There are 197 users in the forums

McCloughan's fall from grace was his own doing.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
niners to speak today

that should mean by 5 o'clock eastern time something should magically "leak" out to what's really going on.

LMAO

...That theme song cracks me up
I think one thing that hurt Mac was his own stubbornness...he just couldn't break away from his "bigger is better" player philosophy. Add Singletary bringing in Mike Solari to coach the OL and you can begin to understand that was one of the first overt signs of an eventual split w/McCloughan. Solari's all about getting quicker, more agile OL who can do many things well, while Mac was about acquiring maulers. That and the overall last place grade-out of the OL were some of the factors that most likely led to him leaving the team. The fact Singletary has been so heavily involved in draft preparation also lends credence to Mac leaving. Now Trent Baalke will lead the draft, but you know he and Singletary are pretty much in synch. We're in good, perhaps better hands now going forward. I think we'll see some changes in the approach to the draft...I believe we'll see Coach/Baalke grab some playmakers on offense, defense and ST's. Some of those guys will most likely not fit the "bigger is better" philosophy Mac clung to so stubbornly...and I see that as a very good thing.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think one thing that hurt Mac was his own stubbornness...he just couldn't break away from his "bigger is better" player philosophy. Add Singletary bringing in Mike Solari to coach the OL and you can begin to understand that was one of the first overt signs of an eventual split w/McCloughan. Solari's all about getting quicker, more agile OL who can do many things well, while Mac was about acquiring maulers. That and the overall last place grade-out of the OL were some of the factors that most likely led to him leaving the team. The fact Singletary has been so heavily involved in draft preparation also lends credence to Mac leaving. Now Trent Baalke will lead the draft, but you know he and Singletary are pretty much in synch. We're in good, perhaps better hands now going forward. I think we'll see some changes in the approach to the draft...I believe we'll see Coach/Baalke grab some playmakers on offense, defense and ST's. Some of those guys will most likely not fit the "bigger is better" philosophy Mac clung to so stubbornly...and I see that as a very good thing.

Add Alex Smith to the list. Mcloughan was stubbornly trying to redeem his #1 draft pick mistake by not aggressively looking for better QB talent for the team. If he found a better QB, it would be an admission of wasting a lot of the team's money & time.
[ Edited by djfullshred on Mar 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM ]
So the Niners are finally going to speak huh? My money is still on hookers and blow.
I doubt anything ground breaking comes from this:

1. McCloughan on leave, indefinite absence
2. Baalke takes over for the interim

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I doubt anything ground breaking comes from this:

1. McCloughan on leave, indefinite absence
2. Baalke takes over for the interim

-9fA

This.
Jed York approaches the podium:

First I would like to thank Scot McCloughan for all the hard work he has put into this organization from the day he got here. However we feel that due to his own personal issues he can no longer be responsible for his General Manager duties ...

......will take over those duties and we will move forward and become a Championship team in 2010.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

First I would like to thank Scot McCloughan for all the hard work he has put into this organization from the day he got here. However we feel that due to his own personal issues he can no longer be responsible for his General Manager duties ...

......will take over those duties and we will move forward and become a Championship team in 2010.

And that pretty much wraps it up. They might as well cancel Jed's appearance and post this on the front page of their website.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

And that pretty much wraps it up. They might as well cancel Jed's appearance and post this on the front page of their website.

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Is it any clearer now?
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
One last time: McCloughan isn't/wasn't the only voice in the personnel department. Not much (if anything) will change going into the draft. Calm the hell down.

You're asking for patience, logic and reason on the zone? You must be drunk.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
One last time: McCloughan isn't/wasn't the only voice in the personnel department. Not much (if anything) will change going into the draft. Calm the hell down.

He was the GM and had final say in draft picks. So he was the voice in the personnel department.

See what I mean? Poor logic/reading comprehension.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He was the GM and had final say in draft picks. So he was the voice in the personnel department.

He was the trigger man (supposedly), not the sole voice. The opinions on players become a collaborative effort through the course of the scouting process. There are many varying opinions on a given player, which is something any decent personnel department thrives on. Ultimately, the player has to fit the scheme. Mistakes are always made, no matter who has the final say.

You lost san diego at "sole". He thinks you're talking about shoes.
I hope there aren't too many Raider or Cowboy fans privy to this site. The stupidity is shameful. If it was 1991, half of the people on this site would demand we trade steve and have bono/musgrave compete for the starting spot. Seriously. Hey, I've got an idea you guys! Let's trade all non qb's and then sign qb's to play all positions. I mean, you all seem to think that's all that matters in this TEAM sport. Oops, I probably just started a "cut alex smith" flame thread. Sorry.
Share 49ersWebzone