LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

Razzano remarks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BY_4_HOF:
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by BenQ:
missing on 7 yard outs is unacceptable

I don't get the Razzano's quote about the missing on 7-yard-out. Did he actually watch the games? Smith actually was pretty decent on the long passes. His accuracy problem was on the shorter ones.

you're joking right? man, you Smith defenders have really low standards as far as quarterbacking.

The dude has been here a week and has six posts and you already have him pegged as a Smith defender with low standards?

Originally posted by ninerlegacy:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
This guy thinking that Davis should be out there now starting destroys any credibility he might have had for something that happened 30+ years ago. He doesn't seem to be able to get it that people that work hard to can become better. I hope Davis pans out because he has a good skill set physically, but the QB position requires more than just that, and that more is just what he is struggling with now. Any fool with a strong arm can thro0w the ball 50 yards, it takes brains to be a QB.

You don't know what you're talking about. This is football, not differential equations or multivariable calculus. Intelligence is probably the 3rd or 4th skill set required to be a good QB, behind system continuity and leadership skills. Thats Razzano's point. And all this talk about Alex Smith being so 'smart' is BS too. How is he smart? b/c he got a high Wonderlick score? Thats just another test used to make certain groups appear superior and others inferior. (Frank Gore is living proof the wonderlick means nothing---as he shows great intelligence on the field.) When has Alex Smith ever exploited an opponent with his so-called intelligence? Umm...never. His college coach called him "non-functional" until he knows things inside out. Sounds pretty average to me. As a QB Smith is no smarter than anybody else...including Davis. Lets stop all this IQ nonsense. Smith is average. This year, we will see how functional he is.

when has any one in a niner uni the last decade had a TEAM that could exploit someones weakness? or had any kind of continuity? defense won us the few games weve won lately. the defense and frank gore have been the reasons we have won the handful of games we did win lately up until last year when alex came in and showed we could move the ball in the air. alex exploited the s**t out of people with VD last year in 2/3 of a season during an offensive shift in philosophy midseason and a shuffling O-line. i cant wait to see him this year once the line gets settled with an offense tailored to him.

I don't get the Razzano's quote about the missing on 7-yard-out. Did he actually watch the games? Smith actually was pretty decent on the long passes. His accuracy problem was on the shorter ones.

you're joking right? man, you Smith defenders have really low standards as far as quarterbacking.

Please prove what you accused me of. Or are you only good at making baseless attacks?
Originally posted by ImaMod:
does anyone remember this?

Michael Robinson: "do you know how many years Coach sing has played?"
Nate Davis: uh...7

Michael robinson: do you know how many pro-bowls hes been to?
Nate Davis: uh....10
michael robinson: SERIOUSLY?

omgi totally remember that

Please prove what you accused me of. Or are you only good at making baseless attacks?

yea seriously he makes no sense....but anyway i actually though Smith was far more accurate on his short and medium throws than his deep throws. A handful of deep throws to Crabtree enters my mind, that he didnt lead him enough.

i really hope smith proves this doucheface wrong
this razzano guy is completely biased btw. Very good chance he is bitter that Smith basically cost him his job in st. louis LMAO.

Oh and starting Nate Davis? Seriously? wtf are u drinking?
How dare a long time, professional scout of 5 superbowl teams, with a enviable football pedigree (who is right by the way) insult the opinions of a few slack jawed, under achieving Madden 2010 is real members of the webzone... Wow, some of you have obscenely high opinions of yourselves and your football “scouting” acumen.
I think it's fair to say that we all want "Our" QB to succeed (no matter who it is) but Razzano's assessment is/was dead on and now only Alex can help to alter those perceptions. Here is a simple truth, even if Alex has an all pro year (this season) Razzano's profile of him was still spot on in terms of his play and ability up to “this” point of his career.
P.S. (I could be wrong but) I think Nate Davis will have his time in 9erland very soon as Smith will achieve his maximum ceiling this season.

Dirty
Originally posted by RumphLegacy:
Originally posted by Johnster:
See the following...

QB Wonderlic scores
40 - Alex Smith
33 - Tom Brady
33 - Steve Young
30 - Phillip Rivers
29 - John Elway
28 - Drew Brees
28 - Peyton Manning
25 - Ben Roethlisberger
22 - Brett Favre
15 - Steve McNair
15 - Randall Cunningham
15 - Dan Marino
15 - Terry Bradshaw
14 - Donovan McNabb

Need I say more?...

sources:
http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/2/17/762095/combine-the-wonderlic
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=61&f=3972&t=3012998

Yeah, that test is pretty much as stupid as they get, I'm suprised you didn't see those numbers and realize that test does not evaluate talent on even a basic level,
drew brees, peyton manning, and steve young all less talented than smith?
I feel like the largest facepalm on the earth cannot describe that test, and the fact that you use it as evidence to prove his talent is like using stool samples
to determine talent.

Here is my interpretation of the contribution of the intelligence indicated by the Wonderlic score: modern-day QB is a demanding job. Not only a QB has to have all the physical skills, he also needs to have the intelligence to grasp the complex offensive systems AND defensive formations throw his way. If he plays under a Martz-type of system, he has to learn lots of modifications to the playbook every week, not only for his position, but also for the key players in that play. This is where Wonderlic score gives the drafting teams additional evaluation tool. A WCO team will favor highly-intelligent QB (Davis won't make that team) for example. The difference between 40 (Smith) and 35 (Rodgers) actually isn't that big. Sometimes it just means that one person was more careless than the other one. However there is a big gap between 35 and 15. The average score for QB is about 26. Is Wonderlic score the predictor of how successful a QB can be? Of course not, because just like any other skill (arm strength for example), that raw skill is just something waiting to be developed further, and molded with other skills to form the perfect package - a successful QB.

I agree with your post, the Wonderlics ability to judge talent is restricted to inteligence, however, the reason I got angry was because someone presented the test as a way to hold Smith above the top QBs today, basically saying "SMITH IS BEST LOL" whereas the ability of the test is actually limited to intelligence, not actual overall ability. Anyway, I shouldnt argue with Smith lovers, 3 months from now we will all be depressed over the season.
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
How dare a long time, professional scout of 5 superbowl teams, with a enviable football pedigree (who is right by the way) insult the opinions of a few slack jawed, under achieving Madden 2010 is real members of the webzone... Wow, some of you have obscenely high opinions of yourselves and your football “scouting” acumen.
I think it's fair to say that we all want "Our" QB to succeed (no matter who it is) but Razzano's assessment is/was dead on and now only Alex can help to alter those perceptions. Here is a simple truth, even if Alex has an all pro year (this season) Razzano's profile of him was still spot on in terms of his play and ability up to “this” point of his career.
P.S. (I could be wrong but) I think Nate Davis will have his time in 9erland very soon as Smith will achieve his maximum ceiling this season.

Dirty

Your assesment of our scouting abilities is probably accurate, however collectively isulting NT on an NT forum really comes accross as something that was not thought through, anyway heres to Nate Davis rising up, working on his bandwagon soon.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I am rooting for Alex Smith but Nate Davis in the little playing time he had last preseason has already shown to me that he has a better feel for the game. Alex should be better but how far can he take this team?

I hope like hell Smith comes through for us, but to this point Razzo is right and everyone in this thread calling him out is being a bling homer.

Alex Smith to this point has been a HUGE dissapointment. I know all the arguments, but anybody who says that Smith has lived up to expectations, in spite of all the arguments, is lying to themselves.

I want to be wrong, and will be overjoyed if I am, but I honestly believe that SF will be drafting a new QB next April after Smith dissapoints yet again, unless of course Terrific Tom happens to make it to FA some how. In that case SF had better back up the truck.....
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 3, 2010 at 6:01 AM ]
question for all of you can ya not wait and see i belive alex has the tools and skills to run the team and nate fans are unreal plz look back at otas and mini camps this year nate davis is throwing the most picks in camps alex is throwing very little most of the picks are of nate yes its only camp but if nate cant show it in shorts he will never start even if he throws good in training camp and preseason
Originally posted by RumphLegacy:
Originally posted by Dirty9er:

Dirty

Your assesment of our scouting abilities is probably accurate, however collectively isulting NT on an NT forum really comes accross as something that was not thought through, anyway heres to Nate Davis rising up, working on his bandwagon soon.

Thought through - Always.... Ironic - eehhhh It could be considered...

Dirty
This is all so patently obvious but nobody's said it yet. Davis and Smith have opposing tendencies. Smith has to know all the plays, where everybody is, and rarely improvises. Davis was out there playing street ball.

By improvising, I mean that Smith had one trick last year when the pocket broke down, roll out and most of the time throw it out of bounds. You almost never see him make that little move that frees him up to make a pass. It's like Razanno said, Smith needs a clean pocket. Davis, OTOH, seems like the kind of guy who thrives on a little chaos.

Maybe knowing the playbook and having a little more experience will help Smith deal with his pocket problems. Certainly he can watch film and be aware that rolling out wasn't the ideal solution to the pressure he felt.

It's very rare to find an individual who can stay calm in all that mayhem. The odds are, none of us could ever do it. Let's hope Smith can or he'll always be mediocre.

Or we could hope that Davis learns the playbook, learns to use the laces, and kicks ass in 2011.
I'm not sure how some of you guys are saying, "I hope Smith proves Razzano wrong." Smith has already proved Razzano wrong. I dont think there is much doubt Smith is a starter in this league. The question now is, will he be of Dilfer quality or something much better. Based on his stats he can be a top 15 QB. However, I'm afraid he will be one of those guys that always has pretty good stats from now on, but doesn't have the "it factor" when it counts.
Share 49ersWebzone