There are 158 users in the forums

Start Ted Ginn over Josh Morgan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
start ted ginn? wtf are some people smoking around here.
Josh Morgan is like Arnaz Battle 2.0. Fine for a role playing receiver, but will never be a big time receiver like Steve Smith. Frankly I hated having Arnaz Battle as one of our starting receivers. Receivers should be able to get separation and catch passes on the outside. I think I saw that maybe once or twice from Morgan all season. He's a slug...we already have VD and TE's blocking on rushes.

Basically, if I'm an opposing team, Crabtree and Ginn sounds a lot more scary than Crabtree and Morgan. Along with Vernon, of course.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Ginn should be the number 3 WR and thats it

Is that so? At this point Ginn is the most accomplished reciever on the team. He has prduced more yards and TD's than any other reciever on the team and thus despite his previous problems, he must be considered a legitimate starting option.

1600 Yards and 5 TD's over three years is hardly accomplished. And by the way Morgan has 6 career touchdowns in two years and Ginn has 5 in three. Stick him in the slot on 3rd downs at this point until he can prove he's an every down player.
Wait a second. I thought the Great Jason Hill was going to be the starter.

Sorry.

I doubt that Ginn will supplant Morgan as the starter. The team seems very happy with Morgan's overall game, and blocking is one element that will probably keep him as the starter.

That being said, the Niners may have tipped their hand that this 2010 offense will see a LOT more 3 WR sets, and a LOT fewer 2 TE sets. We'll have to see. Ginn and Davis can stretch the defense, allowing Crabtree to break across the middle, and Gore to have room in the flats. The pieces are starting to come into place.

Although he could be a salary cap training camp casualty, I still wouldn't discount Brandon Jones at this point. He is a guy who could come in and compete. He's got the tools, but his injury last season derailed his chance to make an impact. Curious to see how he performs in camp.

Hill barely made the squad last season. He's got to be very careful, or the end could be near, especially if the team likes Williams' ability in the slot and in PR duties.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 6, 2010 at 08:04:49 ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think Ginn needs to show the staff and the fans that he can handle the slot position first. You gotta remember, Ginn dropped a lot of balls when he was in Miami, he has yet to make up for that, and I don't think a little mini-camp proved hes worthy yet.

Yeah, K and I usually dont see eye to eye, but i have agree with him on this one. Yes we picked him up, but isn't it a little premature to get him to replace someone already. I mean yes he brings speed to the offense, but i'd rather have him as the slot more, to take some of the defenders off of Crabs, MOrgan, and VD. He could be a great decoy, and then when the opposing defense thinks we are just using him to spread the field, then we actually throw a couple passes his way, once the defense is on their heels.

Win, win in my opinion, but i think he's ok as the 3rd for now, at least until TC.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Wait a second. I thought the Great Jason Hill was going to be the starter.

Sorry.

I doubt that Ginn will supplant Morgan as the starter. The team seems very happy with Morgan's overall game, and blocking is one element that will probably keep him as the starter.

That being said, the Niners may have tipped their hand that this 2010 offense will see a LOT more 3 WR sets, and a LOT fewer 2 TE sets. We'll have to see. Ginn and Davis can stretch the defense, allowing Crabtree to break across the middle, and Gore to have room in the flats. The pieces are starting to come into place.

Although he could be a salary cap training camp casualty, I still wouldn't discount Brandon Jones at this point. He is a guy who could come in and compete. He's got the tools, but his injury last season derailed his chance to make an impact. Curious to see how he performs in camp.

Hill barely made the squad last season. He's got to be very careful, or the end could be near, especially if the team likes Williams' ability in the slot and in PR duties.

So whats your depth chart? Crabs, Morgan, Ginn, Jones, then... Williams? I could live with that... and Im just happy there is finally quality competition at the position.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:

Is that so? At this point Ginn is the most accomplished reciever on the team. He has prduced more yards and TD's than any other reciever on the team and thus despite his previous problems, he must be considered a legitimate starting option.

1600 Yards and 5 TD's over three years is hardly accomplished. And by the way Morgan has 6 career touchdowns in two years and Ginn has 5 in three. Stick him in the slot on 3rd downs at this point until he can prove he's an every down player.

FFor that matter, no one on the team is really accomplsihed. But he is the MOST accomplished. I certainly subscribe to the thought of may the best man win and am simply pointing out that we can not discount him as a possible starter. Its not like Morgan strikes fear in defenses and Ginn does offer certain big play abilities that could make him better suited for deep plays; YAC reverses and screens. Now, the big question is if he will live upto those abililities now that he a 49er. If he does, I believe that everyone on here will be pretty damn happy. Its a low risk-possible high return situation.
I don't get the love affair with Morgan. He showed just enough his rookie year to tantalize the coaches and fans, but has really done nothing since to fulfill that initial promise. He seems slow, has had his share of drops and his main claim to fame, so far, has been his blocking ability (which explains why Sing likes him). Ginn, on the other hand, has speed; that's it. The drops of very catchable balls and aversion to contact are troubling. One of these guys, and that includes Hill and Jones, has to earn the job in camp and preseason. And don't be surprised if it's Jones. He really hasn't had a chance yet. Of all the receivers last year, he was most impressive in camp and if it weren't for his injury, may have been the incumbent. Trouble is, Sing seeems to place injured players in the doghouse. Let's let it play out and may the best man win.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran

FFor that matter, no one on the team is really accomplsihed. But he is the MOST accomplished. I certainly subscribe to the thought of may the best man win and am simply pointing out that we can not discount him as a possible starter. Its not like Morgan strikes fear in defenses and Ginn does offer certain big play abilities that could make him better suited for deep plays; YAC reverses and screens. Now, the big question is if he will live upto those abililities now that he a 49er. If he does, I believe that everyone on here will be pretty damn happy. Its a low risk-possible high return situation.

hmmm reading that just made me think of something... Wes Welker. What did he do in Miami? Single back, 3 wr. Ginn in the slot running a bubble screen behind Morgan and Vernon... I don't know if he'll start or not, but I think he will improve our offensive production.

OK. I looked it up... Welker's first 3 years (split time his first year with SD and Mia - I forgot he was drafted by the Chargers) he had 96 rec for 1121 yards and 1 TD. His first year in NE - 112 rec 1175 yards and 8 rec. Lets hope for that

[ Edited by Pick6 on May 6, 2010 at 08:31:40 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Ginn is a good slot WR for now. If we can utilize some 3 WR sets in this offense with Ginn, we'll have a more dynamic team.

Morgan---Ginn---OLine---Davis---Crabtree

Smith

Gore

Ginn has to prove himself worthy of being a #2 behind Crabs. He will have his work cut out for him with Morgan and Hill in the mix.
Um.....what did Morgan (or any other receiver on the team with the possible exception of Crabtree) ever done to be guaranteed a starting spot? I like him, hope he is awesome, etc etc, but let's face it: he has never put up big numbers. That said, Ginn appears to be a fast guy who can't/won't catch a football, but if he suddenly loses the dropsies and his fear of contact why WOULDN'T we start him? Having a guy with his speed opposite the shifty, sure handed but NOT fast Crabtree would be ideal. Pairing Morgan with Crabtree isn't terrible, but it puts 2 similarly styled receivers out there at the same time. Now, maybe that is what we need with Alex at the helm at QB--guys with hands like stickem' that make up for his lack of accuracy (remember some of those catches by Crabtree last year? the one against AZ?? ALL him)...we shall see. I am rooting for a revival for Ginn and the continued developoment of Smith and all of our receivers so we can whoop some ass!!
Originally posted by Pick6:

hmmm reading that just made me think of something... Wes Welker. What did he do in Miami? Single back, 3 wr. Ginn in the slot running a bubble screen behind Morgan and Vernon... I don't know if he'll start or not, but I think he will improve our offensive production.

OK. I looked it up... Welker's first 3 years (split time his first year with SD and Mia - I forgot he was drafted by the Chargers) he had 96 rec for 1121 yards and 1 TD. His first year in NE - 112 rec 1175 yards and 8 rec. Lets hope for that

The difference is Welker isn't afraid to go over the middle and Ginn is afraid of contact. Unless he changes his ways he's going to continue to drop passes in traffic.
TC will answer our questions on many fronts. We will see what role Raye wants for each player depending upon their skills. Crabtree has proven to be our starter and #1. Morgan brings certain skills and one of those is his blocking ability. Ginn brings speed. TC last year indicated Jones would have speed and good hands. We will see if Williams brings speed, hands, and consistency as a rookie. So there will be many things to sort out.
Originally posted by Pick6:

The difference is Welker isn't afraid to go over the middle and Ginn is afraid of contact. Unless he changes his ways he's going to continue to drop passes in traffic.

Agreed--he needs to be on the outside stretching the field--but imagine if this guy could do for us what Desean Jackson has done for Philly.....they are so similar physically. Training camp will be really interesting this year. The big question is who gets the returner jobs if Ginn starts?
Share 49ersWebzone