There are 226 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Certainly not refuting that on any level. But I'm now really wondering how much control a GM here really has. It's something to keep an eye on.

Yea i didn't think you were. I meant "as a person" that thinks Baalke needed to go, I'm still not buying everything that's being leaked.

If Jed hasn't finally learned his lesson, we're in big trouble for a really long time.

Gotcha (and agreed)
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
Are you sure?

If he was GM, they would have just promoted him by now. Then I'd be there with you guys. But right now, I just see irrational hate because this team is 2-14. I attribute 100% of that on Trent Baalke who has tanked this roster with his bust picks.

A Corporate Officer position and Executive Vice President title to a General Manager title would be a demotion not a promotion.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He makes play call suggestions
He wrote the Field Management Guide that dictates what should be done in certain game situations and he has made all coaches since Nolan carry it
He wrote the guide for hiring coaches tha the 49ers have used since Nolan was hired
He has been a part of or led every coaching hunt since Nolan
He evaluates football dtalent for the draft and FA
He is the EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS
He is the CHIEF STRATEGY OFFICER

But he's not the GM who makes final decisions on draft day. And he's not a coach who makes final decisions on play calls. He's an analytics guy who worked at some random firm and he just gives data. Like honestly, what is the big deal?
I don't think you're getting it. The problem is that he's been allowed to do just that from York!!, and it caused all kinds of issues internally. And if Paraag is allowed to write Field Mgt., or second guess the HC I guarantee you that those same internal issues will continue, and so will the losing. THAT's the big deal.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
2004-2010: Paraag is one of the reasons why we are terrible
2011-2014: Paraag is the best in the business at what he does
2015-2016: Jed needs to fire Paraag (I have said this as well)

seems like he's our favorite scapegoat
I never felt #2 and have been in favor of having Marathe out of leadership in football operations since the beginning.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
2004-2010: Paraag is one of the reasons why we are terrible
2011-2014: Paraag is the best in the business at what he does
2015-2016: Jed needs to fire Paraag (I have said this as well)

seems like he's our favorite scapegoat

Well he has his hand in virtually everything and the majority of the time this team has been garbage so its not outlandish to state that he carries a fair share of the blame. When Harbaugh reportedly had to kick the dude out of his office, its fair to wonder if he's maybe a tad bit overly involved.

When he cut off Walsh and McVay from making certain trades at the very beginning of his career with the 49ers, its pretty fair to question that with his power having increased greatly since that time, how much more of his influence is he imposing on who the team looks at in free agency and the draft. If he was willing to say no to legends like Walsh and McVay, what would stop him from denying some of the flunkies that have followed them?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 4, 2017 at 12:05 PM ]
I bet Jed and Paraag are freaking out now over all the media attention Paraag is getting now and questions surrounding his true involvement and title with the team. Jed seems to literally, go out of his way to shield him and steer as far away as possible from EVP of Football Operation questions. "GM and HC need to fight for each other...like Paraag and I fight over curry."
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I don't think you're getting it. The problem is that he's been allowed to do just that from York!!, and it caused all kinds of issues internally. And if Paraag is allowed to write Field Mgt., or second guess the HC I guarantee you that those same internal issues will continue, and so will the losing. THAT's the big deal.

I thought we were losing because Baalke kept picking bust players and we decided to run a gimmick college offense this year with a bunch of guys that didn't fit his specific scheme.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Jan 4, 2017 at 12:05 PM ]
I thought we were losing because Baalke kept picking bust players and we decided to run a gimmick college offense this year with a bunch of guys that didn't fit his specific scheme.

And in four years from now, if this organization is having the exact same issues, are you going to continue pinning the blame on Baalke still? Because these issues have been present before Baalke ever joined the organization. Everyone else has been held accountable but two guys, one being the owner(or the son of the owners) of which nothing can be done about and the other being Marathe. At what point in time will you feel it is fair to hold him accountable?
A Corporate Officer position and Executive Vice President title to a General Manager title would be a demotion not a promotion.

Fair enough.

So how does that affect football decisions? Can he overrule the GM if he decides that he doesn't like the players he picks?
Fair enough.

So how does that affect football decisions? Can he overrule the GM if he decides that he doesn't like the players he picks?

We know he overruled Bill Walsh back when he had substantially less power.

Marathe's ascension coincided with the departure of Walsh and director of football operations John McVay, which could have been more than a coincidence. Privately, neither liked the statistical approach Donahue espoused. Marathe and his computer shot down Walsh and McVay's trade proposals during the 2003 draft. This didn't sit well with either man, who had built the 49ers' success partly on their impulses.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/WHO-IS-PARAAG-MARATHE-Numbers-added-up-to-2703495.php

If he was willing to say no to a legend like Bill, even as a virtual neophyte, what is he willing to do now with far more power?

Fair enough.

I would imagine he could. He is going to be one of the two people hiring that GM.

Ok, so you think teams can win with the FO dysfunctional?
Anyone else think that Rapoport speaks so highly about Paraag because that's who his "confidential" insider is?
NFL insider Ian Rapoport may be baffled by the difference in the national and local opinion regarding Paraag Marathe, but Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee clearly is not. Barrows joined "Murph & Mac" on KNBR 680 this morning to touched on the topic of Marathe and the frustrations surrounding the 49ers executive.

Barrows was asked what he thinks of Rapoport saying that Marathe is highly respected around the NFL. "With what Paraag does, the contract, you know, he's their top contract negotiator and he's their salary cap guru," Barrows said. "In those realms, he's great. I don't think there's any complaint about that. Remember, the 49ers of yesteryear, when you covered them Murph, had all sorts of salary cap issues and they were bumping against the cap and they had to cut guys left and right. That was that year when they had to get rid of [Terrell Owens] and Jeff Garcia and Garrison Hearst and Derrick Deese all in one fell swoop. Once Paraag took over, those issues went away.

"The issue with Paraag among coaches and GMs is when he starts to sit in on the football meetings and they are like, 'Why is the non-football guy part of this meeting?' And apparently, that was an issue for Chip Kelly this year as well if you read that really good Yahoo! Sports report that came out yesterday.

"If Paraag is sticking to the things that he's good at, I don't think there's any issue with him. The issues have come up in the past when he's dabbling with football-related matters."

You can listen to the entire interview on KNBR 680.

It would seem that Marathe will be "dabbling with the football-related matters" when it comes to finding both a new head coach and general manager. "Paraag will be with me in the interviews," 49ers CEO Jed York said on Monday. "We've certainly done research together and will be moving forward."

The final decision will be York's – whether or not the team CEO is qualified enough to make such a decision. "Ultimately, the decision will rest with me," a confident York said
. - See more at: http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/102378-barrows-paraag-marathe-issues-when-dabbling-football-matters/#sthash.qFbaaiw6.dpuf

Ok, so you think teams can win with the FO dysfunctional?

They can but it will take a lot of luck (like landing Harbaugh) and will not likely be sustainable (chasing Harbaugh off).
Share 49ersWebzone