There are 174 users in the forums

If you could only re-sign Vernon Davis or Patrick Willis, who would it be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If you could only re-sign Vernon Davis or Patrick Willis, who would it be?

Someone posted this question in Barrows chat, and I thought it was pretty interesting.

For whatever the reason may be... If we could only re-sign Willis or Davis, who would you rather re-sign?

My opinion:

Davis- Willis is better, in my opinion, but it's a lot easier to get a good ILB. Getting a dynamic TE who catches and blocks is a lot harder to find. So, I think Willis is better, by far, but it's just too easy to find good ILBs.. So I'd stick with Davis.

Let the debate begin! haha

[ Edited by BurritoSmuggler on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:00:28 ]
Why? We already know we will resign both
LMAO
Willis

I can tell you dominant LB's that led their team championships tell me the tight end that led his team to a title.
Yes, getting a good ILB is easier, but getting the best ILB in the league is not. It has to be Willis.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Willis

I can tell you dominant LB's that led their team championships tell me the tight end that led his team to a title.

Shannon Sharpe!
Originally posted by Dominate:

Because you know how stupid teams get with money. Willis is THE BEST ILB in the league.. possibly the best defensive player in the league.. And VD could be considered top 2-3 in the league for TEs. After this upcoming season, could be the top TE. It is a SLIGHT possibility that we can't afford both. Especially if both contracts are up at the same time (are they? i dont remember).

I'm not saying this is a realistic possibility. I just thought it was interesting. Who would you rather keep if you HAD to chose.

Come on, guys.. It's the offseason, would you rather read another thread on Alex Smith? haha

[ Edited by BurritoSmuggler on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:14:35 ]
OK...I want to knmow who the 6% is who selected Vernon Davis. They need their head examined.

Davis was a disappointment until last year.

Willis may be the best ILB in the NFL and has made 3 Pro Bowls in 3 years and is already twice all-pro.

How is this even a contest?
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Originally posted by Dominate:

Because you know how stupid teams get with money. Willis is THE BEST ILB in the league.. possibly the best defensive player in the league.. And VD could be considered top 2-3 in the league for TEs. After this upcoming season, could be the top TE. It is a SLIGHT possibility that we can't afford both. Especially if both contracts are up at the same time (are they? i dont remember).

I'm not saying this is a realistic possibility. I just thought it was interesting. Who would you rather keep if you HAD to chose.

Come on, guys.. It's the offseason, would you rather read another thread on Alex Smith? haha

At least those threads are interesting
To the thread starter - did you really think this was going to be a close poll?
Nothing against VD, but it's unfair to put him (or anyone on the team for that matter) up against Patrick Willis!

[ Edited by Bay_Area_Fan on Apr 8, 2010 at 11:21:25 ]

Originally posted by Marvin49:
OK...I want to knmow who the 6% is who selected Vernon Davis. They need their head examined.

Willis may be the best ILB in the NFL and has made 3 Pro Bowls in 3 years and is already twice all-pro.

My rational was more of "importance to the team" than the player. Willis is un-questionably better than VD. Although, it's so easy to get a good ILB. But really hard to get a good TE. And I disagree that VD has been a disapointment up until now. He's been the best blocking TE.. And if you look at his stats.. If he was actually utilized by Martz, he would have had a breakout year last year. Difference between this year and last? TARGETS. VD is very good, get over it. haha

I just think it would be A LOT harder to find a replacement for Davis than Willis. And this is a position thing.. not a player thing. But maybe it's better to keep the BEST player, regardless of value at the position. That's what the debate is.
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

My rational was more of "importance to the team" than the player. Willis is un-questionably better than VD. Although, it's so easy to get a good ILB. But really hard to get a good TE. And I disagree that VD has been a disapointment up until now. He's been the best blocking TE.. And if you look at his stats.. If he was actually utilized by Martz, he would have had a breakout year last year. Difference between this year and last? TARGETS. VD is very good, get over it. haha

I just think it would be A LOT harder to find a replacement for Davis than Willis. And this is a position thing.. not a player thing. But maybe it's better to keep the BEST player, regardless of value at the position. That's what the debate is.

Id disagree, I think there are more quality TEs in this league compared to ILBs.
P Dub thats my dogg
plus i already invested quite a few on this dude
i got 3 of his authentic jerseys

Who would you rather f**k, Jessica Biel or Jessica Alba pre-marriage/baby?
the two of them !
Share 49ersWebzone