LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

McCloughan's fall from grace was his own doing.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
One last time: McCloughan isn't/wasn't the only voice in the personnel department. Not much (if anything) will change going into the draft. Calm the hell down.

Indicative of bigger problems though imo.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I have never, and will never, trust PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY.

RealFootball365 may be a better source for information compared to PFW...

Please. PFW's been around for 40+ years. Who knows how much of their story is accurate, but they're not a bunch of charlatans just trying to make a name for themselves.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
One last time: McCloughan isn't/wasn't the only voice in the personnel department. Not much (if anything) will change going into the draft. Calm the hell down.

He was the GM and had final say in draft picks. So he was the voice in the personnel department.

Draft wise, what did he do do in the last 2-years? I know you're gonna say Crabtree but my 13-yr old son could have made that pick at the 10 spot. Maybe the fact that he was canned so close to the draft had everything to do with his approach toward the draft. It seems to me that Sing and McCloughan were bumping heads, and differences of philosophy pertaining to drafting was the main reason. IMO

Originally posted by ObePwnD:

He was the GM and had final say in draft picks. So he was the voice in the personnel department.

Draft wise, what did he do do in the last 2-years? I know you're gonna say Crabtree but my 13-yr old son could have made that pick at the 10 spot. Maybe the fact that he was canned so close to the draft had everything to do with his approach toward the draft. It seems to me that Sing and McCloughan were bumping heads, and differences of philosophy pertaining to drafting was the main reason. IMO

He's the one who set us up with 2 first rounders this year. 2010 has to be to his credit as well.

he also gave us 17th pick picked gore got justin smith dude has done enough to be our GM shouldve at least let him finish this draft and see how it went
  • MBee
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Please. PFW's been around for 40+ years. Who knows how much of their story is accurate, but they're not a bunch of charlatans just trying to make a name for themselves.

They certainly seem to have no problem using large portions of another writer's work and yet not credit that writer or the publication for which he works.
Originally posted by MBee:

They certainly seem to have no problem using large portions of another writer's work and yet not credit that writer or the publication for which he works.

Barrows.....? That you?
that's a terrible article. Just more baseless speculation.

The line that Mike Nolan was fired under "circumstances as mysterious" as McCloughan's tells you all you need to know about the writer and the article. WTF was "mysterious" about Nolan getting fired?

This is why they are sometimes accurate, but that is no excuse for plagiarism. I do not think Scott has been as bad as some of the armchair GM's on this site claim.

He's the one who set us up with 2 first rounders this year. 2010 has to be to his credit as well.

True. I was very happy with his draft last year. We not only got Crabs, Davis and a first rounder this year, we got a good group of UDFAs.

Then the wheels fell off and we lost Sheets without any apparent effort to keep him around. Was this b/c McGloughan was "out of the loop" for awhile?

Its difficult for me to understand how the organization can be blamed for taking the steps they have taken at this time. There are not one but two qualified guys--Baalke and Gamble--available to step in and run the draft. Most if not all the work has already been done by the scouting department, leaving only the actual draft itself to complete without McGloughan, and if he was "out of the loop" at present (which appears likely), then the draft was going to be completed more or less without him anyway.

Your opinion, stated earlier in this thread, that the Yorks somehow "planned" all this is laughable and unsupported, imho. That's your frustration talking, not your common sense. No organization would deliberately plan to get rid of a top executive at a critical time unless it was absolutely necessary--and unless they had a backup plan already in place.

If you want to bash the Yorks (which seems to be your objective), then there are other areas that you could explore, but the end of the McGloughan era doesn't appear to be their fault. Claiming that it is and constantly railing against them because of it only makes your posts seem silly. IMHO.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Best article so far about the situation.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

This is why they are sometimes accurate, but that is no excuse for plagiarism. I do not think Scott has been as bad as some of the armchair GM's on this site claim.

You guys don't seem to remember the inane "rumors" that have come out of that publication during the off-season over the past 5+ years.
  • bret
  • Veteran
The most interesting part of that article was Nolan's assertion he gave Scott too much control over personnel - as if THAT was his undoing!

Get a clue Mike: your strategy was poor, your handling of the personnel was worse!!
Originally posted by WINiner:
It's just the Yorks being stupid and self destructing the team like they always do. Only the Yorks could come up with a plan to get rid of the GM 5 weeks before the draft with no replacement on hand. They could have done it at the very beginning of the offseason and may have been able to land the likes of Holmgren or Shannahan in the role if they were willing to pay for it. But they aren't willing to pay for it and everything the Yorks do is reactionary and spur of the moment with no forward planning. It's how the roll. Destroy the team and figure out the consequences later. It's how they have rolled for a decade.

You don't get it. They are not looking to bring someone from outside the organization in to replace Scott. THAT'S why it doesn't matter that he was canned 5 weeks before the draft. The Niners are going to make Baalk, Gamble, or Marathe GM and the team will continue forward with little change in the short term.

This in my opinion is not at all reactionary or spur of the moment, but a culmination of discretions that led to the change. I don't think for a moment that the management had any interest at all in GM candidates outside the team earlier this off-season. I think if anything, the team waited too long.

... and Balke it is !

True too, the team had no interest in GM candidates; but, more importantly, no GM candidates had any interest in the Niners. Why would a strong GM accept the restrictive conditions set by York?

Only a tool would do it ... and Balke it is !
Originally posted by susweel:
Best article so far about the situation.

Share 49ersWebzone