There are 232 users in the forums

D-Line Rankings Yahoo!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ohhh yahoo.. What stupid f**ks they have writing there for sports.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Jason Cole of Yahoo sports has the niners ranked 19th as far a D-Line is concerned.
LINK

Quote:
19. San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers like to sell people on the greatness of Aubrayo Franklin(notes). Nice player, but more along the lines of Cincy’s Domata Peko, a tough, hard-working sort. That leaves ends Isaac Sopoaga(notes) and Justin Smith(notes), who are both solid. Smith is terribly overpaid, but that’s the nature of free agency in the NFL.

Agree or Disagree?

Kind of dumb. They should compare 4-3 d-line with 4-3 d-lines, 3-4 d-lines with 3-4 d-lines, etc.

I don't care about how much Smith is paid but he is certainly doing everything and more esp. for a 3-4 RDE. I somewhat agree re: Franklin b/c he'll never be a Wilfork or Williams but in a one-gap, he's above average. Sopoaga is a very solid LDE and should continue to get better. Of the other 3-4 defensive lines, I'd say we're above average for sure. We need to keep perspective that how often did teams run against us vs pass? Was that b/c we were so effective along the d-line with our LB's or b/c we were more weak against the pass?

I read somewhere...a statistic site somewhere that Smith was the top end in the league in the QB pressures/ general makin' chaos on passing downs dept. It didn't shock me...I believe it...I truly do think he is the most disruptive end in the league. We lose Smith, our D is not near what it is now. He is worth every penny, easily.

But that was probably done by a site that had actually seen him play and/or did research. That doesn't follow proper protocol.

Justin Smith? Did he have a sack in the Pro-Bowl? Don't think so. He Sux.

The above logic is a much more atypical way to confirm value. Its the same system used by professionals everywhere, like ratings agencies on Wall Street, as well as multi-billion dollar energy internationals, like BP.

True.

The site I read that at did have a very detailed database going, they were doing their research. Wish I could remember which site it was.
Warren Sapp tallied all the numbers/performances (on NFLN's 32 in 32 series) and listed us as having a top-5 defensive-line/unit (and that we're incredibly underrated).

For Christ sakes we were the only team last season to stop Peyton Manning from getting a single TD in a complete game!

We're a damn good team, but again, we're just gonna keep getting this s**t until we make a strong push for/within the playoffs next season (then everybody will come out and say "oh... well they were actually really underrated last season but we were just being biased a*****es!").
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
Hey, look at the bright side. At least he did not rank you 31st and take a shot at your coach.

Lol. I didn't recognize very many members of your dline either and I get to see the Hawks twice a year.
I disagree with a couple of things...first of all, Justin Smith earns every penny he's being paid. There's not a harder working DE in the entire league. I'm also not sure I agree he should be lumped in w/Sopoaga...Justin's way beyond "solid" and I'm not even sure Ice deserves that category. If he's solid, Justin's in the "very good" category. I'd tend to agree WRT Franklin...he's effective in Manusky's 3-4 scheme...but I'm not ready to say he belongs in the upper tier of NT's. I think if youngsters RJF and Balmer reach their full potential we have the makings of a pretty darn good DL.
I believe I have a message for that yahoo writer.

• Hctr
  • Veteran
After i seen Detroit ranked ahead of our line , I just closed the site , c'mon based on a rookie that has not played yet (not to say Suh is not a beast)
  • Antix
  • Veteran
The lac of love that Smith gets is mad annoying. Dude is top 5 RE in th league easily.

My only problem with our line is lack of NT depth, that will probably come to hurt us this season.

Originally posted by Antix:
The lac of love that Smith gets is mad annoying. Dude is top 5 RE in th league easily.

My only problem with our line is lack of NT depth, that will probably come to hurt us this season.

Oh well, its not like you get anointed a championship on the basis of some under-educated writer. Winning clears everything!

[ Edited by NinerBuff on Jun 30, 2010 at 15:03:44 ]
I don't think these clowns actually watch the teams they write about. At best they view a few highlights that show little. Smith is not overpaid - if we had someone as good on the other side his sack stats would be ESPN moments.
Let's see:
4th in points per game
4th in sacks
6th against the run

I don't see how that equates to the 19th best d-line, but then again I'd rank Yahoo's sports writing team as the 19th best on the internet and I'm sure they would disagree with that.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Warren Sapp tallied all the numbers/performances (on NFLN's 32 in 32 series) and listed us as having a top-5 defensive-line/unit (and that we're incredibly underrated).

For Christ sakes we were the only team last season to stop Peyton Manning from getting a single TD in a complete game!

We're a damn good team, but again, we're just gonna keep getting this s**t until we make a strong push for/within the playoffs next season (then everybody will come out and say "oh... well they were actually really underrated last season but we were just being biased a*****es!").

1st. of Love da name and movie(Escape from NY)
But your points well on. And people like this "writer" typically follow de status quo and pick the popular picks w/o going out on a limb, or even doing research(because that be to much work wouldnt it)..Sopoaga was listed as an underrated player by NFL network last year. Justin Smith DID make the Pro Bowl(since when is a Pro Bowler overpaid ?).
Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:
Let's see:
4th in points per game
4th in sacks
6th against the run

I don't see how that equates to the 19th best d-line, but then again I'd rank Yahoo's sports writing team as the 19th best on the internet and I'm sure they would disagree with that.

Most of these writers just go with the popular/status quo rankings and rarely do any research, or worse-know what da truth is ,but are too scared to take a position opposite the populas! Dont wanna piss off the magazine folks or their editor (who may be a Cowboy, Pats, Chicago, et al fan) right !
Share 49ersWebzone