There are 170 users in the forums

No more excuses for Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
As much as anything, these picks tonight say that the 49er front office, as well as the coaching staff, believe Alex Smith has the ability, and now the tools, to take this team to the playoffs.

If there had been ANY doubt in the minds of the coaching staff that Smith could be the guy, they would have picked Jimmy Clausen at 17 instead of Iupati.

Think about it.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
As much as anything, these picks tonight say that the 49er front office, as well as the coaching staff, believe Alex Smith has the ability, and now the tools, to take this team to the playoffs.

If there had been ANY doubt in the minds of the coaching staff that Smith could be the guy, they would have picked Jimmy Clausen at 17 instead of Iupati.

Think about it.

OR they might think that OL was a first round priority and they could find someone still better than Alex in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Are you kidding me? Is this a joke? There is a thread with the exact same title right above this s*itty one.
Even if smith has a breakout year no ones job in the NFL is safe. It's only as good as our options available.

For example, if Peyton f**ks the owners wife I would trade a whole draft for him if it made him a niner
He doesn't need anymore excuses, he's got what he asked for. And really a decent OL and some continuity aren't that much to ask for. I hope he makes you all look like idiots this year and I don't see why he won't.
Talk to me at the end of the 2010 season. Davis and Iupati aren't proven in the nfl. What if they combine to give up 20 sacks? Is that on Alex?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
He doesn't need anymore excuses, he's got what he asked for. And really a decent OL and some continuity aren't that much to ask for. I hope he makes you all look like idiots this year and I don't see why he won't.

He still stares down receivers, can't throw to them so they catch in stride, and cannot throw to them before they are open. He also still locks his knee when he throws, messing up his accuracy. His athleticism is WAY overrated, including his ability to run. He is evidently not good at reading defenses, or they would let him change the play at the LOS. Shall I go on? His trade value is maximum a 5th rounder, if we're lucky. What does that tell you? Did you notice that Smith's name was included in the list of recent first round QB busts by the commentators tonight? Greatness transcends who your OC is. Alex Smith just doesn't have it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Shaj:

Think about it.

OR they might think that OL was a first round priority and they could find someone still better than Alex in the 2nd or 3rd round.

That IS a possibility but I don't think so. This is not a good year for QBs other than Bradford. Just look at all the teams that needed QBs who passed on McCoy AND Clausen. I don't think a rookie second round pick is going to do better than Alex Smith.

I fully believe the 49ers are satisfied with Smith for this year and would be willing to take their chances on a deeper QB draft next year if he fails this year.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

He still stares down receivers, can't throw to them so they catch in stride, and cannot throw to them before they are open. He also still locks his knee when he throws, messing up his accuracy. His athleticism is WAY overrated, including his ability to run. He is evidently not good at reading defenses, or they would let him change the play at the LOS. Shall I go on? His trade value is maximum a 5th rounder, if we're lucky. What does that tell you? Did you notice that Smith's name was included in the list of recent first round QB busts by the commentators tonight? Greatness transcends who your OC is. Alex Smith just doesn't have it.

Yeah, his inability to lead recievers and staring guys down is really how he helped Vernon get 10 of his 13 touchdowns last year. His athleticism helped decrease the sacks we had last year. And he went threw his progressions pretty well at times last year, and did a good job finding the hot reads/better job than Hill did.

Just give him a f**king chance now that he has everything he needs rather than whining for a b***hy diva QB like Clausen.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Think about it.

That IS a possibility but I don't think so. This is not a good year for QBs other than Bradford. Just look at all the teams that needed QBs who passed on McCoy AND Clausen. I don't think a rookie second round pick is going to do better than Alex Smith.

I fully believe the 49ers are satisfied with Smith for this year and would be willing to take their chances on a deeper QB draft next year if he fails this year.

very possible. I didn't know that next year's draft is deeper in QB's, that's reassuring. I still think the niners brass are satisfied with Smith the same way my wife is satisfied with having a period every month. There's not much she can do about it at the moment.

With this team.. Arguably the best TE in the game in Vernon Davis, a STAR WR in Crabtree, and YES the guy is a star.. Frank Gore pounding the rock, and decent supporting cast in Hill, Walker, Ginn and Jones.. ADD in the newley solidified line with Staley, Davis, Iupati, and the gang!! Alex Smith better finish the season with atleast an 85 qb rat.. 3,400yds 22td 14int 60% and thats the very least for me to be happy with Smith
[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM ]
the fact that the organization hasn't extended his contract beyond 2010 indicates they will evaluate him this coming here....and then decide.

So..regardless, this year is a make or break year for him....
he's our QB

if you watch Singletary, dude has Alex's back 200%

Alex, for your own sake of safety, you better produde.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Even if smith has a breakout year no ones job in the NFL is safe. It's only as good as our options available.

For example, if Peyton f**ks the owners wife I would trade a whole draft for him if it made him a niner

No way in hell i would make that trade.
[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:56 PM ]
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
The new guys are rookies, they will miss on somethings, and get blown up on others. It will force smith to throw a pick, and the fans will put 100% of the blame on smith.

This is exactly what we will hear if Smith fails this season (I'm not implying you would be saying it). It will STILL be the O-Line's fault because they are rookies. Then the next year it would be because they're only 2nd year players and don't have enough experience. It'll NEVER be Alex Smith's deficiencies.
Share 49ersWebzone