There are 196 users in the forums

Countdown to Santa Clara Stadium vote: Election Day!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo63:
20 days

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
20 days

G-Money
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
19 days
19 days

woooooooooooooooooo
Any latest poll numbers, news, rumblings????
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Any latest poll numbers, news, rumblings????

Nothing new, there should be something coming out the closer we get to the vote. I'll keep in eye out.
[ Edited by mayo63 on May 20, 2010 at 8:41 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Here's a story related to the stadium that just came out.

Quote:
One family, 51 votes: Campaign to build new 49ers stadium divides big Santa Clara family
By Lisa Fernandez

[email protected]

Posted: 05/19/2010 05:59:09 PM PDT
Updated: 05/19/2010 10:14:46 PM PDT

Hot Read blog from beat writer Dan Brown
Forum
They crammed onto couches, munching on pizza and Filipino spring rolls. Some lined the living room, watching the kids run wild. An overflow crowd hung out in the kitchen, craning to listen in on the debate that's captivating so many Santa Clara families these days: Should their city team up with the 49ers to build a $937 million football stadium?

Meet the Esposo family. All 15 households of them.

With 51 votes at stake in this one extended family, City Council members from both campaigns recently brought their soapboxes to Cousin Heather's home to tangle over Santa Clara's biggest ballot measure ever.

Let's just say the close-knit Esposo brood is divided by the question on the June 8 ballot. It's a dilemma repeated across this city of 46,000 voters. Despite the big money being spent, the political battle over Measure J is playing out from street to street, neighbor to neighbor, family to family, and in the Esposos' case, generation to generation, living room to living room.

"At first, we had this emotional tug. We love the 49ers. And we thought, wouldn't it be great to have the Super Bowl in our backyard?" said Esmeraldo Esposo Jr., 45, a real estate broker enticed by what he described as tripling property values near AT&T Park in San Francisco after the Giants built their ballpark. "But then some of us started questioning the logistics. What about parking on game days? We wanted to know if we could maybe form a gated community. What about litter? And who's going to pay for all this?"

The sprawling Esposo family all live within a few blocks of each other in the Fairway Glen neighborhood, two miles from where the stadium would be built near Great America theme park. On a windless day, you just might hear the shrieks from the thrill rides. Two brothers, the family patriarchs, chose this Santa Clara neighborhood for its sunshine and suburban way of life when they left the Philippines 40 years ago.

The family debates the pros and cons of the stadium almost daily. So do many others in Santa Clara. "Yes" and "No" signs are plastered on lawns; usually three or four yeses to every no. Discussions percolate at coffee shops, laundromats, and at the many house parties or "neighborhood chats" sponsored by both camps.

Sometimes the debates crop up at kitchen tables. Like the doozy over waffles and fried rice at Esmeraldo Esposo Jr.'s house on Mother's Day.

"I think more of the nos in our family came to Mother's Day," he said. "But the yeses were like, it's inevitable, just get with the program."

People started joking about messing with each others' Measure J signs. Voices were raised.

"Mother's Day was hot," he said.

A Mercury News/KGO-TV poll conducted last month by San Jose State found that 52 percent of likely voters say they'll vote yes on the stadium, 36 will vote no and 11 percent were undecided.

The Esposo family members figure they mirror the stats. Take the family's eldest, Hipolito Esposo, who is 89. He loves sports and says they should build a stadium here. Even though he spends most weekends watching games on TV, he argues it's too unsafe for old people like him to drive all the way to San Francisco.

His 70-something sister-in-law, Antonina, also is for the stadium.

"I vote yes," she said in her thick Filipino accent. "I'm pro business."

The Esposos do defy the poll's findings in at least one way. In the poll, younger voters tended to be more supportive of the stadium than older voters. But it's the Esposo elders who want pro football nearby. They envision going to games regularly if the 49ers play in town, and hope new shops would sprout up alongside the stadium.

"Older people have wisdom," Antonina Esposo said with a smile.

It's the younger generation of Esposos, born and raised in Santa Clara, who are wary of the traffic they fear will clog their streets on game days. And they worry about how many unknown "extras" taxpayers may have to pick up beyond the $114 million public contribution spelled out in the deal. They're concerned that if the Oakland Raiders end up sharing the stadium, hard-core fans from the Raider Nation may disturb their idyllic way of life.

"I want my neighborhood to remain pristine," said Lowell Esposo, 35, a construction project manager. "The previous three generations of my family had it quiet. I want to make sure the fourth generation has it like that, too."

Being civically engaged is something they say their family patriarchs instilled in them, as the normal course of being caring and community-minded Catholics.

Now, as it comes down to the wire, the family is busy sorting through the facts to figure out if a 49ers stadium would be a good thing for their city. But most of all, will it be good for their family?

They're still chewing over what they heard April 24 at the Measure J house party at Cousin Heather's. That's when Councilmen Jamie Matthews and Kevin Moore dropped by to give their pro-stadium pitch, and Councilwoman Jamie McLeod and stadium critic Bill Bailey argued against it.

"People are changing their minds every day," said 24-year-old Heather Narciso, who is leaning toward no. "I feel like this is a huge issue in Santa Clara. And I feel like my family and the people in my neighborhood will be impacted the most. I'm glad that we get to vote."

Contact Lisa Fernandez at 408-920-5002
[ Edited by mayo63 on May 20, 2010 at 9:08 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
18 days
If you get home and have an hour and a half to watch a good sports documentary, check this out.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=141517&highlight=sonicsgate

It has to do with new Stadiums too, actually what could happen if we don't get one.
18 days

woooooooooooooooooo

• STAYinSFO
  • Info N/A
VOTE No on Measure J ... and if you are a TRUE 49er fan, you would not want it either! The stadium experience that the Yorks have up their sleeve sucks! There will be NO dedicated parking ... HOURS of traffic ... lots of bozo cops trying to figure out what to do ... gridlock ... tailgating in jeopardy ... Personal Seat Licenses!! ... and share the new stadium with the RAIDERS!!

The whole plan is only good for the Yorks ... they don't give a hoot about the fans! They just want to get richer and don't care if we have a good time or not.

VOTE NO on J and send the whole thing back for a REAL PLAN!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
17 days
Originally posted by STAYinSFO:
VOTE No on Measure J ... and if you are a TRUE 49er fan, you would not want it either! The stadium experience that the Yorks have up their sleeve sucks! There will be NO dedicated parking ... HOURS of traffic ... lots of bozo cops trying to figure out what to do ... gridlock ... tailgating in jeopardy ... Personal Seat Licenses!! ... and share the new stadium with the RAIDERS!!

The whole plan is only good for the Yorks ... they don't give a hoot about the fans! They just want to get richer and don't care if we have a good time or not.

Who the heck are you?

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by STAYinSFO:

Who the heck are you?

-9fA

Vote Yes, Vote No. Just Vote. Get true public sentiment about the proposal. Not just some small percentage.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Your a mess if you don't vote yes.
Share 49ersWebzone