LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Start Ted Ginn over Josh Morgan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
not this year, i think morgan and crabtree on the outside and ginn in the slot... will work best but im no pro just my opinion lol
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Ted Ginn adds dynamic speed to the offense. World Class Elite speed we have never had on the outside. Though he didnt post big numbers in Miami I wouldnt read much into it, they are not a downfield passing team at all. There are no excuse for his drops though. Very acomplished college reciever and dynamic playmaker still very young. Though 9 was a bit of a reach to be drafted he was still a definate first round talent.

I like Josh and think he has great potential. He's solid, but i belive he was a bit of a disapointment his first full year as a starter. A bonus with him is they has him learning all 3 reciever spots last year so he can line up anywhere. By no means he's a lock to start opposite Crabtree.

When all said an done with I truly belive Ginn is going to wind up starter. He's coming revitalized with a fresh start, and I belive his big play potential is going to be to strong to keep off the field.

Before I get ripped let me say i think Josh Morgan is a good player and is going to continue to get better and love having him on this team. I just think Ginn is ready to take off.

Anybody remember Renaldo ("Skeets") Nehemiah?
  • kkweb
  • Veteran
Ginn would have to do a lot to supplant Morgan's spot at this point. While he has the tools to be a very good receiver, he hasn't shown them yet. He will have to overcome the knocks on him that he had in Miami, inconsistent hands, not being physical enough, etc.. Morgan may not be the most dynamic receiver, but the Niners value his run-blocking abilities and unless Ginn can be better than Morgan in that department, I don't see how he can overtake Morgan especially not this year.
Originally posted by CSRKing21:
If he out performs Morgan then yes he should start over. But he shouldnt be given the spot

How about he is given a chance to perform, and not be some annointed as some kind of training camp Messiah by Jerry Sullivan like Taylor Jacobs and Bryan Gilmore?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
If he out performs Morgan then yes he should start over. But he shouldnt be given the spot

How about he is given a chance to perform, and not be some annointed as some kind of training camp Messiah by Jerry Sullivan like Taylor Jacobs and Bryan Gilmore?

I didn't know the WR's coach trumped the OC and HC. Sully may lobby for a player but the ultimate decision is made by the guys with more power.

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Psinex:

I didn't know the WR's coach trumped the OC and HC. Sully may lobby for a player but the ultimate decision is made by the guys with more power.

Originally posted by Negrodamus:
effing dumb idea

I bet Ginn's numbers wernt far off Morgans and he was benched for a quarter of the seaon.

You do realize that stats are incredibly easy to find....

Ginn
2009 Miami Dolphins 38 catches 454 yards 1 TD
2008 Miami Dolphins 56 catches 790 yards 2 TD
2007 Miami Dolphins 34 catches 420 yards 2 TD

Morgan
2009 San Francisco 49ers 52 catches 527 yards 3 TD
2008 San Francisco 49ers 20 catches 319 yards 3 TD

Given that Ginn was used as the number 1 WR in the Miami offense for two years, his numbers aren't nearly as good as Morgan's in his one year as the number 2 guy. I think Ginn should get plenty of opportunities as he has the speed to stretch the field, but Ginn and Morgan are two completely different types of wr's. Morgan is a possession wr and much more of a threat in the redzone. Ginn is a speed wr, who is best used in stretching the field (a perfect compliment to the run game).

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on May 8, 2010 at 13:52:58 ]
  • BIG47BULL
  • Info N/A
Ginn will obviously be one of the return guys.. but he still needs to prove his ability to be a complete receiver.. Morgan will start again this year.. but I can guarantee that the more weapons u put on the field at once .. the better chance we have ..

no
  • Tankian52
  • Info N/A
if his hands are good in TC then id give him a shot, but have a short leash. Not a big Morgan fan

I don't think Ginn Jr is going to take Morgan's spot. I think they'll bring him in in different situations. The coaching staff is will make the best decision for the team. I just want the best receiving corp out there and don't care who they end up being. I like all our guys and think they're all able to get the Job done.
While I support Mr.Ginn he did have some "catching" issues for the Finns...The first time Ginn gets behind the secondary and has the ball "clank" off his hands, everyone will be yelling for his head...But every one drops sometime's, but that dosen't matter cause it ain't happened yet. I do hope for the best
Originally posted by WestCoast:

no

This did not give me a vote of confidence for him.
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
let training camp decide.

... and not just at wide receiver. This will be the most competitive, and hopefully interesting, camp in years. We may well see surprises at more than one position.
Originally posted by BobS:
Ted Ginn adds dynamic speed to the offense. World Class Elite speed we have never had on the outside. Though he didnt post big numbers in Miami I wouldnt read much into it, they are not a downfield passing team at all. There are no excuse for his drops though. Very acomplished college reciever and dynamic playmaker still very young. Though 9 was a bit of a reach to be drafted he was still a definate first round talent.

I like Josh and think he has great potential. He's solid, but i belive he was a bit of a disapointment his first full year as a starter. A bonus with him is they has him learning all 3 reciever spots last year so he can line up anywhere. By no means he's a lock to start opposite Crabtree.

When all said an done with I truly belive Ginn is going to wind up starter. He's coming revitalized with a fresh start, and I belive his big play potential is going to be to strong to keep off the field.

Before I get ripped let me say i think Josh Morgan is a good player and is going to continue to get better and love having him on this team. I just think Ginn is ready to take off.

Anybody remember Renaldo ("Skeets") Nehemiah?

Nehemiah was personally recruited to the niners by Dwight Clark at a skills competition. It was not Walsh's first interest in a "track guy" with James Owens and Michael Carter before him.
Share 49ersWebzone