LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Assuming playoffs clinched this weekend.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Would you rest starters for the finale against Az? I think Seattle's gonna kick the Cards out of the stadium and the 9ers will beat Atl. We clinch wildcard and Az is pretty much out of the playoffs.

Az is going to be pissed off and just wanting to beat the 49ers up.

I think it would be wise to give the backups/role players a bit of practice and try to minimize the chance of injuries to the starters. What say you?
Depends on what the scenarios are for the fifth seed going into week 17. I don't believe in sitting all the starters in any case but if the game truly has zero meaning then Id sit vets like Gore, J.Smith, McDonald, Manningham, Rogers, Goodwin and anyone who has any lingering injuries like Iupati
I don't think that resting players stuff works. We need to keep our foot on the accelerator. If anything, go for kill early and try to put them out of the game quickly because Arizona will be very motivated. THEN put the backups into the game.
No.

Our players don't seem so good after a break.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I am going to guess that the team's brain trust will be able to figure out what to do if your assumption is correct
and if it isn't they will still be able to figure out the next step.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I don't think that resting players stuff works. We need to keep our foot on the accelerator. If anything, go for kill early and try to put them out of the game quickly because Arizona will be very motivated. THEN put the backups into the game.

That doesn't work. You only have a limited number of players. And if you keep the regular inactives then you have no backups.

If a player has been playing through injury he is inactive. For someone like iupati he needs to play to knock off the rust.
No. Rest guys like Gore and anybody banged up, but keep the momentum going.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We'll be playing for the 5th seed. No, to resting players, until the game is sealed.
Originally posted by mayo49:
We'll be playing for the 5th seed. No, to resting players, until the game is sealed.

This.

New Orleans plays Carolina this week. Who ever loses that game is still eligible for the 5th seed if they won the subsequent week, and we lose to Arizona.

As mentioned before, our playoffs started after the screw job in New Orleans in week 11. No time for rest.
Originally posted by mayo49:

This

Definitely not. We have a chance to clinch the 5th seed which would lead us to playing the shecocks in the NFC championship game. Another reason is if we clinch the 5th there is a small chance we can have one more game at the stick if it the 6th seed wins out which would be very thrilling!
Run the score WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY up and then put them in.

Like 42 -0.
I think we should just throw 30 screen passes in preparation for the playoffs
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Would you rest starters for the finale against Az? I think Seattle's gonna kick the Cards out of the stadium and the 9ers will beat Atl. We clinch wildcard and Az is pretty much out of the playoffs.

Az is going to be pissed off and just wanting to beat the 49ers up.

I think it would be wise to give the backups/role players a bit of practice and try to minimize the chance of injuries to the starters. What say you?

No, because we get #5 seed by winning out regardless. Saints or Panthers will be #6 if we finish 12-4. If we end up 11-5 then it'll bring into play all kinds of f**ked up scenarios the Niners want no part of. Winning out is the best solution.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

That doesn't work. You only have a limited number of players. And if you keep the regular inactives then you have no backups.

If a player has been playing through injury he is inactive. For someone like iupati he needs to play to knock off the rust.

I'm basically saying what you said (disagreeing with the idea of resting starters). My go for the kill comment was basically laying out the only scenario in which I see players like Colt McCoy getting extensive playing time, where we blow the guys out early. Other than that, I feel the regulars should be playing the entire game. We have a 5th seed to clinch.
Share 49ersWebzone