LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 434 users in the forums

What would you want (only two scenarios)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What would you want (only two scenarios)

Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Born49R:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
A: Alex Smith has a breakout year with ridiculous stats but the Niner's go 8-8 and miss the playoffs.

B: Niners go 11-5 and make the playoffs but Alex Smith shows no signs of improvement over last year and has a mediocre season at the QB position.

This is a dumb question. Who the hell would want option A? The goal is to make the playoffs, not to make Smith look good. Chances are, though, if Smith had such a big season, we WOULD make the playoffs and would have a much better record than 8-8. But just going by your scenario, anybody wanting option A is an idiot.

Option B is realistic and will likely be exactly what happens this season (besides the 11-5 record, as we will likely be 9-7 or 10-6).

Thank you for calling me an idiot instead of disagreeing with my argument. I love it when zoners show their inability to argue logically and instead resort to name calling.

I realized that was a bit harsh and edited the post to exclude any insults before you posted. Check the times. On top of that, I didn't even read your post, so I wasn't aware you were arguing for option A. If I was, I would have called you out directly. If you want to get into a real debate, we can do that.

The two scenarios presented mention nothing of sustained success for Alex Smith if he has a monster season this year. Get that argument off the table. The question is whether you'd like to see Smith light it up and MISS THE PLAYOFFS, or actually do what we're supposed to be trying to do every year and MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. If you'd rather miss the playoffs just to see big numbers from Smith, I can do nothing but question your true status as a 49ERS FAN.

Keep in mind a monster year (numbers-wise) from any QB DOES NOT guarantee sustained success. That was not mentioned in the two scenarios, therefor it should have no bearing on this debate. What you implied was that a big year from Smith will mean we have our franchise QB, which is not true. I get your argument, it's just not a good one. Drafting later in the draft doesn't mean we won't find a franchise QB. There's also trades that can be made. On top of that, we may have what we're looking for in Nate Davis.

Ahh but logic says if Smith blows up this next year, it is highly likely that success would continue.

For the sake of argument, how many defensive teams remain yearly contenders? Now go and compare that to teams with a highly productive QB.

Just because you assumed that the scenarios presented meant only one spectacular season for Smith is your fault. Also clearly present's your bias against Smith, so your debate would be worthless, cause you have already proven to not have an open mind. You can't debate a person who already has their mind made up. Well you can, but what's the point?

You're fool if you think a big season from a QB automatically means sustained success. Ever heard of Matt Cassell? And you're seriously going to try to tell ME how I feel about Alex Smith? Get the f*ck out of here. I hope he succeeds, because the reality is a monster season from a QB with a defense like ours will all but guarantee a playoff run. BUT, the two scenarios presented do not offer room for such logic. Get it?

By the way, it's funny how whenever anyone has an open mind and is willing to accept the fact that our beloved number one overall pick has issues that need to be fixed, we get labeled Smith haters with closed minds. What a joke.

"Sure ill debate you, then i'll insult you and swear at you as a means to do so."

What ever dude. You pulled out one QB who had a big year on one of the best teams in the nfl and then not so much the next on one of the worst teams in the nfl....lol nice debate......Re-read what you posted about Cassell and then maybe rethink that as a supporting argument.

Ill go ahead and give you one. Derek Anderson I guess had a blow up year and then failed to continue to perform. Having said that though, MOST young QB's who progress to a wildly successful season continue to be highly productive throughout their careers. You can not argue that, because history proves it.

By the way I am not an Alex Smith guy, nor do I care about your allegiances. Nice assumption. I simply stated you can not debate a man who already has his mind made up, which you clearly do.

Nice little opening statement, which, of course, was supposed to be your interpretation of my post. If you're insulted by the truth, so be it. You ARE a fool if you think any sort of success translates into automatic sustained success. I gave you one name because it was the first one that came to my head. I don't care to give a number of examples because it's not even necessary. I didn't even have to give ONE example.

The fact of the matter is we're discussing two different things. You're basing your opinion on the assumption of one big year meaning continued productivity, while I'm answering the poll in it's literal form. Smith hypothetically becoming a franchise QB after the one big season was not included in the original options. You guys came up with that on your own.

I'm saying that making the playoffs is more important than Alex Smith having a big year.

By the way, if you want to talk about insulting people, think about the fact that YOU telling ME how I feel is an insult in itself.
Originally posted by BHulman:
A: Alex Smith has a breakout year with ridiculous stats but the Niner's go 8-8 and miss the playoffs.

B: Niners go 11-5 and make the playoffs but Alex Smith shows no signs of improvement over last year and has a mediocre season at the QB position.

This is a dumb question. Who the hell would want option A? The goal is to make the playoffs, not to make Smith look good. Chances are, though, if Smith had such a big season, we WOULD make the playoffs and would have a much better record than 8-8. But just going by your scenario, anybody wanting option A is an idiot.

Option B is realistic and will likely be exactly what happens this season (besides the 11-5 record, as we will likely be 9-7 or 10-6).

Thank you for calling me an idiot instead of disagreeing with my argument. I love it when zoners show their inability to argue logically and instead resort to name calling.

I realized that was a bit harsh and edited the post to exclude any insults before you posted. Check the times. On top of that, I didn't even read your post, so I wasn't aware you were arguing for option A. If I was, I would have called you out directly. If you want to get into a real debate, we can do that.

The two scenarios presented mention nothing of sustained success for Alex Smith if he has a monster season this year. Get that argument off the table. The question is whether you'd like to see Smith light it up and MISS THE PLAYOFFS, or actually do what we're supposed to be trying to do every year and MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. If you'd rather miss the playoffs just to see big numbers from Smith, I can do nothing but question your true status as a 49ERS FAN.

Keep in mind a monster year (numbers-wise) from any QB DOES NOT guarantee sustained success. That was not mentioned in the two scenarios, therefor it should have no bearing on this debate. What you implied was that a big year from Smith will mean we have our franchise QB, which is not true. I get your argument, it's just not a good one. Drafting later in the draft doesn't mean we won't find a franchise QB. There's also trades that can be made. On top of that, we may have what we're looking for in Nate Davis.

Ahh but logic says if Smith blows up this next year, it is highly likely that success would continue.

For the sake of argument, how many defensive teams remain yearly contenders? Now go and compare that to teams with a highly productive QB.

Just because you assumed that the scenarios presented meant only one spectacular season for Smith is your fault. Also clearly present's your bias against Smith, so your debate would be worthless, cause you have already proven to not have an open mind. You can't debate a person who already has their mind made up. Well you can, but what's the point?

You're fool if you think a big season from a QB automatically means sustained success. Ever heard of Matt Cassell? And you're seriously going to try to tell ME how I feel about Alex Smith? Get the f*ck out of here. I hope he succeeds, because the reality is a monster season from a QB with a defense like ours will all but guarantee a playoff run. BUT, the two scenarios presented do not offer room for such logic. Get it?

By the way, it's funny how whenever anyone has an open mind and is willing to accept the fact that our beloved number one overall pick has issues that need to be fixed, we get labeled Smith haters with closed minds. What a joke.

Argument can be made that Cassell is an example of how football is the ultimate team game. Put the Patriots around him and he looks pretty damn good. Surround him with the Chiefs and it is a different story. Cutler is another good example. Smith is about to get the best supporting cast he has ever had around him. Just as important there is finally going to be a season with some continuity. Solidify the line through the draft and there can be no excuses for lack of production with the offensive talent the Niners will put on the field next season (I really think Ginn is going to open up things for Crabtree and Davis in a major way). Before last season, this team has not had a roster that had any legitimate shot at making a real playoff run since Garcia and TO. Even if the Niners had found a way in last season it is doubtful they would have gone very far. There were a lot of issues on the 2009 squad besides QB.

Personally I think that after not playing for 2 years and not getting the first team reps in camp and then coming in after 6 games and throwing 18 touchdowns to 10 interceptions showed some promise. You don't agree: that's fine. If Alex disappoints this year that is it. But he is the starter regardless of how any of us feel. Every report you hear about Davis is that he is nowhere near ready. Maybe next year but it doesn't look like it's going to be this year. He probably has little chance of being the #2 this year.

I'd be interested: what issues does Alex need to fix in order to be able to bank on him in the future? You say he needs to fix some things which implys that there is a chance he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. If you had said that he couldn't fix those then that would suggest he has. I agree with you, Alex could definately get better at some vital things. But I admit I'm one of those "lovers" who thinks he will. But, again, I would love to hear what you think he has to fix?

Well first of all, as I said, Cassell was just the first name that came to my head. I was typing on an iPhone and didn't put much effort into my post. In actuality, no example needed to be given for the statement I made, because one successful season does not automatically mean sustained success whether I have an example to give or not. I will not argue that fact any longer. That's the point I was trying to make.

Second, you can say Alex's numbers are good given the circumstances in which they were put up. I'm talking about his overall play. We went 5-5 with him as the starter. He couldn't convert 3rd downs. He continued to make poor decisions and miss big-play opportunities. I honestly don't care if he were to have put up 25 TDs in 10 games, if he can't fix the issues I just mentioned, we will lose games and his play will not be considered "GOOD" to me.

As for the issues he has.. Let's see: poor mechanics, accuracy on intermediate-deep throws, indecisiveness, failure to properly go through receiver progressions, failure to read defensive packages, poor pocket awareness, atrocious footwork.. I can continue, but is it necessary? Most will blame it all on the offensive line, like usual. The things I mentioned, however, are an individual's deficiencies that a poor offensive line cannot take all the blame for. The line doesn't throw inaccurately, nor do they control his decisiveness, nor do they go through progressions or control a QB's mechanics & footwork etc..

Don't get me wrong (like the other guy who assumes I have made up my mind on Smith), I hope for his success because HE IS OUR GUY whether we like it or not. The things I mentioned can all be fixed. Will they? I don't know, as of last season, none of them were. Do I think he can fix the problems? Sure. The thing is, anytime I mention these issues I get labeled a "Smith Hater" with a closed-minded view. Why? I don't get it. It seems that unless I swing from the man's nuts, I'm a hater. Why can't I be a guy that wants him to be successful, but sees his faults? People around here have left no room for middle ground.

"Sure ill debate you, then i'll insult you and swear at you as a means to do so."

What ever dude. You pulled out one QB who had a big year on one of the best teams in the nfl and then not so much the next on one of the worst teams in the nfl....lol nice debate......Re-read what you posted about Cassell and then maybe rethink that as a supporting argument.

Ill go ahead and give you one. Derek Anderson I guess had a blow up year and then failed to continue to perform. Having said that though, MOST young QB's who progress to a wildly successful season continue to be highly productive throughout their careers. You can not argue that, because history proves it.

By the way I am not an Alex Smith guy, nor do I care about your allegiances. Nice assumption. I simply stated you can not debate a man who already has his mind made up, which you clearly do.

Nice little opening statement, which, of course, was supposed to be your interpretation of my post. If you're insulted by the truth, so be it. You ARE a fool if you think any sort of success translates into automatic sustained success. I gave you one name because it was the first one that came to my head. I don't care to give a number of examples because it's not even necessary. I didn't even have to give ONE example.

The fact of the matter is we're discussing two different things. You're basing your opinion on the assumption of one big year meaning continued productivity, while I'm answering the poll in it's literal form. Smith hypothetically becoming a franchise QB after the one big season was not included in the original options. You guys came up with that on your own.

I'm saying that making the playoffs is more important than Alex Smith having a big year.

By the way, if you want to talk about insulting people, think about the fact that YOU telling ME how I feel is an insult in itself.

Enjoy the warnings for the 2 personal attacks in this thread.....

As I said, your mind, which lacks any foresight at all, is already made up. Others saw it the same way I did, and you are the only one getting all hot under the collar, calling people names (quite childish considering the topic) and cursing to get your point across.

You win, ima big dummyhead! Happy?
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 18, 2010 at 7:26 AM ]
Unless our defense implodes I dont think scenario A is very likely.
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
What about "C"???

We draft Clausen and he starts midway through the season...lol

I take the C option without Clausen in it
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
A.
B.

B! but i already ummm did that.....she's been around ;)
Originally posted by JC49:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
A.
B.

B

a picture is worth a thousand words
Share 49ersWebzone