LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

No more excuses for Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
He gets the same OC and system for a second year.
Not competing for his job.
Now he has an OL with 3 first round picks.

If he doesn't succeed this year, then he shouldn't be playing for the 49ers.

I, for one, am really excited about this draft. Our passing and especially our running game should be significantly better this year. Assuming a reliable defense, we should be able to go deep into the playoffs.
oh come on dude..give the guy a break...

we need an OL with five 1st rounders so that Alex can break out
Agreed. After today, I don't want to hear another excuse why Alex didn't do well. It's do or die....put up or shut up.
There are always excuses for Smith. These guys are rookies. They are going to make mistakes. Smith could be in his tenth season and still make mistakes.
I dont think there are any excuses. Rooks mess up, pro-qb's mess up. NO qb is perfect all the time.

This is his last year, so lets just sit back and see what he can do. Let's not focus too much on growing pains with our rooks cuz Sing will get em right.

I just cant wait to see what he can do without missed blitz's from opposing defenses constantly. And with him not having that getting rid of the ball problem like earlier in his career, he should do pretty good.

I like what Mooch said, "I'm telling you the niners by next year will have one of the best if not the best oline in the league."
i'm pooping on this thread...while i'm pooping on this thread
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I dont think there are any excuses. Rooks mess up, pro-qb's mess up. NO qb is perfect all the time.

This is his last year, so lets just sit back and see what he can do. Let's not focus too much on growing pains with our rooks cuz Sing will get em right.

I just cant wait to see what he can do without missed blitz's from opposing defenses constantly. And with him not having that getting rid of the ball problem like earlier in his career, he should do pretty good.

I like what Mooch said, "I'm telling you the niners by next year will have one of the best if not the best oline in the league."

This is the type of draft the Mooch would have exactly done himself if he had been behind the scenes today, he was rocking the Tackle + Iupati idea for like the past month.

This draft is like a dream come true... our line was f**king trash last season. -Seriously, Baalke is the man.
Great picks! And there are other rounds to go! Some intriguing players left for the later rounds.

At first we would think this helps Smith, and it should. But, will Sing/Raye be tempted to try the god-awful smashmouth again, thinking it would work with an improved line?

Smith would once again be operating in a predictable offense, running for his life on obvious passing third downs. Just isn't what he does well.

That is the nightmare scenario. I hope the new weapons are used responsibly.
If nothing else, tonight's picks should get us out of the ubiquitous 2nd and 9 quagmire we found ourselves in last year. I don't mind a little smash mouth if it means working from 2nd and 5.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
There are always excuses for Smith. These guys are rookies. They are going to make mistakes. Smith could be in his tenth season and still make mistakes.

That's the problem.

Originally posted by sacleads:
Agreed. After today, I don't want to hear another excuse why Alex didn't do well. It's do or die....put up or shut up.

Well, we haven't seen these rooks play yet. I hope they do good, but what if they don't? And they're rookies. This is Alex's make or break year, although, saying there is no excuses cause of these two picks is dumb.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

Your right, Alex will always have excuses, he's not taking us anywhere.
Just hope we can get McCoy at 49
The new guys are rookies, they will miss on somethings, and get blown up on others. It will force smith to throw a pick, and the fans will put 100% of the blame on smith.

That being said, next year's draft should have a lot of quality Qb's....
This is the year for him, either Alex Smith takes this team to the next level or will continue to becoming the bust so many of us has labeled him. Alex got a huge vote of confidence tonight after the FO did not take a QB with the 2nd 1st rd pick. So there you have it guys, we gave Smith the OL help that he sorely needed with our 1st round chose tonight, he has the weapons at WR/TE/RB, this will be his second consecutive year with the same OC. I do hope that he will take his game to the next level, because to be honest, all the excuses that many fans give for Alex Smith has run dry. If the same story goes along with Smith after this year, he will be considered a bust and look for the Niners to be drafting a QB next year.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
We need to take a QB in the 2nd round or this improved OL will be for nothing. We have two busts and an unknown in our QB ranks. I'd like to see us trade up for Clausen. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Alex!
Share 49ersWebzone