LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
Folks critical of Marathe because he's not a football guy.

Folks critical of Marathe for sitting in on football meetings.

Maybe he is constantly hungry for exposure to as much as he can absorb about football.

Like it's his job, or something?

I am critical of him because he has been a big part of football operations since the early 2000s and most of those years have been a disaster.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Interesting how when we were winning, peoples comments on Paraag were different. Check out the first page of this thread.

Check out the comments on Baalke back in mid 2011. Winning changes a lot but we've seen the same problems with this franchise continually going back awhile and the same concerns about Marathe have emerged again and again. At this point, considering that this team has made so many changes, the same issues shouldn't happen anymore, if they do, there's only two guys who have been here all that time. They have to run out of scapegoats at some point.
Like him or not, I'm pretty sure Paraag is the guy people go to with questions. I don't think he's the one pulling strings.

Maybe, but if that is the case it would seem that the answers he gives are mostly wrong.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM ]
Interesting how when we were winning, peoples comments on Paraag were different. Check out the first page of this thread.

Because that was specifically contract related. In 15 years, we have only been good for 3 of them. This guy is the President of Football Ops and now needs to be held accountable for all things football and not just simply praised for his contracts negotiating abilities.

If his title was Contract Strategist or something, I would think he is the best one in the league. But it isn't. No different than I praise Jed for making a s**t load of money off the business side of the 49ers but sucking major at the football side of it.

All related to contracts of which he's a boss.

I have a list of internal FA's I want him to sign right now...

Hope we don't let Kerley get away b/c Ellington is 100% medically cleared (cheaper route).
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I don't really understand all the hate for this guy, when all he does is contracts. He let Kaepernick void his contract which is brilliant, otherwise we would have been stuck with this bum for even longer.

There is no proof that he does leaks, or has any meddling with the coaching staff. Only unsubstantiated rumors and fan lashing because they probably want a scapegoat after losing so many games.

Anyone want to prove me wrong with real proof? And no, I'm not a corporate shill working for the 49ers front office. Just legitimately curious.

He makes play call suggestions
He wrote the Field Management Guide that dictates what should be done in certain game situations and he has made all coaches since Nolan carry it
He wrote the guide for hiring coaches tha the 49ers have used since Nolan was hired
He has been a part of or led every coaching hunt since Nolan
He evaluates football dtalent for the draft and FA
He is the EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS
He is the CHIEF STRATEGY OFFICER

See, that is really concerning for me. If York is to hire top, respected GM's and HC's the above will have to change, or else they will scare the best candidates away.
He wrote the Field Management Guide that dictates what should be done in certain game situations and he has made all coaches since Nolan carry it
He wrote the guide for hiring coaches tha the 49ers have used since Nolan was hired

But he's not the GM who makes final decisions on draft day. And he's not a coach who makes final decisions on play calls. He's an analytics guy who worked at some random firm and he just gives data. Like honestly, what is the big deal?

We are reminded many times that winning is the only thing that matters!

People can change their minds about how good those that have control over outcomes are by the results on the field. You may say that Paraag is still great in a business sense though since the Yorks are still making bucket loads of money.
But he's not the GM who makes final decisions on draft day. And he's not a coach who makes final decisions on play calls. He's an analytics guy who worked at some random firm and he just gives data. Like honestly, what is the big deal?

Are you sure?

Says who?
And, his data has gotten the 49ers to where they are today.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 4, 2017 at 11:53 AM ]

Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
Didn't we just sign a futures contract? Who does this in isolation from the GM or coach? Is this normal?

It shows you how reactive Jed/Paraag are. Both Kelly and Baalke were signing players via Paraag based on both Kelly's and Baalke's recommendations for NEXT year and beyond in identifying players that Kelly (and even O'Neil) wanted to fit their systems; hence the resigning of Vance McDonald and Ray-Ray Armstrong. In fact, Baalke made comments that there could be several more signings that month (December). They all halted suddenly.

Based on the timing and the comments made by Kelly on his "great" relationship with Baalke just 3 weeks ago (and confirmed again today), the decision to move on from both of these men went down pretty quickly over the past couple weeks, would be my guess...with both unaware of each other's pink slip.

There's your culture.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 4, 2017 at 11:58 AM ]
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
Are you sure?

If he was GM, they would have just promoted him by now. Then I'd be there with you guys. But right now, I just see irrational hate because this team is 2-14. I attribute 100% of that on Trent Baalke who has tanked this roster with his bust picks.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Certainly not refuting that on any level. But I'm now really wondering how much control a GM here really has. It's something to keep an eye on.

Yea i didn't think you were. I meant "as a person" that thinks Baalke needed to go, I'm still not buying everything that's being leaked.

If Jed hasn't finally learned his lesson, we're in big trouble for a really long time.
If he was GM, they would have just promoted him by now. Then I'd be there with you guys. But right now, I just see irrational hate because this team is 2-14. I attribute 100% of that on Trent Baalke who has tanked this roster with his bust picks.

GM would be a demotion for him at this point. The new GM will be answering to him, not the other way around.
2004-2010: Paraag is one of the reasons why we are terrible
2011-2014: Paraag is the best in the business at what he does
2015-2016: Jed needs to fire Paraag (I have said this as well)

seems like he's our favorite scapegoat
Share 49ersWebzone