LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 181 users in the forums

Start Ted Ginn over Josh Morgan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It seems to me that Ginn in the slot, running down the field on go routes is the best thing he can do for the offense.

If the team moves to a singleback base set (between teh 20's) with Ginn in the slot, it makes the defense think twice about moving a safety into the box and leaving Ginn or Crabs with single coverage.

Obviously, we would want to bring a FB onto the field when in the Red Zone, but Ginn can still be a valuable part of the offense if he keeps defenses honest.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ginn should be the number 3 WR and thats it

Is that so? At this point Ginn is the most accomplished reciever on the team. He has prduced more yards and TD's than any other reciever on the team and thus despite his previous problems, he must be considered a legitimate starting option.

1600 Yards and 5 TD's over three years is hardly accomplished. And by the way Morgan has 6 career touchdowns in two years and Ginn has 5 in three. Stick him in the slot on 3rd downs at this point until he can prove he's an every down player.

FFor that matter, no one on the team is really accomplsihed. But he is the MOST accomplished. I certainly subscribe to the thought of may the best man win and am simply pointing out that we can not discount him as a possible starter. Its not like Morgan strikes fear in defenses and Ginn does offer certain big play abilities that could make him better suited for deep plays; YAC reverses and screens. Now, the big question is if he will live upto those abililities now that he a 49er. If he does, I believe that everyone on here will be pretty damn happy. Its a low risk-possible high return situation.

hmmm reading that just made me think of something... Wes Welker. What did he do in Miami? Single back, 3 wr. Ginn in the slot running a bubble screen behind Morgan and Vernon... I don't know if he'll start or not, but I think he will improve our offensive production.

OK. I looked it up... Welker's first 3 years (split time his first year with SD and Mia - I forgot he was drafted by the Chargers) he had 96 rec for 1121 yards and 1 TD. His first year in NE - 112 rec 1175 yards and 8 rec. Lets hope for that

The difference is Welker isn't afraid to go over the middle and Ginn is afraid of contact. Unless he changes his ways he's going to continue to drop passes in traffic.

Jesus Christ, let the guy play one down for us before you make all these judgments about him. People are capable of changing.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ginn should be the number 3 WR and thats it

Is that so? At this point Ginn is the most accomplished reciever on the team. He has prduced more yards and TD's than any other reciever on the team and thus despite his previous problems, he must be considered a legitimate starting option.

1600 Yards and 5 TD's over three years is hardly accomplished. And by the way Morgan has 6 career touchdowns in two years and Ginn has 5 in three. Stick him in the slot on 3rd downs at this point until he can prove he's an every down player.

FFor that matter, no one on the team is really accomplsihed. But he is the MOST accomplished. I certainly subscribe to the thought of may the best man win and am simply pointing out that we can not discount him as a possible starter. Its not like Morgan strikes fear in defenses and Ginn does offer certain big play abilities that could make him better suited for deep plays; YAC reverses and screens. Now, the big question is if he will live upto those abililities now that he a 49er. If he does, I believe that everyone on here will be pretty damn happy. Its a low risk-possible high return situation.

hmmm reading that just made me think of something... Wes Welker. What did he do in Miami? Single back, 3 wr. Ginn in the slot running a bubble screen behind Morgan and Vernon... I don't know if he'll start or not, but I think he will improve our offensive production.

OK. I looked it up... Welker's first 3 years (split time his first year with SD and Mia - I forgot he was drafted by the Chargers) he had 96 rec for 1121 yards and 1 TD. His first year in NE - 112 rec 1175 yards and 8 rec. Lets hope for that

The difference is Welker isn't afraid to go over the middle and Ginn is afraid of contact. Unless he changes his ways he's going to continue to drop passes in traffic.

Jesus Christ, let the guy play one down for us before you make all these judgments about him. People are capable of changing.

That's what he said

I was disappointed in Morgan last year, especially after all the great stuff we were hearing about him in TC. But good receivers often break out in their third year so I'd say keep Morgan as the starter and see if or how much he improves. Also I think Ginn could be really effective in the slot and with our improved blocking up front, that should enable us to use more 3WR sets (assuming that our line's blocking will be improved).
Starting Ginn over Morgan makes little sense. Ginn was signed as a KR/PR and maybe might see some time as a WR, probably Slot WR. But to put him ahead of Morgan isn't a good idea. Morgan and Crabtree are bigger possession WRs who will be expected to run block on many occasions. Ginn doesn't have the size and may not be an effective blocker. Instead, he should compete w/ Hill for Slot WR while B. Jones is back up for either Crabtree or Morgan (X or Z, can't remember).
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Starting Ginn over Morgan makes little sense. Ginn was signed as a KR/PR and maybe might see some time as a WR, probably Slot WR. But to put him ahead of Morgan isn't a good idea. Morgan and Crabtree are bigger possession WRs who will be expected to run block on many occasions. Ginn doesn't have the size and may not be an effective blocker. Instead, he should compete w/ Hill for Slot WR while B. Jones is back up for either Crabtree or Morgan (X or Z, can't remember).

It makes a lot of sense actually. We haven't had a 1000 yard receiver in god knows how long. Having two similarly-sized, low octane receivers means they will only get open with shifty route running. Putting Ginn out there means he will be able to simply beat his man with flat out speed, something we haven't had in a long time. Almost all of our receivers, apart from Vernon, get caught from behind even if they have a five yard lead. Morgan rarely gets open, and it showed in the first half of the season, when we had absolutely no passing game before Crabtree signed.
Originally posted by Karma:
Ginn excels at deep post or go routes, but he is still not the all-around receiver Morgan is becoming. No, Morgan won't have 80+ receptions, but he is strong enough to go over the middle and he is one of the best blocking WRs in the game. His blocking alone puts him ahead of Ginn on the depth chart. Ginn will definitely see the field, but Morgan is a much better compliment to Crabtree at this point.

I second everything (especially the emphasized) but the blocking, just because I don't think I've seen enough of Morgan blocking to have an opinion, but I'll take your word for it.
If they want a starter over morgan sign Owens, keep Ginn as a backup/#3/KR
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
Um.....what did Morgan (or any other receiver on the team with the possible exception of Crabtree) ever done to be guaranteed a starting spot? I like him, hope he is awesome, etc etc, but let's face it: he has never put up big numbers. That said, Ginn appears to be a fast guy who can't/won't catch a football, but if he suddenly loses the dropsies and his fear of contact why WOULDN'T we start him? Having a guy with his speed opposite the shifty, sure handed but NOT fast Crabtree would be ideal. Pairing Morgan with Crabtree isn't terrible, but it puts 2 similarly styled receivers out there at the same time. Now, maybe that is what we need with Alex at the helm at QB--guys with hands like stickem' that make up for his lack of accuracy (remember some of those catches by Crabtree last year? the one against AZ?? ALL him)...we shall see. I am rooting for a revival for Ginn and the continued developoment of Smith and all of our receivers so we can whoop some ass!!

Crabtree had 7 drops (1 drop for every 6.86 catches) in 11 games last year... 2 less than Ginn (1 drop for every 4.2 catches - OUCH!) had in 16. Dropped passes seriously have me concerned. VD had 11 (1 drop for every 7.1 catches) which was tied for the most drops in the league.

Alex Smith is gonna be playing under a huge microscope... and he is going to be looking for someone to make plays for him... er, I mean make CATCHES. I think whoever consistently shows the ability to catch the ball is going to quickly become his favorite target. There were a lot of drops out there last year.

Last year:
Morgan - 81 targets, 52 rec (64.2%) 2 drops
Crabtree - 86 targets, 48 rec (55.8%) 7 drops
Ginn - 78 targets, 38 rec (48.7%) 9 drops
Davis - 129 targets, 78 rec (60%) 11 drops
Hill - 17 targets 9 rec (52.9%) 0 drops
Bruce - 49 targets 21 rec (42.9%) 3 drops
Walker - 31 targets 19 rec (61.2%) (didn't find drops stat)
Gore - didn't find target or drop stats for Gore.
Ginn is project supported on garbage funds. Whoever decided to give him a chance should be let go - with him.

Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by eric90clark:

Definitely Tedd Ginn lol

Wow Morgan is slow.

Why? Cause a 200 pnd DB closed a 5 yard gap with a 220 pnd receiver after 60 yards... that's what is supposed to happen.

No, morgan didnt run hard that whole time.
See how hard gore is trying to run? morgan didn't put out the same effort, its like he thought he had it in the bag.

Problem is, if it were Ginn instead of Morgan, he wouldn't have broken the tackle and it would've been an 8 yard gain instead of 61. Also, Morgan was pumping, he just has a longer stride than Gore and when he slowed up a notch to cut in it's because he was looking over at the safety trying to break his angle and didn't realize the db behind him was so near.

No he's just slow and got run down like he always does.
Probably won't happen because Morgan is a good blocker, Ginn Is not. Sing wants blockers.
why not play all 3? put ginn in the slot and have him run go routes all day! it'll pull the safety up high so davis, and crabtree can catch unders!
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Wait a second. I thought the Great Jason Hill was going to be the starter.

Sorry.

I doubt that Ginn will supplant Morgan as the starter. The team seems very happy with Morgan's overall game, and blocking is one element that will probably keep him as the starter.

That being said, the Niners may have tipped their hand that this 2010 offense will see a LOT more 3 WR sets, and a LOT fewer 2 TE sets. We'll have to see. Ginn and Davis can stretch the defense, allowing Crabtree to break across the middle, and Gore to have room in the flats. The pieces are starting to come into place.

Although he could be a salary cap training camp casualty, I still wouldn't discount Brandon Jones at this point. He is a guy who could come in and compete. He's got the tools, but his injury last season derailed his chance to make an impact. Curious to see how he performs in camp.

Hill barely made the squad last season. He's got to be very careful, or the end could be near, especially if the team likes Williams' ability in the slot and in PR duties.

So whats your depth chart? Crabs, Morgan, Ginn, Jones, then... Williams? I could live with that... and Im just happy there is finally quality competition at the position.

Jones is probably going to have to get into the mix as the number 3 WR to keep a roster spot. Otherwise, he's simply making too much money to be a 4 or 5.

Right now, it looks like Crabtree-Morgan-Ginn-Jones or Hill- Williams
The problem I have with Morgan is he's a possession receiver. 10.1 yards per catch last season. He's Arnaz Battle part 2. You start him with Crabtree and you got the slowest receiving core in football. My personal opinion but I think we're better off with Ginn because he'll leave more room for Davis and Crabtree to operate. Build like the Saints. The Saints stuck with Devery Hendersen even though he was essentially Ted Ginn his first 3 seasons in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone