoffs.
[ Edited by kray28 on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:52 PM ]
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Also, Pete Carroll will improve the Seahawks.

No he won't. I bet he is back coaching college football in 3 years. I live in NE and Carroll was a horrible head coach. He was given a great team after Parcells left town and was a major disappointment. Kraft dumped him cause he blew and hired Bilicheck who goes and wins a ring with many of the same players like 2 years later. Carroll is a great college coach but I dont see him improving anything, if anything I think he makes the team worse.

I'm confused, aren't the Seahawks a college team?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
I think we will make the playoffs.

Frankly, just making the playoffs is not good enough for me. This team has some real talent....it now has to be coached to wins over teams that it supposedly isn't good enough to compete with.

While I personally like Singletary from a leadership standpoint, I question the acumen of the coordinators he has around him, and ultimately I also question his abilities as a game manager and a tactician.

Basically all the good teams we lost to last year saw Singletary get outcoached by the other team's HC. If this team is going anywhere this season (realistic goal for me is NFC Semi-Final), the coaching quality has to change.
Special Teams Improvement = winning field position battle
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
I think we will make the playoffs.

Frankly, just making the playoffs is not good enough for me. This team has some real talent....it now has to be coached to wins over teams that it supposedly isn't good enough to compete with.

While I personally like Singletary from a leadership standpoint, I question the acumen of the coordinators he has around him, and ultimately I also question his abilities as a game manager and a tactician.

Basically all the good teams we lost to last year saw Singletary get outcoached by the other team's HC. If this team is going anywhere this season (realistic goal for me is NFC Semi-Final), the coaching quality has to change.

That is so true!!!
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
awaiting for more funny gifs.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
[b]All I got to say is STFU or GTFO[/b]

Homer is Not happy!

• treetrunks
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by fastforward:
the vikings and colts got lucky and the team should be better this year than last year. No reason the niners dont make the playoffs this year.

how the hell did they get lucky?

Gore broke out ONE RUN against the Colts and we couldn't do jack after. They won fair and square after that because we couldn't stop s**t at the end. Against the Vikings, we were getting OWNED during the first half then WE got lucky with the block FG return TD.

You obviously forgot the two-minute offense at the end of the first half.

I was talking about Gore who averaged only 2 yard a carry after that run. Peyton Manning lit us up for 350 yards and Addai threw a bomb on us. This defense is overrated at crunch time, can't you see that?

Why do you say that the Defense is overrated at crunch time? I'd like to see any defense that is on the field as much as ours was the past few seasons light s**t up all game long.

Originally posted by treetrunks:
the vikings and colts got lucky and the team should be better this year than last year. No reason the niners dont make the playoffs this year.

Gore broke out ONE RUN against the Colts and we couldn't do jack after. They won fair and square after that because we couldn't stop s**t at the end. Against the Vikings, we were getting OWNED during the first half then WE got lucky with the block FG return TD.

I was talking about Gore who averaged only 2 yard a carry after that run. Peyton Manning lit us up for 350 yards and Addai threw a bomb on us. This defense is overrated at crunch time, can't you see that?

Why do you say that the Defense is overrated at crunch time? I'd like to see any defense that is on the field as much as ours was the past few seasons light s**t up all game long.

This, honestly, our defense allowed 7 points per 2nd half last season, I believe "crunch time" falls within the 2nd half.
Originally posted by RumphLegacy:

This, honestly, our defense allowed 7 points per 2nd half last season, I believe "crunch time" falls within the 2nd half.

umm let's see what games we lost during crunch time

Titans, Colts, Vikings, and Seahawks

the other games--we got blown out after the first half
Originally posted by RumphLegacy:

umm let's see what games we lost during crunch time

Titans, Colts, Vikings, and Seahawks

the other games--we got blown out after the first half

Titans..... Alex doin what he does
Colts...... Peyton didn't throw a TD
Vikings....ummm, first down to win the game?
Seahawks...... Held to 17 in as many possesions, 14 points for our offense,lol

You are mentally challenged if you think our problems lie in defense, 4th in the league in points, seriously, those loses would have been way worse if not for our D, 2 of those losses you mentioned had us scoring 14 points, that's awful, Titans game had 15 turnovers against us, and the viking game would have been won with a first down, in the 4TH Quarter, that D wasn't even fresh.

At the time of that game, the 49ers defense wasn't overrated. Everybody thought that Manning and his crew would destroy the 49ers, and the Colts won in a squeaker. Jimmy Raye going conservative in the second half after that morale-booster two-minute offense and Smith/Raye miscommunication that resulted in the delay-of-game were big disappointments, but the 49ers (even the offense) definitely played above their reputation in that game. A mere week before, they were on the verge of being on the receiving end of another blowout.

Jimmy Raye hasn't shown at all that he could be innovative. All of his plays to Davis and Gore are all the SAME. His lack of creative usage for the 2nd and slot WR is alarming. The Raye Gun is the s**ttiest immitation of the Wild Cat in the league. I have zero confidence in Raye and I have no doubt that he'll be the reason for our downfall next season. Singletary is still stuck in the 80s with his run first approach while other teams are actually living in the present time/future.

Although I do think we will make the playoffs, this post right here is my only worry this season. Continuity or not, the jury's still out on Raye. We all witnessed some horrendous calls on offense, on some critical downs last season that I didnt forget. Lets see if Raye can really handle and utilize what we have on offense. Lets not wait too long to make a move if he cant.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
the vikings and colts got lucky and the team should be better this year than last year. No reason the niners dont make the playoffs this year.[/quote

and Vikings got lucky with a last second miracle Favre pass

its gonna all have to do with QB play, thats it.

only after this:

1-10-SF 47 (1:49) 29-G.Coffee right guard to SF 49 for 2 yards (93-K.Williams, 56-E.Henderson).

Timeout #1 by MIN at 01:45.
2-8-SF 49 (1:45) 29-G.Coffee up the middle to MIN 49 for 2 yards (94-P.Williams).

Timeout #2 by MIN at 01:41.
3-6-MIN 49 (1:41) 29-G.Coffee right end to MIN 47 for 2 yards (56-E.Henderson).

Jimmy Raye is a freaken joke.

The last time I was that furious watching a series of plays during a niner game had to be that ridiculous substitution at the end of the Monday night game against the cards in 08.
Share 49ersWebzone