LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

GM McCloughan (possibly) stepping down????

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'm sure this all because of Spiller.

Could all this really be over who to draft? That would be stupid.
LMAO at all the drama theories you guys are throwing out there
Im all about stability and cohesion...this is gettin me bothered. We have alot of promising young pieces and i wanted to keep this thing going. Hmm...i'll be glued here for the night now
Unbelievable...lets see whats up fellas....
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Maybe Coach Singletary's acting too much like Coach/GM Singletary!

Brian Billick as GM?

O HELL YEAH! BRAIN BILLICK

That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea, I actually kind of like it. He also has ties with the 49ers!!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Its called excitement!!!!!
Someone is speculating on Maiocco's blog that maybe Jed wanted to trade up for Clausen (being that Jed is a Notre Dame alum), or maybe Singletary wanted to trade for McNabb.

If McCloughan steps down, I fully expect a big trade to happen.
Originally posted by steiber:

I was joking....
Originally posted by steiber:

True, because NOWIN was in charge for the first 3 years.

The company line is that the draft is ALWAYS about who the best player on THEIR board is.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Someone is speculating on Maiocco's blog that maybe Jed wanted to trade up for Clausen (being that Jed is a Notre Dame alum), or maybe Singletary wanted to trade for McNabb.

......or Singletary wants to sign Terrell Owens!!!!

Originally posted by vrabbit:

well, that's all we can do until Maiocco reports something.
3 hours huh
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Damn....or Pacman
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Good, and here's why:

#1. McCloughan doesn't come from the background of a vertical offense. He comes from WCO teams. Seattle and Green Bay as the top recent teams he's worked for before the 49ers.

#2. McCloughan was given GM powers because Nolan was doing bad as a head coach and he may have left for other opportunities. He was in a position of high leverage to earn that GM title.

#3. People credit McCloughan for drafting Gore and Willis, but it actually occurred under Nolan's tenure as the lead guy for personal decisions.

#4. Under McCloughan's power, we've drafted the following players in the first three rounds:

R1: Kentwan Balmer (Backup, potential bust)
R2: Chilo Rachal (borderline starter, needs to step up his game)
R3: Reggie Smith (Backup, injured plauged, potential bust)

R1: Michael Crabtree (no brainer pick, good job)
R2: Traded Away
R3: Glen Coffee (bust in his first year, backup player to Gore for right now)

And our free agency activity hasn't really been stellar outside of Justin Smith and Takeo Spikes. You got guys like DeMetic Evans, Brandon Jones, and now David Carr to secure depth at the 3rd or 2nd string level. That doesn't really make a 7-9 team jump to 10-6.

#5. The trading of Shaun Hill and the treatment of the player was basically the nail in the coffin for him. You take a player that is loved in the locker room and admired by the coaching staff, and trade him...without even notifying him directly. That's classless and Nolanesque.

In order for teams to be effective, owners must trust management, management must trust players, and players must believe in the other two. This is how the Patriots did it, and this is how the 49ers did it in the 80s and 90s.

With McCloughan's track record and inactivity in free agency and the draft to give Singletary a fair shot in 2010, while teams like Seattle and Arizona are gearing up to pose another threat for the NFC West crown, this is a necessary move.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, jackass.

OR

The 49ers are pulling a Milton on him, and moving him in the basement of the headquarters.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Or better yet, TO and Vick. Scott stepped down because he is a hardcore animal rights activist.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone