LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Niners418:
I gotta say...the constant b***hing and whining is getting really exhausting about the niners. We all know how much jed sucks....we all know paraag is a big problem. But the Kawakamis and Florios just spend every second beating it to the ground.

It reminds me a LOT about how the movie/comic book fan sites constantly have to couch DC movie news in a negative light. There's a lot of confirmation bias out there.

Here's a great video about how this cycle works and gets exaggerated by media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t6owM_4Yiw

Originally posted by Joecool:
They don't need to site sources if it could get someone fired. One thing is for sure, no matter how much it has pissed off 49ers fans, TK has been spot on a lot about the mess in the front office of the 49ers.

Yeah, I know they need to protect their sources. I just meant they should be more specific.

TBH I'm indifferent about Marathe. As far as I know, he deals with the money. If he's doing more than that and it's a detriment, then expose it and be done with it all. I just think that if reporters have a story, they should put it out there. They should print that multiple sources specifically did not want to work with Marathe because of such and such. Include some anonymous quotes. Interview unemployed executives. Media pressure lost Donald Sterling his franchise. If this story is everything these guys say it is, then it should be a slam dunk to force change.

If they aren't putting it in print, then they're just trolling - like the Joker not killing Batman because he was too fun to mess with.
[ Edited by zonkers on Jan 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM ]
Gregg Cossell is hardly a guy who speaks super positives when he evaluates but he definitely will let you know when a player or coach doesn't have it. And guess what, he has been correct on a lot of his assessments.

Cosell will highlight negatives but will always contextualize those with possible positive outcomes/reasons as well. And he'll also speak positives, but will discuss possible negative outcomes if things take a turn. That's called speaking your view but acknowledging there may be other factors not on your radar or outside your own bias. This is good analysis and practice. GC's not a journalist, but you can see the same kind of mindset at play with such journalists as the Matts - they'll criticize, but also contextualize with opposing reads on the situations.

TK shows no pattern of doing any of that. He just runs with the negatives, and often worst case scenarios. And I believe - though maybe I am wrong - it's because he just naturally sees the worst in people.
Originally posted by zonkers:
They don't need to site sources if it could get someone fired. One thing is for sure, no matter how much it has pissed off 49ers fans, TK has been spot on a lot about the mess in the front office of the 49ers.

Yeah, I know they need to protect their sources. I just meant they should be more specific.

TBH I'm indifferent about Marathe. As far as I know, he deals with the money. If he's doing more than that and it's a detriment, then expose it and be done with it all. I just think that if reporters have a story, they should put it out there. They should print that multiple sources specifically did not want to work with Marathe because of such and such. Include some anonymous quotes. Interview unemployed executives. Media pressure lost Donald Sterling his franchise. If this story is everything these guys say it is, then it should be a slam dunk to force change.

If they aren't putting it in print, then they're just trolling - like the Joker not killing Batman because he was too fun to mess with.

Reporters have already stated specific reasons why he doesn't just deal with money. There are quite a few articles that have stated this. Articles that have come from writers who have been spot on a lot about the organizations Admin.

I think it's just weird. Why would the specific role of Paraag keep being avoided? Did Jed ever say that Paraag only deals with contracts and absolutely nothing else related to football? THAT is just weird.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 18, 2017 at 1:30 PM ]
Gregg Cossell is hardly a guy who speaks super positives when he evaluates but he definitely will let you know when a player or coach doesn't have it. And guess what, he has been correct on a lot of his assessments.

Cosell will highlight negatives but will always contextualize those with possible positive outcomes/reasons as well. And he'll also speak positives, but will discuss possible negative outcomes if things take a turn. That's called speaking your view but acknowledging there may be other factors not on your radar or outside your own bias. This is good analysis and practice. GC's not a journalist, but you can see the same kind of mindset at play with such journalists as the Matts - they'll criticize, but also contextualize with opposing reads on the situations.

TK shows no pattern of doing any of that. He just runs with the negatives, and often worst case scenarios. And I believe - though maybe I am wrong - it's because he just naturally sees the worst in people.

Maybe TK feels 49ers Admin is purposefully avoiding looking bad even though they keep making bad decisions. Maybe he thinks this organization makes their employees look bad through coincidental leaks and other sneaky tactics.

I'm just saying, to discredit and be pissed off about what he writes and not actually thinking about the fact that this is coming from somewhere. He's not just pulling this out of his ass. Maybe he doesn't care about his relationship with the franchise as does some of the other reporters.

I mean, has the dude written terrible things about the Warriors or the Giants? I am sure he has but it was probably when those teams were actually making themselves look like a joke.
  • dj43
One thing I trust will come out of all these interviews with prospective GMs from successful teams is that Jed will get a clearer picture of how successful teams run their organization. You cannot talk to 6-8 people about how they run their business and how they might run yours without gaining a great deal of knowledge.

I also trust that Jed's ego has been substantially damaged by the past 3 years that he will be paying attention and make reasonable changes.

I may be proved wrong on all that but I just don't believe someone can sit and watch this train wreck for 3 years sit and listen.
Originally posted by NCommand:
And according to a report from Pro Football Talk, Marathe's involvement in the power structure is considered an "impediment" to the club in league circles.

Despite the widespread popular belief that the 49ers are currently the most dysfunctional team in football, the thinking in league circles is that, with some tweaks, the G.M. and coaching jobs could be desirable. The impediment to attracting their preferred candidates isn't owner Jed York; apparently, it's Chief Strategy Officer and EVP of Football Operations Paraag Marathe.

Marathe is, as a practical matter, the Russ Brandon of the 49ers. The only difference is that the 49ers make no secret of Marathe's influence over the football operations.

Put simply, Marathe has influence, along with the ear of ownership. He's been there for 16 years, and he has transcended the bubble of accountability in which coaches and General Managers reside. And that's precisely the kind of dynamic coaches and General Managers try to avoid.

Shanahan is embracing it because, as his final package will demonstrate, he leveraged the team's desperation to his full advantage. Moving forward, however, it's an elephant in the room that may be serving as an oversized anchor.

What a shocker fellas, not like most of us have been saying this sine 2014!! It was always this bum not JED!
I'm just saying, to discredit and be pissed off about what he writes and not actually thinking about the fact that this is coming from somewhere. He's not just pulling this out of his ass. Maybe he doesn't care about his relationship with the franchise as does some of the other reporters.

I'm not pissed off. Why would you think that? If anything I just roll my eyes at TK, and have for years. It's not like this is recent behavior for him. So, discredit - sure thing. I totally discredit him (and Florio) because they lack objectivity. Any reporter worth their salt would have no problem acknowledging both good and bad things that owners do. TK has said he would be "the first to praise" York if he made a good hire. He's made a good hire, and he has certainly not been the first to praise him. That, to me, speaks more to TK's agenda, bias and character than it does of York's.

49ers throwing him out and suing him might have something to do with TKs comments. However I have seen his similar comments of tough talk about the other Bay Area sports teams. He takes pride in blocking people who criticize him and it works coz rubbernecking is a real phenomenon.
Originally posted by awp8912:
What a shocker fellas, not like most of us have been saying this sine 2014!! It was always this bum not JED!

People really need to go back through and read this thread carefully.

Originally posted by dj43:
One thing I trust will come out of all these interviews with prospective GMs from successful teams is that Jed will get a clearer picture of how successful teams run their organization. You cannot talk to 6-8 people about how they run their business and how they might run yours without gaining a great deal of knowledge.

I also trust that Jed's ego has been substantially damaged by the past 3 years that he will be paying attention and make reasonable changes.

I may be proved wrong on all that but I just don't believe someone can sit and watch this train wreck for 3 years sit and listen.

I'd say that firing Kelly was such an indication. I'd put the fault of the Kelly firing 50% on Baalke going (because you couldn't stick a GM with a lameduck coach), 40% on York recognizing it was a mistake to try to pair Baalke and Kelly, and only 10% on how Kelly ran the team for the year he was here. So, really, 90% of Kelly being shown the door IMO was because of Jed's faults, and not Kelly's. That's an ego swallow, even despite the bluntness that York won't fire himself. He may not fire himself, but he can certainly be willing to let Shanny/GM run the show on his behalf without stepping on their toes. All in theory, of course. The future is yet to be written.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

49ers throwing him out and suing him might have something to do with TKs comments. However I have seen his similar comments of tough talk about the other Bay Area sports teams. He takes pride in blocking people who criticize him and it works coz rubbernecking is a real phenomenon.

Woah - I wasn't familiar with this. Link?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Once the new coach and GM are actually working every day, if they find Paraag to be a cancer, it will be this same b******t all over again. This is what they are saying (and hinting was an issue with the past few coaches and GM). I honestly don't know much about this guy and have no idea whats truth or exagerrated or anything other than he does the contracts and does them well.

I would imagine the coach and GM say we want this FA, go sign him. If he says no it doesn't match my cap space algorithm who wins? lol Again i have no idea how their workflow is.

If the coach and GM stick together, its going to be hard for Marathe to push them both out or mess around too much. It is important for those two guys to trust each and be able to work well together and not get lured into the petty, backbiting nonsense that has gone on over the past few years. Together they can do a lot to change the culture and even minimize Marathe's role if they have continued success.

Harbaugh got screwed because Baalke went b***h-made and turned on him. If they are having success and you fire both the HC and the GM, fans would burn the stadium down.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 18, 2017 at 2:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Once the new coach and GM are actually working every day, if they find Paraag to be a cancer, it will be this same b******t all over again. This is what they are saying (and hinting was an issue with the past few coaches and GM). I honestly don't know much about this guy and have no idea whats truth or exagerrated or anything other than he does the contracts and does them well.

I would imagine the coach and GM say we want this FA, go sign him. If he says no it doesn't match my cap space algorithm who wins? lol Again i have no idea how their workflow is.

If the coach and GM stick together, its going to be hard for Marathe to push them both out or mess around too much. It is important for those two guys to trust each and be able to work well together and not get lured into the petty, backbiting nonsense that has gone on over the past few years. Together they can do a lot to change the culture and even minimize Marathe's role if they have continued success.

Harbaugh got screwed because Baalke went b***h-made and turned on him. If they are having success and you fire both the HC and the GM, fans would burn the stadium down.

Paraag already planning a scheme to get the GM closer to him over the HC.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This is a great point - if Harbaugh and Baalke had been close enough to present a united front then it's highly unlikely that Harbaugh gets shown the door. That occurred because Baalke ultimately sided with York (or vice versa) against Harbaugh. The main thing with Shanny and the new HC is that they got each others' backs - which is exactly what York said he wants. I think even Jed recognizes that if the HC/GM are in lock step and they both tell him he's wrong about something he would be willing to trust them.
Share 49ersWebzone