LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

All Respect For Lowell Cohn Is Lost (UPDATED)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • nooj
  • Veteran
what a douche
I think if we can't get a stadium in the bay area the Yorks will legitimately look at LA. I don't agree with Cohn's "we're being bullied" talk though.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Press Democrat just lost even more respect in my book.

You lose Maiocco, and sub him with Phil Barber (who is basically 50% of Maiocco right now), and you have your color analysis by a guy who has a personal distaste for current ownership.
  • hmbniner
  • Info N/A
What a tool for Newsom and the idiot Supes. It is their fault that this is even being discussed.
[ Edited by hmbniner on May 30, 2010 at 7:55 AM ]
notice how his blogs are all in size 50 font so he can read the drivel he is making up?
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Here's the real story from the guy who actually did the interview that Cohn has chosen to twist:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/29/10/Maiocco-49ers-of-LA-No-Way/landing.html?full_args=05/29/10/Maiocco-49ers-of-LA-No-Way/landing&blockID=243731&feedID=5936

What does Matt say?

"Niners president and CEO Jed York never said "L.A." or "Los Angeles" when I interviewed him this week. I said it for him. And he answered. He said the 49ers have not discussed a move out of the Bay Area. But, he noted, the best way for the 49ers to be guaranteed a permanent home here is to win the ballot measure in Santa Clara on June 8."

Cohn has chosen to take that very measured statement and twist it into the basis for a rant. Look, we already know where Cohn stands. He's made it abundantly clear that he wants a 49er stadium in San Francisco. You know what? So do I. But that ship sailed a long time ago. San Francisco blew it. Mayor Willie Brown did everything in his power to get a stadium deal done in SF, but the city council and the special interest groups shot him down.

As the Santa Clara deal gets closer to becoming a reality, voices in San Francisco are becoming more strident. SF's posture up 'til now has been "Don't worry. They'll be back." Now people like Cohn realize that the 49ers really do have other options... and they're freaking out. By labeling the Yorks as "low level thugs," and twisting a neutral statement into "bullying" and "threats," Cohn is trying to shift the blame away from where it belongs: the city of San Francisco and the political leaders who gave nothing but cold comfort to a team that brought them five championships.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
That dude has never written anything even semi interesting or insightful, and now he comes out with this? What a f**king loser.
Originally posted by cools:
Worst piece of Journalism ive seen from a local writer in many years

He obviously has not been paying attention for awhile

Perfect example of a reporter taking a quote, and trying to tell us what it "really" means, and he was way off base

I doubt his buddy Matt M. is too happy about that article either
I'd love to see Matt blast him for it

He should be fired, not cause he wrote an anti-Niner article
But for trying to influence the Voters to vote a certain way by making false accusations

I think this is the reason MM wrote an article dismissing L.A. as a possiblity.... there are a couple articles about York using L.A. as "bait," based on MM's interview with York. Those writers know this topic causes a stir, and they hop all over it.

The fact that you had respect for Cohn, makes me lose all respect for you.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Here's the real story from the guy who actually did the interview that Cohn has chosen to twist:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/29/10/Maiocco-49ers-of-LA-No-Way/landing.html?full_args=05/29/10/Maiocco-49ers-of-LA-No-Way/landing&blockID=243731&feedID=5936

What does Matt say?

"Niners president and CEO Jed York never said "L.A." or "Los Angeles" when I interviewed him this week. I said it for him. And he answered. He said the 49ers have not discussed a move out of the Bay Area. But, he noted, the best way for the 49ers to be guaranteed a permanent home here is to win the ballot measure in Santa Clara on June 8."

Cohn has chosen to take that very measured statement and twist it into the basis for a rant. Look, we already know where Cohn stands. He's made it abundantly clear that he wants a 49er stadium in San Francisco. You know what? So do I. But that ship sailed a long time ago. San Francisco blew it. Mayor Willie Brown did everything in his power to get a stadium deal done in SF, but the city council and the special interest groups shot him down.

As the Santa Clara deal gets closer to becoming a reality, voices in San Francisco are becoming more strident. SF's posture up 'til now has been "Don't worry. They'll be back." Now people like Cohn realize that the 49ers really do have other options... and they're freaking out. By labeling the Yorks as "low level thugs," and twisting a neutral statement into "bullying" and "threats," Cohn is trying to shift the blame away from where it belongs: the city of San Francisco and the political leaders who gave nothing but cold comfort to a team that brought them five championships.

It's this type of writing that really sets Matt Maiocco apart from every other journalist in the Bay Area.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
That dude has never written anything even semi interesting or insightful, and now he comes out with this? What a f**king loser.

+1
Cohn is a hack. Not even a first year journalism student would mangle a quote that badly. If I were his editor (and I've been a newspaper editor) I'd take him off of sports and let him write obituaries for a while until he remembered how to get his facts straight.

If you want people to vote against the 49ers stadium don't twist York's words to suit your own agenda.

It's crap like this why people HATE the media.
  • carl
  • Veteran
Well, he's still held in higher regard than the old 365 articles... wow, those were horrendous. But, he certainly did a horrible job of sensationalizing a non declaration.
Share 49ersWebzone